No School Bus. No after School Program.
Posted by BSB (+630) 5 years ago
Seriously?

Why is it that the elementary schools are so concerned with getting lockers in the building, but have shown no initiative to get a school bus or after school program?

This seems like a huge oversight. Its no wonder there are so many people having difficulty finding work when they can't start until after 8am and have to leave before 3:00 M, T, TH, FR and before 2:00 on W.

[Edited by busyB (9/22/2015 2:48:35 PM)]
+2
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3637) 5 years ago
Am I to understand that there is no more buses running to the elementary schools in Miles City? If so, when and why did this occur?
Posted by Steve Allison (+974) 5 years ago
As far as I know there are school buses for Miles City and the surrounding areas and there is the R.O.C.K.S. after school program that has it's own bus and picks up the students at the schools, takes them to the R.O.C.K.S. building and takes care of them providing snakes and all kinds of fun activities until the parents come pick them up at at around 5PM.
+1
Posted by nativemc (+893) 5 years ago
I would like to see somebody from the school system reply to this post. I am not positive about this but I don't believe there were ever any busses for the school system other than the rural bus routes and the handicapped children. There was a time back in the late 90's and early 2000's that I was trying to get a bus to run to Southgate or stop on the way in from the Tongue River bus route. I was told at that time that if a child lived within 3 miles of the school he/she attended then bus service was not a requirement and the Miles City School District was not willing to offer that service. somebody please clarify this.
+3
Posted by rnsjbs (+107) 5 years ago
We've spoken with the school several times. No bus. No after school program. We contacted ROCKS but they are full and aren't taking anymore students.

We were told it would be too expensive to institute a bus system. I asked about the state reimbursement program for school districts but they dismissed it and essentially brushed me off.

This has a huge impact on my husband and I.

There is a mileage reimbursement program that you can apply for, but it is nearly nothing. Plus, the little reimbursement they offer you, in no way, covers missing work or losing your job over having to constantly leave.

This is such a black mark on this school district.

If they can't afford a bus, that's one thing... But to also not have an on-site after school program is just sad.

It leaves these kids out walking in the cold, getting into trouble or puts parents in a very difficult situation when it comes to their careers.

It really seems like it's being ignored.

But hey... The third graders will have their own lockers!
+2
Posted by rnsjbs (+107) 5 years ago
We also live in Southgate near the end of the neighborhood. It is exactly 3.6 miles to Lincoln. Outside of the 3 mile cut off.

Still.... No bus.
+1
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11447) 5 years ago
One of ironies of Southgate is they built low income housing and pushed it for families even though there was no bus. Not then. Not now.

So, go to a school board meeting. Get it on the agenda. Get some numbers. (I suspect lockers are cheaper than buses, especially when it come to maintenance.) Organize other parents who are in the same situation. If you want change, you have to make it.
+7
Posted by Phil Shifley (+122) 5 years ago
I don't know why everyone is complaining, when I was a kid we had to walk three and a half miles one way to school. That's not far but it was uphill both ways and thank God for the old steel lunch boxes, in the winter of 79 I had to kill a polar bear with mine.

I got lucky, the hot chocolate/Schnapps in my thermos had froze, giving my trusty lunch box the added oomph it needed to do the job.... I got a gold star at show and tell that morning.

[Edited by Phil Shifley (9/23/2015 9:35:49 AM)]
+7
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14728) 5 years ago
You are surprised by no buses or after school programs? Really? Look at the fiscal beliefs of those you are electing to county and state government. They don't like spending money for such luxuries as school buses. This is the county that lived with a split-shift rather than build a new high school.  If you want change, you're going to have to elect more progressive representitves. Pretty simple.
+4
Posted by Phil Shifley (+122) 5 years ago
A whole slug of elected officials (good and bad) have come and gone this whole time Richard, you know this. Who is in office doesn't change the fact that we don't have money and people aren't lining up to pay higher taxes.
+1
Posted by Joe R. Whalen (+225) 5 years ago
BSB - I pass a nearly empty inbound large school bus every day shortly on Highway 59 S. that rolls right by Southgate at about 7:15 a.m. and can think of no good reason why it shouldn't stop at Horizon Parkway and pick kids up for school.

You might suggest that option to your school board at the board meeting. There's really no good reason not to call the district office, request that the item be added to the agenda, attend and speak up at the meeting if you're willing to raise the issue here.
+6
Posted by Oddjob (+187) 5 years ago
It is the school district's obligation to educate your children. It is not their obligation (or the taxpayers) to provide day care or transportation within a reasonable walking or commute distance as set by State Law and district policy.

We old farts are all sorry you decided to ruin life as you knew it and become parents, but that's what's known as a personal problem.

We just hate to have to tell you that, but it's true and will be for the rest of your lives.

Do take comfort in the fact that unless you totally blow it, they will be gone from your sight some day.
+4
Posted by busyB (+630) 5 years ago
...and as I could have only assumed, there are those who literally jump at the opportunity to just take shots at any topic.

So, as per the state law - and your humble opinion - the school should not be responsible for transportation within walking distance...

What about the parents above who's children would be walking over 7 miles a day...down HW59?

You seriously consider that within walking distance?

Not only that, but no one asked for daycare. After school programs are instituted all over this country and more importantly this state as both a means of revenue for the school and a way to prevent crime and mischief of children after school.

The fact is that Custer County is falling behind every other major community in the state when it comes to the school system. That's the issue. They've consistently just brushed off the issue.

You shouldn't have to choose between having a career and having children. News bulletin: in order to properly care for children, people have to work.

If you have nothing but insults to contribute, I suggest you withholding contribution.

This is a discussion on how to better the situation, not an opportunity to take shots at the parents of our community.
+2
Reply to busyB (#361604)
busyB wrote:
What about the parents above who's children would be walking over 7 miles a day...down HW59?

You seriously consider that within walking distance?

No. I expect the school district to abide by it's policy and make accommodations for students who meet the criteria for being bused.

That's what you go to the Superintendent and School Board to bitch about. Not to whine for favoritism or un-affordable mass transit systems. Bitch about the kids who are falling through the cracks because that is a real problem.

The rest of your post is nothing but the usual Liberal hooey. After school programs are day care. Full day kindergarten is day care. I don't care what label you put on it. The only other label that fits is teacher union relief. The lamest excuse for it is the one you used. After school programs are no deterrent to criminals who want to be criminals.

My wife of 40 years and I raised 3 kids to be functional human beings in 3 different school districts and still maintained careers, so I know what it takes. Quit whining and deal with the system you have and don't be blaming other people for the way you plan your life. Failing that, go somewhere else and maybe someone will accommodate you on the backs of their taxpayers.
+1
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14728) 5 years ago
^^^ the arch-type for the "strict father model" has spoken.
+2
Perfect.

I have never met the man but I get psychoanalysis, courtesy of Richard Bonine, Jr.

Well, what do you expect, Richard? Got it at home, got it at school and so did everyone else that I knew.

Apparently those nuns were done whacking the s*** out of the male students by the time you got there.

I had all 12 years of it. It left an indelible mark on your personality (and some on your physical person). Most of the ones who endured the "hands-on" education at SHHS that I have stayed in touch with over the years, were successful high achievers with some fantastic, well adjusted kids.

What a horrible thing your "strict Father model" is....

I have no regrets, Richard and I am extremely proud of what our children have accomplished in spite of a strict father (and Mother), no school bus and no after school programs other than chores and homework.

[Edited by Oddjob (9/26/2015 9:26:38 AM)]
+1
Posted by gene grose (+7) 5 years ago
Schools are not there to make a parent's life easier. No way does any school make money on an Afer-School program. The funds have to be taken from somewhere else. Such as Title 1services. By the way one one school in the district gets Title 1 funds. That money is used to help struggling students. Schools need to stop being a parent. The staffs are doing a good job teaching on such limited funds. Find oil or coal in the district so we can have a larger tax base. Until then start a car pool or find a baby sitter.
as to all day kindergarten you need to see what is being taught. The teachers are teaching them hat use to be taught in first grade. All expectations are higher in every grade. Some of you old farts couldn't pass an eighth grade test today.
+1