By Jennie Rothenberg Gritz
THE ATLANTIC
July 2015
http://www.theatlantic.co...es/397739/
+1
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3704) 6 years ago
Some that come to mind that give me pause and reflection on the death of idealism are; Abbie Hoffman, Committed suicide

"You are talking to a leftist. I believe in the redistribution of wealth and power in the world. I believe in universal hospital care for everyone. I believe that we should not have a single homeless person in the richest country in the world. And I believe that we should not have a CIA that goes around overwhelming governments and assassinating political leaders, working for tight oligarchies around the world to protect the tight oligarchy here at home."

And Jerry Rubin; Became a corporate guy and got run over while Jay walking.

"Rubin held a post-election party at his place in New York in January 1973, attended by John Lennon and Yoko Ono, after McGovern lost to Nixon. Soon, Rubin retired from politics entirely, and became an entrepreneur and businessman. He was an early investor in Apple Computer,[4] and by the end of the 1970s became a multimillionaire.

In the 1980s, he embarked on a debating tour with Abbie Hoffman titled "Yippie versus Yuppie." Rubin's argument in the debates was that activism was hard work and that the abuse of drugs, sex, and private property had made the counterculture "a scary society in itself." He maintained that "wealth creation is the real American revolution. What we need is an infusion of capital into the depressed areas of our country." A later political cartoon portrayed Rubin as half-guerrilla and half-businessman.

Rubin's differences with Hoffman were on principle rather than personal. When Hoffman died in 1989, Rubin attended his funeral.

It makes you ask yourself the question from "The Meaning of Life" Well then, there it is so, what's it all about?
+2