This is what happens when you don't watch Fox News
Posted by Oddjob (+194) 6 years ago
You miss the gun nuts squabbling with the greedy corporate capitalists....

http://www.foxnews.com/us...latestnews

You guys should be all over this....
+2
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17343) 6 years ago
Yawn.....no need to torture ourselves watching FAUX News. Our favorite lefty political blog had this story four days before them.

http://mtcowgirl.com/2015/03/19/21520/
+4
Posted by redmondroughneck (+73) 6 years ago
When your are not educated it's tough to watch Fox News.
+3
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9197) 6 years ago
I think you're a word

[Edited by Bridgier (3/24/2015 12:22:43 PM)]
+2
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 6 years ago
You have that backwards. Being educated and intelligent makes watching Faux News impossible.
+6
Amorette Allison wrote:
You have that backwards. Being educated and intelligent makes watching Faux News impossible.

Interesting comment considering Fox News is consistently #1 in the ratings. Especially when you understand that most of the huge number of low-information voters are in the Democrat Party and highly unlikely to be Fox viewers.
+4
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hannah Nash (+2495) 6 years ago
Ratings (ie, ad revenue) don't mean squat when PolitiFacts finds that Fox News' output is "Mostly False" or worse 58+% of the time.

Ouch.

http://www.politifact.com...-channels/

[Edited by Hannah Nash (3/24/2015 5:15:46 PM)]
+6
Posted by Steve Sullivan (+1334) 6 years ago
...and from the University of Maryland

http://www.dailykos.com/s...tail=email
+4
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14950) 6 years ago
^^^ THIS ^^^
deserves more than just one like per person!
+1
supporter
Dunning-Kruger News.
+1
supporter
Oddjob's thesis that FOX news viewers are high information voters is one of the funniest things I've read here in a long time. Thanks for the laugh.
+5
founder
supporter
Have you ever heard the term "lowest common denominator?" It means finding what appeals to the most people. It doesn't mean well-researched, in-depth, intelligent or anything but we are making a buck off this show.

When I was a TV major years ago, we were taught that the television programming only exists to hang the commercials off because the commercials make money. Quality is nice but if it doesn't bring in the ad revenue, it goes.

Never, ever, judge the QUALITY of a TV show or a network by ratings. Ratings show profitability and the ability to appeal to the masses. Nothing else.

Sometimes quality and ratings match. And sometimes "The Dukes of Hazzard" is top of the Nielsens.
+2
supporter
Posted by tom regan (+2526) 6 years ago
+1
Posted by Steve Sullivan (+1334) 6 years ago
The fact that someone actually gave my post a 'thumbs down' shows just how brainwashed viewers can become and cannot handle the truth. That's a pretty sad thing.
Posted by UM Griz (+168) 6 years ago
Here are the relevant bits from Steve's link:

"In most cases those who had greater levels of exposure to news sources had lower levels of misinformation. There were, however, a number of cases where greater exposure to a particular news source increased misinformation on some issues.
Those who watched Fox News almost daily were significantly more likely than those who never watched it to believe that most economists estimate the stimulus caused job losses (8 points more likely), most economists have estimated the health care law will worsen the deficit (31 points), the economy is getting worse (26 points), most scientists do not agree that climate change is occurring (30 points), the stimulus legislation did not include any tax cuts (14 points), their own income taxes have gone up (14 points), the auto bailout only occurred under Obama (13 points), when TARP came up for a vote most Republicans opposed it (12 points) and that it is not clear that Obama was born in the United States (31 points). The effect was also not simply a function of partisan bias, as people who voted Democratic and watched Fox News were also more likely to have such misinformation than those who did not watch it--though by a lesser margin than those who voted Republican.

There were cases with some other news sources as well. Daily consumers of MSNBC and public broadcasting (NPR and PBS) were higher (34 points and 25 points respectively) in believing that it was proven that the US Chamber of Commerce was spending money raised from foreign sources to support Republican candidates. Daily watchers of network TV news broadcasts were 12 points higher in believing that TARP was signed into law by President Obama, and 11 points higher in believing that most Republicans oppose TARP. " -WorldPublicOpinion.org

Now I do not watch Fox News so I might just be a simpleton... but if you would like objective journalism, I would recommend the New York Times, the BBC, the Economist, and the Wall Street Journal. I have also developed a quick test in order to determine with a high degree of certainty whether the news one is consuming is biased or not. There is only one question: "Is watching television the primary method in which you receive information about current events?" If the answer is "YES!", you are probably dangerously out of touch with what is really going on in the world.

[Edited by UM Griz (3/24/2015 10:55:17 PM)]
+2
Steve Sullivan wrote:
The fact that someone actually gave my post a 'thumbs down' shows just how brainwashed viewers can become and cannot handle the truth. That's a pretty sad thing.

The fact that you actually posted the University of Maryland study and called it "truth" is a pretty sad thing.
+2
supporter
Posted by SeptyTwo (+674) 6 years ago
TIL that there are Like and Dislike buttons
+3
supporter
And that oddjob thinks that 'popular' == 'true'
+5
Posted by UM Griz (+168) 6 years ago
Oddjob, please provide the source indicating that Democrats are "low information voters", unless of course that is just what Fox News is spoon feeding you.

[Edited by UM Griz (3/25/2015 3:09:42 PM)]
+4
OK, Griz

Everybody here likes to wade through studies.

Here's one

http://www.ewa.org/sites/...mbargo.pdf

In spite of their level of "education", Millennials (16-34) are locking up the title of "Dumbest Generation".

These people are not voting Republican and the Democrats rejoice in what they have created..
+2
supporter
Petitio Principii, -10 to slytherin. You're really procreateing up the house cup this year oddy.
+3
It's amazing the number of people who can't spell FOX. Kind of tells you their education level.
+2
supporter
Now that is funny.
+4
Bridgier wrote:
Petitio Principii, -10 to slytherin. You're really procreateing up the house cup this year oddy.

Peaked in High School, did we?
+2
supporter
Possibly - it's when I realized all on my ownsome that Rush was full of poop, which later inoculated me from FAUX news...
+5
Posted by Tongue River Millworks & Meado (+240) 6 years ago
Anybody else tired of reading the rants of a select left wing contributors?
+3
founder
supporter
Why is it when when you disagree with someone it's a 'rant' but when you agree with someone, it's logical discourse.

Just remember, Rupert Murdoch created Faux News specifically to be a mouthpiece for the far right wing of the Republican party. It was never meant to be anything else.

Skip the TV stuff. I recommend National Journal if you want intelligent conservative discourse. They go after stupidity, not party. And there is a lot of stupid in Congress to go around.
+5
Miles City.com is bias by 7 left wing contributors that want to own the show. Get a hobby.
+3
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14950) 6 years ago
Umm... We already have a hobby. It's commenting on Milescity.com.
+2
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6165) 6 years ago
Exactly who are the Miles City Seven?
supporter
1. Cactus Plains
2. Bobby Boatley
3. Rick Kuchinya
4. Daniel K. Allen
5. Rob Shipley
6. Eric Brandt
7. Bart Freese

You're welcome.
+1
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6165) 6 years ago
Uh oh. What say you, Bart?
Left wing has already spoken, back track and find the 7.
+1
Bart? My name is Bret, one t.
Did any of the 7 graduate from high school?
founder
supporter
Gunnar is being funny. Bart is NOT rightwing.