Did our legislators sign the Koch pledge?
Posted by Joe Whalen (+623) 6 years ago
Last session, it was Grover Norquist's "Taxpayers Protection Pledge". This time, the Koch brothers' "Americans for Prosperity" have targeted Republican lawmakers in MT refusing to sign their pledge against Medicaid expansion.

Question is: Did Sen. Eric Moore and Rep. Ken Holmlund kneel before the Kochs?

+5
Posted by Quagmire (+21) 6 years ago
It has become quite obvious that the people of this town will allow whomever has the most homespun solution to our problems will win. Butch Grenz???? Really???? Pray for Miles City. As long as the proletariat does not vote, the status quo will continue to screw the average Montanan out of their hard earned money!
+1
Posted by gypsykim (+1554) 6 years ago
If you focus on the three that were targeted in Montana (Reps. Jeff Welborn, of Dillon; Tom Berry, of Roundup; and Frank Garner, of Kalispell.), it would seem that they are the only three who have not signed the pledge.

That may or may not be true and AFP may have had other reasons for targeting those three candidates. For as much as AFP wants everyone to believe they are right, you would think they would post a list of those who have signed the pledge.
+2
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11730) 6 years ago
I don't know about the Koch puppets but I do know that Ken Holmlund was the only Republican to vote AGAINST allowing unrestricted concealed carry. Maybe he was picturing the Bucking Horse Sale with a bunch of armed cowboys but I am VERY happy for his vote.
+3
I'm happy to see that we have a reporter for the Miles City Star among us. Do you suppose that the signing of a pledge by our state legislators to an out-of-state dark money group founded by the multi-billionaire Koch brothers promising not to extend Medicaid to 70,000 impoverished Montanans would be considered worthy of investigation by our local paper or do we need to read of the damage when it comes off the AP wire after the fact?
+4
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14943) 6 years ago
Doesn't the fact that they are republicans tell you all you need to know?
+1
Posted by Bob Netherton III (+2771) 6 years ago
Many of our legislators are nutty on there own. They don't need no stinkin' pledge!
The Koch brothers could learn a thing or two from our geniuses.
+2
Writing off or blindly endorsing someone because of party affiliation is an absurd outcome of lazy thought. After all, in this case, it is clearly Republicans of good conscience who have been intimidated by dark money.

It is lazy or corrupt thinking that leads a legislator to sign away the interests of due process to AFP or causes a local paper to look away from an investigation into the likely dereliction of our representatives in the legislature. To its credit, the Star admirably stepped up to join the MT Newspaper Assn. in its complaint against the MT Republican Caucus for convening a meeting without public notice in Helena in November. My hope is that it'll apply some corrective pressure on this issue as well. The cost of failure is too high to ignore.
+4
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+3209) 6 years ago
There are 18 Representatives for sure among the newly elected who are signed up with Grover Norquist and the ATR as well as Steve Daines. The ATR...is a member of ALEC who is a "patsy" to the KOCH Brothers. Do you remember the Dirty lies in the political newspaper that you received at your front door with horrific stories about Steve Bullock and John Tester? Those were from the KOCH boys AFP organization.

Former Governor Schweitzer had a great letter to the Editor in the Billings Gazette last week and talks about the huge Montana subsidy that the KOCH's receive as a result of owning the Matador Ranch near Dillon, MT. 200,000 acres with about 2/3rds of the land being owned by both Montana and the Feds.

I don't think our local Representatives need the massive amounts of money to get elected and, hopefully, are not beholden to the KOCH's. I think it is positive that so many more people are informed about the Dirty Money...and, Dirty Politics.
+3
Posted by Oddjob (+192) 6 years ago
You know, Joe, I agree.

There should be some investigative journalism here, and the first question they should ask is: "Did Rep. Frank Garner lie to his constituents during the campaign when he told them he would not support an expansion of Medicaid under Obamacare?

Interesting how the Left always goes after the Koch brothers when indefensible lying politicians are the real issue.

In case you missed it, even the DNC agrees the focus on the Koch brothers killed them in the last election because, well... nobody gives a damn about the Koch brothers. It's a dead horse.

http://www.washingtontime.../?page=all
+1
supporter
Joe said
Writing off or blindly endorsing someone because of party affiliation is an absurd outcome of lazy thought. After all, in this case, it is clearly Republicans of good conscience who have been intimidated by dark money.

Maybe I am missing some larger point here or don't fully understand because of a context that you have not explained, but I don't think writing off or endorsing because of party afilliation is lazy thought. Rather, it is very pragmatic.

Back in the late 80s and early 90s, televanglists were all about spinning record alblums backward to see if there was back masking which in there mind made the alblum satanic. All they had to do was read the label and it said AC/DC highway to hell. (not that I believe AC/DC is satanic or that saten even exisits)

The same is true of political partys. Yes, you can go on a witchhunt to find out who has been "tainted" by Koch Bros. or AFA or whatever group you believe demonizes political representatives.

The truth is each party has its platform and if a person runs under that banner they align themselves with the policies of that party. The best way for republicans to rid their party of the influence of Koch Bros. is to paint them in that corner, until they get sick of it, push back, and reform their party. My objection is to republican party ideaology and outside money is only a secondary consideration.
supporter
Yup, it's really lazy thought to write off or endorse someone because of party afilliation. If there are republicans who don't like this, why don't they ever speak up???

A Public Policy Polling (PPP) national survey conducted between February 20th and February 22nd of Republican voters, found that an astonishing 57 percent of Republicans want to dismantle the Constitution, and establish Christianity as the official national religion. Only 30 percent oppose making Christianity the national religion.

Although the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment clearly states that “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion,” GOP voters want to cast aside that provision and impose Christianity as the official American religion.

While a number of red states have passed statutes forbidding the implementation of Islam-based sharia law in their states, Republicans apparently have no misgivings about turning the United States into a Christian theocracy.

http://www.politicususa.c...igion.html

http://www.publicpolicypo..._22415.pdf
Posted by Oddjob (+192) 6 years ago
Ha Ha!

Richard.

Honestly? Do you actually believe this crap?

PPP is one of the most unscientific pollsters out there, engaging in an activity that is largely witchcraft at best.

"PPP surveyed 316 Republican primary voters from February 20th to 22nd. The margin of error for the survey is +/- 5.5%. This survey was conducted through automated telephone interviews and interviews over the internet to voters who don’t have landline phones."

Apparently the 316 "Republican" voters were found in a Southern Baptist revival tent with WiFi.
+1
supporter
Which goes to my point, the entire republican party is being painted into a corner by at least 180 people who responded. If this doesn't represent the republican point of view, they should standup and say so. The fact they don't/haven't indicates either the level of cowardness or implicit agreement. I don't think its up to the opposition to give them the benefit doubt or try to divine which republicans are "batsiht crazy" and which are not.
+1
founder
Posted by David Schott (+16946) 6 years ago
Funny, from what Richard is saying it sounds like the Republican Party has a problem similar to the Islamic religion... the crazies are in charge of public relations.
+5