The Peden's
Posted by Belfastbeau (+12) 4 years ago
Hello everyone.
I'm stuck here in Belfast NI and need some help regarding the Peden family in Miles City. I've been told that they were a well known family in the Montana area and would like to hear from anyone who could help with information.Better still a living family member would be fantastic. Hopefully Belfast Beau.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+9867) 4 years ago
I don't have a living family member but while doing the history column for the Miles City Star, I came across the obituary on Sept. 3, 1940, for a 96 year-old Mrs. Ellen Peden. She had five surviving children (listed by name), 19 grandchildren, 30 great-grandchildren and three great-great grandchildren (not named.) If you are interested, I can copy the obit for you.
Reply to Amorette Allison (#361414)
Hi Amorette.
I'm really pleased you replied to my post, I've been browsing the forum hoping something somewhere would mention the Peden name. Your obviously quite involved in the running of the forum and thanks to your good work I can now add quite a few more names to our Family Tree. This family originated in Scotland and Ireland, although most of the Historians have been mistaken because they both arrived in the USA on a ship that sailed from Scotland. Letitia (Nelson)Peden was born in Barnaghmaghery, Killinchy, Co.Down, Ireland now Northern Ireland. I'd be delighted if you would send me a copy of the Obituary. Belfast beau.
supporter
Posted by cori schock (+177) 4 years ago
It appears that David Peden has two great grand daughters who live in Montana. Dotty Cauthron Watts(husband Herbert) in Livingston and Roberta Mae Cauthron in Bozeman. Great great grzndsons Kenneth Watts and Charles Watts. I have to go out to the Range Riders next weekend, and I will ask the curator if he can point me in the direction of David Peden's photo and information. I bet there will be some good history on Mr. Peden out there!
+1
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+9694) 4 years ago
I believe I'm related to the Peden family. I don't have access to my genealogy database at the moment, but ...

My great-grandfather's biography mentions Dave Peden it:

Around 1900 Mr. McFarland came to Miles City where he also had relatives. He worked at the County Farm for several years which was managed by Dave Peden.

http://milescity.com/hist...raphies/79

Dusting Off the Old Ones also mentions Dave Peden:

Among the cowboys who worked for the E2 during the companies' operations were such fellows as Dave Peden, Allie Ward, Jimmy Gibson, Ray Tarbell and Johnnie Milroy.

http://milescity.com/hist...s/dotoo/24

And also mentions their daughter, Julia Peden:

Other early-day employees of the exchange were Miss Ada Vance, who was the first night operator, Mabel Henderson, Julia Peden and Ethel Weaver.

http://milescity.com/hist...s/dotoo/17
+1
admin
founder
DAVID AND LETITIA NELSON PEDEN

Something about this area of the United States has a special appeal to people of Scottish decent as the considerable vigor of the Caledonian Society here proves. One of these Scottish families had to travel a round-about route to arrive, but it did.

David Peden was born Nov. 25, 1863, in Ayrshire, Scotland, and Letitia Nelson Nov. 22, 1858 in Edinburgh, Scotland. Davie’s parents, John and Ellen McFarland Peden moved about 1866 to Ireland where Dave received his education so it was from Ireland that he came to the United States to settle first in Battle Creek, Mich., in 1884. Miss Nelson had come to Battle Creek two years earlier to join a brother.

On Apr. 5, 1887, Dave and Letitia were married and left for New Mexico Territory, arriving in Raton. They worked on a ranch until he left June 1, 1892, with a trail herd for Montana (E2 Ranch), arriving Sept. 25, 1892, on the lower Powder River about 40 miles from Miles City.

Dave continued to work for the E2 where Mrs. Peden was known as the “Cowboys’ Angel.” She administered to the sick and was also an excellent cook and any cowboy arriving at their home knew he could get a good meal. If no one was at home, the cowboys would cook a meal, wash the dishes and leave the house in order.

Mrs. Peden had pets including two antelope with rather unusual names, a sheep, a dog and two cats which followed her about the ranch. In the evening she would call, “Malcolm, Mathew” and the antelope would come bounding over the sage brush for their supper.

In 1899, Dave was appointed superintended of the Custer County Farm. In 1907 the family moved to a farm in the valley. His brand was NW.

Dave threshed grain of various kinds for farmers for miles around. The machine was operated by a “whim” to which horses were hitched and moved in a circle for power. Later he bought a J. I. Case steam engine and pulled the thrasher from farm to farm to provide power. His daughter, Julia, known as Jo, also became very proficient in operating the engine.

The farm families gathered at the Kircher School for Saturday night dances. Each family took turns providing the midnight lunch. In winter a team was hitched to a bobsled which contained buffalo robes and heated soapstones for warmth and the family would be off to a country dance, maybe in the Pine Hills.

Mr. and Mrs. Peden were members of the Caledonian Society of Miles City and enjoyed Scottish gatherings.

In 1911 they sold the farm and moved to Miles City where Dave joined the police force. In 1920 they moved to Big Rapids, Mich., and farmed but the next year he sold the farm and returned to Miles City. Dave worked at Ft. Keogh then until about 1927 when he became a guard at the State Penitentiary at Deer Lodge. About 1936 he returned to Ft. Keogh for a time and then went back to work at Deer Lodge, retiring in 1941.

Mrs. Peden died in August, 1941, and Dave in March, 1947. Both are buried in Custer County cemetery in Miles City.

Peden children were, Julia Emily who married Charles Edridge and lived in Portland and Earle Stuart who married Myrtle Barton and lived in Miles City, are deceased. Agnes Stuart married Sterley A. Miller and lives in Billings.

-- Transcribed from Fanning the Embers, p. 325-326, published 1971, Range Rider Reps, Miles City, Montana.

+1
admin
founder
EARLE STUART PEDEN

Earle Peden arrived in Montana with his mother and sister, Julia, in 1892 by train to live on a ranch in the Ekalaka area. Earle had been born June 2, 1889, in Raton, New Mexico Territory, to Dave and Letitia Nelson Peden.

Dave Peden joined his family in September, 1892, making the trip north with a trail herd for the E2 Concord Cattle Co. Earl learned to ride horses at an early age and as soon as he was old enough helped on the roundups and with the branding. After the family moved to the Custer County Farm, where his father was superintendent, Earle helped with the farm work as he also helped when they began farming in the valley. Earle broke horses to ride and to drive or work as a team.

Earle attended schools at Glenrock, Kircher and Miles City and went to an auctioneering school in Missouri about 1909. On June 8, 1911, he was married to Myrtle Barton in Miles City.

About 1916 Earle was a city fireman and in 1918 he was a fireman on the Milwaukee Railroad in Miles City but when in 1919 employment in that line became very uncertain the family moved to a farm at Big Rapids, Mich. They farmed there for a few years and then returned to Montana. Earle worked at the Ft. Keogh Experiment Station until retiring in 1958 and also helped at the sales yards when sales of cattle, horses, sheep and hogs were at their peak.

Earle and Myrtle Peden had three children. Their son, Glen, and his wife, Millie, live in San Diego, Calif. They also had twin girls, Davina and Rosina, who both live in Miles City. Davina (Dot) is the wife of William (Dutch) Fulton and Rosina is the wife of Anton Spek. Rosina’s first two husbands are both deceased.

Earle Peden died Jan. 23, 1961, and is buried in Custer County Cemetery.

-- Transcribed from Fanning the Embers, p. 326, published 1971, Range Rider Reps, Miles City, Montana.

+1
founder
supporter
Miles City Daily Star, Tuesday, September 3, 1940

Funeral services for the late Mrs. Ellen Peden, 96 year old resident of Miles City for the past 33 years, were held Tuesday afternoon among beautiful floral decorations in the First Presbyterian Church, where she had held a membership since coming to the city with her husband in 1907.

Relatives and friends of the aged woman gathered at the church for the ceremony which was conducted by Dr. Charles A. Hawley, interim pastor at the church. Beautiful music for the occasion was arranged by Mrs. Edgar Taylor.

The late Mrs. Peden was born in Raffery, County Down, Ireland, on April 17, 1844, and in 1861 she was united in marriage to John Peden in Ireland. Eleven children were born to the couple, five of whom survive. The surviving children include Davis Peden, Deer Lodge; Mrs. Mary Hall, Sugrite, N.M.; Mrs. Mary Arkle, Nodesha, Kansas; James Peden, Miles City, and and Mrs. E. V. Wilson of Miles City.

The beloved woman was blessed with the privilege of living during the birth of five generations of direct descendants. Besides her sons and daughters, she is survived by 19 grandchildren, 30 great grandchildren and three great great grandchildren.

Mr. and Mrs. Peden moved to the United States from Ireland and after residing in New Mexico for 17 years, they moved to Montana and later Miles City. Mr. Peden preceded his wife in death, having passed away 21 years ago. After his death, the late Mrs. Peden made her home with her daughter, Mrs. E. V. Wilson.

The host of friends of the deceased woman and her relatives expressed their sorrow at the passing of the kindly woman. While in Ireland, she was united with the Presbyterian church and continued to be an earnest church worker after coming to this country.

ETA: Somebody can't count. She lived to see four generations of direct descendants, not five.

[Edited by Amorette Allison (9/8/2015 6:49:03 PM)]
+2
supporter
Posted by cori schock (+177) 4 years ago
To add to the living relatives, I believe Helen Lundby is the daughter of Davina Peden Fulton.
founder
supporter
Do seem to be different families. For example, there is no 'Earl' listed among the old lady's survivors but, on Sept. 15, 1940, "The Neighbors of Woodcraft Thimble Club met at the home of Mrs. Earl S. Peden at Fort Keogh." You will be happy to know that the hostess served delicious refreshments at the close of the meeting.
Posted by Billie Goggin (+12) 4 years ago
Additional living relatives: David Anderson, Rosalie Hurd, Billie Goggin. Would be interested in information on the Irish family.
admin
founder
I found my genealogy database. The Peden family is definitely part of my family tree. Here's an overview.

NOTE: The following may not be exactly correct, however I believe it's fairly accurate. I researched this 15 years ago, but this branch was not my main focus -- so I don't have a lot of details or sources, basically just notes.

Descendants of John Henry Peden

Generation 1

1. JOHN HENRY PEDEN was born in 1845. He died in 1919. He married ELLEN ELINOR MCFARLANE. She was born in 1843. She died in 1940.

John Henry Peden and Ellen Elinor McFarlane had the following children:

2. i. DAVID PEDEN was born on 25 Nov 1863 in Ayrshire, Scotland. He died in 1947. He married Letitia Nelson on 05 Apr 1887. She was born on 22 Nov 1858. She died in 1941.

ii. AGNES PEDEN was born in 1865. She died in 1873.

iii. SARAH PEDEN was born in 1869. She died in 1949. She married THOMAS HALL.

iv. ELIZABETH BESSIE PEDEN was born in 1870. She died in 1913. She married JOHN PEDEN.

v. JAMES HENRY PEDEN was born in 1874. He died in 1962.

vi. MARY PEDEN was born in 1872. She died in 1972. She married ROBERT ARKLE.

vii. ROBERT MCNEELY PEDEN was born in 1877. He died in 1931.

viii. SAMUEL PEDEN was born in 1879. He died in 1938.

ix. MARGARET PEDEN was born in 1881. She died in 1907.

x. MARTHA MCCLARRY PEDEN was born in 1864. She died in 1980.

xi. THOMAS PEDEN was born in 1882. He died in 1882.

Generation 2

2. DAVID PEDEN was born on 25 Nov 1863 in Ayrshire, Scotland. He died in 1947. He married Letitia Nelson on 05 Apr 1887. She was born on 22 Nov 1858. She died in 1941. David Peden and Letitia Nelson had the following children:

i. JULIA EMILY PEDEN.

ii. EARLE STUART PEDEN.

iii. AGNES STUART PEDEN.
admin
founder
FYI, "Ellen McFarlane-Peden" was Clyde McFarland's great-aunt.

Clyde is still alive in Miles City, 96 years old. I think he's still spry for his age. His granddaughters own/operate the historic Bison Bar, on Main Street.
Posted by Billie Goggin (+12) 4 years ago
@Webmaster - Thank you for sharing the genealogy information. Earl Peden was my grandfather.
admin
founder
Reply to Billie Goggin (#361437)
Cool. I guess that makes us shoestring relatives.

"Ellen McFarlane-Peden" would have been your gg-grandmother, and she my gg-grand aunt.

Her parents, "Hugh McFarlane" and "Sarah Robinson" are our common ancestors. For both of us, they were our ggg-grandparents.
admin
founder
Here's some more info ...

NOTE: The death date of Hugh McFarlane is probably wrong. Perhaps it should have been 1851? I don't have any way to look up the correct info right now.

Ancestors of Ellen Elinor McFarlane

Generation 1

1. ELLEN ELINOR MCFARLANE, daughter of Hugh McFarlane and Sarah Robinson, was born in 1843. She died in 1940. She married JOHN HENRY PEDEN. He was born in 1845. He died in 1919.

Generation 2

2. HUGH MCFARLANE, son of Andrew McFarlane and Jane Johnston, was born in 1821. He died in 1841. He married SARAH ROBINSON.

3. SARAH ROBINSON was born in 1827.

Sarah Robinson and Hugh McFarlane had the following children:

i. Thomas McFarlane was born in 1840.

ii. Ellen Elinor McFarlane was born in 1843. She died in 1940. She married John Henry Peden. He was born in 1845. He died in 1919.

iii. Robert Fisher McFarland was born in 1846. He died in 1910. He married Annie McNeilly. She died in 1928.

Generation 3

4. ANDREW MCFARLANE. He married JANE JOHNSTON.

5. JANE JOHNSTON.

Jane Johnston and Andrew McFarlane had the following child:

i. Hugh McFarlane was born in 1821. He died in 1841. He married Sarah Robinson. She was born in 1827.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+13770) 4 years ago
My wife and I are flying to Scotland next Thursday. I will sip a wee dram in your honor.
+1
Reply to Amorette Allison (#361426)
Hello Amorette.
I'm over the moon with the responses to my posts, I'll have to lock myself in the computer room while I go through all the info. The extended family of John Henry and Ellen Elinor were the biggest surprise, my main interest were the descendants of David and Letitia. My main family interest is from the Nelson line. Please express my thanks to all who contributed to this overwhelming response.I hope I hope will be able to reciprocate research in Northern Ireland if required email [email protected] Again Many thanks.Belfast beau.
Posted by Cory Cunningham (+134) 4 years ago
+2
Posted by Cory Cunningham (+134) 4 years ago
Clyde McFarland is my Great-Grandfather!!

Small world.