Cowboy Football
Posted by Tim Wagoner (+752) 4 years ago
Anyone talking football yet? How do the boys look this year?
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14183) 4 years ago
Romo looks like he will choke in December again this year to Tim Tebow and the Iggles. 
I guess that works, but I was referring to CCDHS Cowboys... lol
supporter
Posted by kent koester (+281) 4 years ago
The Cowboys will be on the road Friday night as they continue their out of state rivarly with the boys from Powell Wyoming. Should be a competitive game as the Cowboys will look to reload and not rebuild this year behind the talented QB Matt Blount. Of course they will be without the star from last year who accounted for 26 overall touch downs in Alec H.
The Cowboys handeled Powell at home last tear in a return favor the Powell had put on them the year before in Powell.
This is a good test to get the Cowboys ready for an always tuff Eastern A.

KATL crew will have all the action on 770. The Bern man Andrew Bern will have the call and I the statman will have the color duties.

Should be a great year
Let's Go Cowboys
+1
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+13760) 4 years ago
Reply to Richard Bonine, Jr. (#361277)
Richard Bonine, Jr. wrote:
Romo looks like he will choke in December again this year to Tim Tebow and the Iggles. 

+1,000,000!!!
+2
Posted by KATLRadio (+178) 4 years ago
Great insight Statman.

This year, Matthew Blunt assumes the role as the Cowboys starting QB. But don't be fooled - Last year, Blunt tied a CCDHS Record by throwing 19 TD'S (split time with Alec Haughian.)

At running back, the Cowboys return Jared Bartlett (Power Back), Tyler Burk (Speed Back), and welcome Jacob Morris (Speed/Power). Morris (a Junior) moved to Miles City with his family from Florida and helps give the Cowboys 3 dynamic backs.

At WR, Wyatt Lesh moves into the #1 spot (Brett Keith graduated). Juniors Mason Dinardi and Caleb Petross are expected to see a lot of playing time as the team's likely #2 and #3 receivers. Burk and Morris will also be used heavily out of the slot.

At TE, Lane Giovanetti will replace the departed Beau Peaslee.

The biggest area of concern for the Cowboys is their offensive line, which lost 4/5 to graduation.
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6018) 4 years ago
It's Cowboy Football time! As always, I'll be updating records and posting tidbits throughout the season. I am excited to see what the Cowboys can do this year.

Initial thoughts:

- The Cowboys may have lost the most versatile weapon they've had in decades (Haughian), but they return a great deal of talent in Blunt and Burk and Bartlett and Company (I am REALLY looking forward to what Blunt can do for an encore after an underratedly historic junior campaign).

- Miles City will contend with Billings Central (in other news, people in hell want ice water) and Sidney for the Eastern 'A' Conference crown. Laurel returns very little from 2014 and Glendive and Hardin are ... well, Glendive and Hardin.

- If there's a game I am looking forward to this weekend other than the Cowboys vs. Powell, it's Havre hosting Whitefish for the BNSF Trophy. I think this could very well be a preview of the state championship game. There has never been a meeting of two more prolific quarterbacks than the Blue Ponies' Dane Warp and the Bulldogs' Luke May. Both teams are loaded with experienced weapons. Both teams will be fun to watch.
Posted by KATLRadio (+178) 4 years ago
Be sure to listen to 770 KATL or katlradio.com tonight as the Cowboys look to start 2015 off on the right foot. Andrew Bern and Kent Koester will have the call from Powell (Coverage starts at 5:55PM).
founder
Posted by David Schott (+14460) 4 years ago
Final score: Miles City 28, Powell 23
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14183) 4 years ago
Thanks David. Funny how recently all things news and sports have turned into a promotional opportunity for KATL, but they are too cheap to advertise here.
+1
founder
Agreed, Richard, I would like to see KATL advertise here but nevertheless I appreciate KATL's input on the forums. Their contributions are often informative.
Brian,

Are you going to be posting any stats this year. I have not seen any posts from you.
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1660) 4 years ago
I don't know Brian Reed real well, but I do agree that his football stats are very interesting and cool to read.

That said, I know this much about Brian; if he has not been posting his cool stats, it is because there's good reason: he likely has other stuff "going on" that he needs to deal with at the present time...we all have our personal lives outside of football.

I'm fairly sure Brian will come back and post his info in due time when he has the time for it. Best to leave him be until then.
+1
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8297) 4 years ago
It takes a lot of time to perfect that giant anatomically correct statue of Aaron Rodgers.

And then once it's finished, well... what else do you need in life?
+1
Bridgier, that was supposed to be a secret! Oh well ...

Thanks for the kind words, Shu. You're correct - my schedule has been a bit busy this year, but I do have plenty of tidbits to share. I'm going to wait until Katie's story in the Star is published before I post anything on here, though. Keep your eyes open, though. I should have something tonight or tomorrow at the latest.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8297) 4 years ago
And then once it's finished, well... what else do you need in life?

Well, other than a tub of butter of course.
Gold n' Soft margarine, Bridgier. I don't do well with lactose.
founder
Congratulations to the Cowboys football team on their 43-0 win over the Hardin Bulldogs last night!
supporter
Yeah, I did see that they took care of business last night...a good tune-up game for them as Laurel and Billings Central loom next on the schedule.

Being that there are only 3 regular season games remaining, I am pondering playoff scenarios. Brian could shed more light on that, I'm sure, but being that the Cowboys have already beaten Sidney, and then Sidney turned around and beat Laurel last night 26-20, the Cowboys control their playoff destiny at the moment. Obviously wins over Laurel and Billings Central would put them square in the driver's seat for the top playoff spot in the division, but their playoff fate will be determined pretty-much by the result of those next 2 games (and then the season finale with Glendive after that, which I'd be surprised if they were to lose that).

The plot thickens...
supporter
Here's an article in the Gazette which outlines the Eastern A standings/playoff potential pretty well:
http://billingsgazette.co...e56cf.html

With the Cowboys still having 3 conference games left to be played, the present Eastern A standings go like this:

Team / Conf. / Overall
Miles City 2-0 6-0
Blgs Central 2-0 4-1
Laurel 1-1 4-1
Sidney 1-1 4-2
Glendive 0-2 2-3
Hardin 0-2 1-4

One does not want to count chickens before they hatch. However, based on the fact that they now sit at 6-0 and have already won 2 conference games, it would seem that at worst, they would likely finish the regular season 6-3 and get into the playoffs as a wild card team if they were to tank the remaining games from here...but again, no guaranteed spot for the Cowboys if it were to play-out that way.

I look forward to seeing how it all plays out. Meanwhile, best of luck to Miles City as they head to Laurel tomorrow night! Should be a good game.