Miles City’s first steps in preservation, 1984
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+9694) 4 years ago
Miles City’s first steps in preservation, 1984

When I next returned to Miles City in March 1984, I found a town much interested in the promise of historic preservation. At that time, the town and Custer County as a whole only had three properties listed in the National Register of Historic Places: Fort Keogh, a steam laundry building (since demolished), and the city waterworks along the Yellowstone river.

This local landmark, which had been converted into the Custer County Arts and Heritage Center, came out of Miles City’s golden decade of the 1910s when the town boomed following the arrival of the Milwaukee Road, the railroad’s decision to turn the town into a division point, and the potential of new business brought about by the arrival of thousands of homesteaders either on the Milwaukee line or the earlier Northern Pacific Railroad, which had done so much to establish and develop the town from 1882 forward.

Read More: http://montanahistoriclan...tion-1984/
+1
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6169) 4 years ago
I urge all Miles City residents to visit the Art Center regularly. It has a permanent collection of western themed art and photos but also has exhibits that span the breadth of art and media. Local artists are also shown. It's really a nice little gallery.
+2