founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9335) 4 years ago
Yup . . . looks like the bows are kicking it up in the Naknek River. This was landed the other day about a mile from our house where the neighborhood creek empties into the river. I hear the Dolly Varden are start to get active too.

+2
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+9777) 4 years ago
Now that looks like tasty eating! We're having frozen salmon for Easter dinner. Makes me very envious.
founder
supporter
sponsor
I hope you are having wild caught Alaska salmon and not farmed fish. When I was in Texas last month I looked at the farmed salmon they had in the stores – my gosh that was terrible, pathetic looking stuff.

We've not eaten trout for a long time – don’t even fish for them anymore. I suppose I should just so I could get picture of a fish like that : -) We mostly just eat salmon, halibut once in a while.

I’m pretty sure that when we leave and move back to the 48s we’ll never eat salmon again. Living her spoils a person when it comes that.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+13658) 4 years ago
Now that is a lunker trout! I have been catching some big rainbows this spring, up to around 4-5 lbs., but nothing like that.

I agree with Hal on the farm raised salmon. Terrible stuff. I have a friend who flies to Sitka to go fishing every year, so I usually trade him some elk or antelope for salmon. I do break down and buy the frozen wild salmon on occasion, mostly sockeye.

Hal, are you able to buy "black cod" (e.g., sablefish) there? That is my favorite Alaskan fish (the ling cod is a close second). My buddy came back with some of that last year. I might have to cough of the last of my antelope to get some more.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+14260) 4 years ago
Call me awful but during the time of year when it's hard to find fresh salmon I'd rather pay $9/pound for fresh farmed salmon than $11/pound for previously frozen wild sockeye salmon that looks like it has been kept under someone's mattress for the past 6 months.

Earlier this week I bought some previously frozen wild-caught Copper River sockeye salmon ($11/pound) that was decent but some of the frozen stuff they offer at the grocery store is pretty unremarkable.

I'm also not eager to pay $20+/pound for salmon like the fresh, wild-caught king salmon that has been available recently.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Gunnar, yeah that’s a big trout even for here, but it’s nothing all that unusual. Cant buy sablefish here - can’t buy hardly anything here for that matter. But we have a friend who captains his own boat and works out of Dutch – he’s usually good for some halibut, cod, and black cod when he comes hone between seasons. It helps that he likes good homebrew.

David, I agree on the prices they charge for salmon in the 48s. Outrageous, especially when I see the prices paid here to the fisherman. A lot fish retailed in the 48s is mislabeled too. Folks are paying for king and being red, paying for red and being sold chum

Red salmon / sockeye is your best for frozen fish during the off season. If it is filleted out and vacuum packed in heavy plastic it will hold it’s flavor a good 6-8 months. Ice Cycle, Peter Pan, and AGS vacuum pack red fillets and do a good job of it, but I don’t know what names they market under in the 48s. Ask your retailer for sockeye fillets, not whole frozen. They’ll be selling Copper River down your way in 6-8 weeks. Don’t pay more for Copper River than for other reds – all they having going is good marketing and high price tag.
Posted by Lorin Dixson (+599) 4 years ago
Just a note on the price of salmon. I am a commercialChinook(King)salmon fisherman in Oregon our season just started. So far it is pretty slow, our price to the fisherma is $9.00 a lb.
founder
Lorin, I've been seeing fresh, wild-caught Columbia River king salmon going for between $17.99 and $23.99 per pound at the grocery stores here on Seattle's eastside. If I'm paying $18/pound for salmon that is really a "splurge" for me. I stick my nose up at the $15.99/pound tenderloin steak at Costco.
David I agree that the price seems high,The fisherman at this time is getting $9.00 then the fish buyer has to have a cut for handling and processing it, then
the transportation costs of getting it to the wholesaler who als gets a cut of the pie after it goes through these and other hands it ends up in your supermarket who also makes a profit. So the $18.00 price to the consumer. If we catch a lot of fish we make good money, then again if we catch a lot of fish the price goes down to us not always the consumer. Just consider my fuel costs I have a 60 ft boat I am paying $3.50 a gal for fuel and burn about a 100 gals a day I also pay my crew 25% off the top.I don't think I need to go into all of the other expenses involved At this time the fleet is averaging about ten fish per day, so no one is getting rich on $18.00 salmon.
founder
Wow, 10 fish per day doesn't sound like very many. How does that compare to average?
supporter
I still would rather splurge and pay $20 a pound once a month for fresh wild salmon than pay $5 a pound once a week for farm raised Atlantic salmon at Costco. That farm raised fish just doesn't have the flavor.
+1
founder
I had salmon for dinner 3 nights out of 7 last week so I need to watch my budget.
supporter
I had trout 2 nights last week that I caught, so they were FREE - oh, except the $20-30 in gas I spent driving to the river and back.
No David ten fish a day is low that barely covers expenses. our season just opened the 1st of April, hopefully it will get much better. I haven't went yet my expenses are higher because I have a larger boat than most people trolling salmon. I plan on going on my first trip Wed hopefully things will have improved and the fish will be located a little better.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Lorin, it looks like the troll fleet did well in Southeast AK this spring. Hope things pick up for you folks.

http://www.alaskapublic.o...-trollers/
+1
founder
Good luck on Wednesday, Lorin, and thanks for doing your part to keep good salmon on the menu!