Atlantic Avenue Beer Warehouse?
founder
Posted by Ken Ziebarth (+319) 6 years ago
I am now working on the area of my model railroad representing the area north of Atlantic Avenue, between 8th and 4th,across the tracks from the NP Depot (BTW, what’s the latest on that?) in the late ‘50s. The Sanborn fire insurance maps from 1948
http://sanborn.umi.com/mt...CCSI=2790n
show a ‘Wool Warehouse on the corner of 8th, which I recall as already the City Shops in the 50s. To the west they show a ‘Beer Warehouse' in the next building which now seems to also be a City facility, and beyond that only RR facilities. Do any of you remember this Beer Warehouse, specifically a name I might put on a sign? Of course a picture would be even better!
Ken Ziebarth
founder
Posted by David Schott (+16946) 6 years ago
Is the beer warehouse the white building with blue trim and rounded roof shown in this ~recent photo here?

Panoramio.com: Miles City Depot Photo
founder
Posted by Ken Ziebarth (+319) 6 years ago
Yes, that's the building. It now seems from Google Street View to be a part of the City Yards.
Ken Z
founder
Posted by David Schott (+16946) 6 years ago
Looking at the Google street view the white building with blue trim and rounded roof has a sign that says "Western Industries Inc. Plant". At one time Western Industries was located at 701 Atlantic Ave. They relocated to Airport Hill and today they are known as Brawler Industries.

There is another white-with-blue-trim building *immediately* east of that rounded-roof building that was probably also associated with Western Industries (considering the two buildngs are painted in a similar style).

It appears to me that the "City Shop" building has a fenced parking lot immediately adjacent to these two buildngs but I don't think the white and blue buildings are being used by the city.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17230) 6 years ago
You probably could look up the name of the warehouse in an R.L. Polk directory from the late 1950s. Does the MC library have any of those?

I have looked up old businesses here in Helena using the Polk directories at the Montana Historical Society.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9888) 6 years ago
Ken,

I think M & C Beverage (whatever the corporate name was back then) operated out of that warehouse. You could give them a call. If it wasn’t them they’d likely know who it was. If it was them they might have a photo they could share.