Posted by AUSTIN8 (-206) 5 years ago
Are ya aware of a petition that is going to be going around. It will start in Billings and go all the way to the confluence, meaning The Yellowstone River. Has to do with ski jets being no longer allowed on the Yellowstone or Tongue River, and 4 wheelers not being allowed on the dike here locally. My opinion is after seeing the way some people operate these machines and show lack of consideration to those fishing from the banks, its a no wonder there is talk of this petition.
+1
supporter
Posted by cj sampsel (+484) 5 years ago
Anytime I've been around jet skis I've noticed that H2O + Human + Jet Ski =
instant asshole.
+4
Posted by K. D. (+366) 5 years ago
They might as well as disallow boats and cars then. Same inconsideration, just bigger tools to do it with.
+2
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8990) 5 years ago
I thought cars on the dike was one of the big flood-plain no-no's anways - or am I mistaken?
The majority of cars and trucks do go slow on the dike. I also noticed that boats that are headed to their fishing hole or coming back,if they see you fishing on the bank they will slow down and or move farther away from me unlike the recreational boater or jet skier. I talked to another individual the other day and they said it was a safety issue as well. I see all of these issues every day I am at the river. I have seen a jet skie (adult driving and young child on the back) going from Yellowstone to the Tongue so fast that only made me wonder what would the outcome be if they crashed. Just the other nite there was a boat on theYellowstone that would go real fast one direction and then turn the boat fast in the opposite direction. I hope and pray that one day that search and rescue ae not looking for these same people. Is it education that is needed or a petition?. Lot to think about on this one.
supporter
Posted by cubby (+2605) 5 years ago
What's wrong with riding 4wheelers on the dike or on the river trails? I think it is more of a problem with stupid people cutting trees down and trying to block the trails down on the river that is a problem, which is against the law by the way. It really doesn't stop anybody just makes them make new trails around the piles.
Posted by Huber (+11) 5 years ago
My family and I have been using jet skis on the river for some time now, we always have a lot of fun and even enjoy chatting with some of the people on the boats we meet (I say "people" as not all the people using boats on the river are fishing, and are using the river as a different kind of recreation). We always use safety first and are ALWAYS wearing life jackets, and mind you boats can go just as fast as jet skis and can turn just as sharp and I often see people on boats not wearing life jackets.I think you all are just opening up a can of worms as I'm sure the fish and game would love to shut down all motorized vehicles/fishing/ and hunting on the river. So be prepared it may be jet skis today but boats tomorrow. Maybe everyone should just go out and enjoy the access to the river we have instead of trying to get everyone in trouble. Be prepared to continue to hear from the river using jet skiers of Miles City as we do have a voice.
+1
Posted by extreme conditions (+33) 5 years ago
It still amazes me after living my entire life in Miles City that certain groups think that they own the rights to public lands and rivers. I personally own campers, jet skis, boats, guns, fishing poles, bikes, motor cycles, and snowmobiles and have always encouraged the use of them. I enjoy the great outdoors with my family. I also own a home and land. I also pay taxes, registration and use fees on all of the above. I have jet skied and boated on rives and lakes in Montana for years with my family. We are experienced operators/users.
I have always tried to be respectful of others, whether it be fisher people/boaters/property owners. We never trespass to gain access to the river, as do some floaters and fisherman. We always stay below the high water mark and if we pack it in we pack it out. Unfortunately some fisherman think they own the river and the boat ramps. They litter, trespass, and are inconsiderate of other people (i.e. The way I have found areas of the boat ramp and areas of the river banks after certain fishing groups have been there.) However, I am glad they are able to enjoy the outdoors.
Instead of a petition to try to limit access to our wonderful water in Montana. Why not get to a petition for the FWP to increase access to the river. To put in or repair boat ramps and build new handicap accessible camping areas, ATV areas, fishing decks and fishing areas so more can enjoy the great outdoors. Come on, lets encourage outdoor activities to the next generations instead of phones, TVs, video games and drugs. (not that one has anything to do with the other). Kris
Posted by Tande (+129) 5 years ago
Maybe the Good state of Montana says it best:
Public Stream Access

In 1889, Montana was granted statehood and the U.S. Supreme Court under the federal Equal Footing Act granted to states ownership of the beds of navigable streams, lakes, islands and accumulations of land up to the average high-water flow line. Article IX of the Montana State Constitution states: “All surface, underground, flood and atmospheric waters are the property of the state for the use of its people.” Each state took title to the streambeds underlying its navigable waters which are held subject to a public trust benefit and cannot be given away. The federal test for navigability is sustained commercial use, including floating logs, fur trade, mail routes, transportation of goods, floating, fishing, outfitting and guiding, float boat rentals, adventure floating. There are 42 streams considered navigable in Montana and their beds are owned by the state for the use, safety, health and enjoyment of the people.
+1
supporter
Amen people get out there and enjoy the outdoors.
Posted by Scott (+260) 5 years ago
One thing to keep in mind for the shore fishermen...... Not every boat flying by you is doing it so close and fast to just upset you. The river is not for novice boaters. In many places you need to be going fast and have your boat on plane. Just keep that in mind, please. Many people think that there is lots of water in "the middle" of the river. That is often not the case. The channel is often close to one of the banks. Happy fishing
+2
supporter
Posted by ike eichler (+1231) 5 years ago
Admitted my knowledge of state law is limited, but believe anyone may start a petition as long as it is approved by state officials. Only one subject per petition. Example, Limiting jet Ski usage and no 4 wheelers on the dike would need separate petitions. Think, to get a petition on the ballot for a vote 5 percent of registered voters must have signed the petition by a certain date B/4 an election. I don't see that happening.
+1
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+16663) 5 years ago
I would have to agree with Ike.
Sounds like its been a subject that has been brewing for a few years now. I dont think that boats being banned from either river will ever happen which it shouldnt happen. Jet ski and the Four Wheeler subject, well I am on the fence on that one. I am all for every one having fun with family and friends using the rivers as recreation. What I have seen and heard from others is the lack of safety and the lack of respect that some operators display while on the two rivers or on the dike or trails. So heres a few examples that I have witnessed as well as others that have spoke about. Jet ski with a adult as the operator with a child on the back going from Yellowstone to the Tongue flat out moving, (What would happen if they hit a rock or sand bar or simply just lost control), This one happened to me the other day while fishing by the pump house, 4 wheeler came down off the dike and reved up his engine like so many seem to like to do and then spun a cookie and took off leaving us in a dust storm.I am like why would some people do these things. What would you all do,if you seen or witnesed such a disregard for safety or respect?. A family came from the KOA and they were so not impressed with almost being ran over by a four wheeler that they said never again will they stay here or spend money here. I didnt know what to say. I may be on the fence with Four wheelers and Jet skies, however I am not for a petition. May be I am living in a vantasy world but why all the carelessness and disrespect and disregard for others as well as our rivers.One final thought, anybody can buy a boat, jet ski, or four wheeler and pay taxes on them but not everybody knows how to operate one safely, or keeping others safety in mind.
supporter
Now let me tell you something that I have witnessed almost every trip to the river on my wheeler. Empty beer and pop cans, fishing line strung all over the place, fishing hooks left on the ground where kids and fury friends play, empty worm containers, and the list goes on. Now would I say that people need to stop fishing from the shore line in order to stop all the garbage, no. As far as the safety out on the water goes, that's like saying you could get hit crossing the crosswalk. It could happen, but use common sense look both ways and things like that.
The rivers have channels and you can't just run anywhere in them you have to keep your boat in the channels and up to speed to be able to navigate up and down the rivers is the reason you might take offense to the boaters getting to close to you fishing off of shore.
+1
I totally agree with you Cubby. I just wish there was a way to get a handle on some of the things that I have mentioned and others have mentioned before we have no say in the matter, or a place to enjoy regardless of what our recreation may be. I dont know, could it happen?
Posted by QuadeJ (+21) 5 years ago
Amen Cubby,

I wasn't going to comment, but I can't help myself now. I have been an avid fisherman on the yellowstone my whole life. I have been using river boats for close to 20 years, and Cubby has a perfect point. The people standing on the banks or driving down the dike road have no idea how a river boat navigates the river. You can't just drive down the middle! I also agree with Cubby about the trash on the banks. Over many years of avidly using the river, I have experianced more trash near the boat ramps and the banks from the people using the banks!NOT the boaters who use the ramp or bank for axcess to the whole river. I just can't understand how people LOVE to fish or relax by the river, then they leave their trash behind. A lot of times it's not fisherman, it's simply people who are "enjoying" a campfire and refreshments,who I (the boater) pick up after time after time!
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11447) 5 years ago
If a new flood control levee gets built, the rules around the rivers will change. Sadly, funding for that new levee seems pretty iffy.

I was followed a woman at the top of Logan Pass in Glacier Park, dropping her trash behind her. When she turned around and saw Steve and I picking up after her, she did at least look embarrassed. We used to fill the back seat of the car with trash we picked up when hiking.
Posted by Brandy Allen (-2405) 5 years ago
Daniel 8:25