G. C. McAlister
Posted by Laurance Bird (+12) 4 years ago
I'm researching the life and work of the architect Glenn Charles McAlister, based in Billings, roughly 1905-1925 (Trail End in Sheridan? That was him). Found a 1921 history that says he also had a ranch at the time in Custer County. Can anyone tell me anything about it? The name? How long he had it? Every little bit welcome, thanks, LRB
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14186) 4 years ago
He was in Powder River County (may have been Custer County at the time)
After you click the link, you can check the map boxes and it will show you where the property was located.

If you click on the Patent Image tab, you can see the land patent signed by Warren G. Harding.

http://www.glorecords.blm...pxwwx3.34l

[Edited by Richard Bonine, Jr. (8/28/2015 10:00:33 PM)]
+2
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+9865) 4 years ago
Bless you, Mr. Bonine, and all the little Bonines.
Posted by Laurance Bird (+12) 4 years ago
Second that, Mr. Bonine, thank you very much and sorry it took me so long. I just mailed in my $2.00 check for a copy from the BLM (we hear rumors, even in Santa Monica, that not everyone is happy with the way the BLM does things, but I appreciate their old-fashioned prices; I don't want to admit what I ended up paying to get a copy of G.C.McAlister's death certificate). Certainly never expected Warren G. Harding to pop up in this story. I'm sure such documents were put in front of him by the hundreds and he never gave a thought to what they actually said, but still, there he is...are you old enough to remember Jayne Mansfield? McAlister designed, in 1929, the house on Sunset Boulevard she and her body-builder husband later bought and turned into her Pink Palace, which means that Harding and Jayne are both part of the McAlister saga. If that isn't truly weird, I don't know what is.
+1