DON'T BE A TAX SCAM VICTIM!
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6165) 6 years ago
There is a telephone scam making the rounds in which the caller says he's from the US Treasury Dept and that you must contact him to prevent being charged with a felony offense.

Your caller ID may say 909-274-8534 or 909-271-8534. Of course, as the scam continues they may use addition numbers.

He is simply trying to get you Social Security Number. The calls are indisciminate; I received one myself and I'm an enrolled agent.

DO NOT FALL FOR THIS !!! If you have questions call your local tax expert or the IRS.
+2
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17052) 6 years ago
"...as the scam continues they may use addition numbers."

If things get really bad they may even resort to using subtraction numbers. God help us all if it comes to that.
+1
Posted by Oddjob (+194) 6 years ago
It was twice a day here for a while, mixed in with the other half-dozen or so "out of area" and "toll-free number" calls. I talked to a friend who's a cop and was told everybody in the area has been getting the tax scam call since last Fall. He said the dispatch phone has been ringing off the hook and driving everybody nuts. The last one I got a couple of weeks ago was for one of my sons who hasn't lived here in years, so I hope they gave up on me.

I haven't answered my land line for months and am now getting marketers on my cell. Sure am glad I signed up for the "do not call" registry. I have a sneaking suspicion the Department of Consumer Protection is selling the lists to scammers......
supporter
Oops. David, my mind is faster than my fingers. I meant additional.
supporter
Well, Oddjob, I don't think the Do Not Call List deters scammers. But unwelcome calls sure are annoying. I don't answer any call where I don't recognize the number. I figure that if it's important they will leave a message. The funny thing is that this tax scammer did leave a message!
Posted by Oddjob (+194) 6 years ago
At least they hire script readers. Most of the rest just terminate when the answering machine picks up. I was surprised that there were no warnings from Law Enforcement or anything in the paper here about these scams after I found out how wide-spread they were and how long they had been going on. There's probably some folks getting sucked in when they hear there has been an "enforcement action" started against them. Not many people are aware the IRS doesn't call.
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hannah Nash (+2495) 6 years ago
The Do Not Call List works for some industries... but the reason it doesn't work with scammers is THIS:

Machines autodial customers (and the machines/software is even clever enough to notice when voicemail kicks on). So the computer dials the next number in the algorithm or progression: 867-5309, 867-5310, 867-5311, etc. Once a person picks up, the machine then routes the call to the LIVE scammer.

From Wikipedia on Autodialers:
There are some companies and individuals, however, who use them to commit fraud and perpetrate scams on unwitting recipients, often the elderly, or those unaware of their rights. In this event the existence of government 'Do Not Call' registers or lists has little effect on their operations.

Do warn your loved ones about this scam, the Microsoft one, and the Apple one. We have had countless patrons be harassed by these calls; and too many of them have given out credit card information and more. The callers are extremely aggressive, and will bully whoever they get on the end of the line.

... of course, when I laugh at them the first time they try to bully me, they always end up disconnecting right away.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 6 years ago
I have an accountant. I would tell this person that I funnel all my tax business through the accountant. And hang up. Although I'd probably hang up before he got very far into his spiel. The advantage to an old-fashioned telephone? You can hang up HARD. Heeheehee.
+1
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17052) 6 years ago
Better to say in an old person voice, "What's that sonny (or missy)? I can't hear ya. Let me get my hearing aids."

Then set the phone down and let them rot. The more of their time you waste the better it is for society.
supporter
Posted by M T Zook (+515) 6 years ago
I am very much a pacifist, but these twerps got so annoying I started threatening to audit them. And then I asked them how they felt to be cheats and stealing money from good people. And how the weather was in India. A few days of this and they finally quit calling. I am now waiting for an IRS agent to knock at my door!
+1
Posted by Sheri C. (+59) 6 years ago
They left a message on my answering machine. I thought it was odd that the IRS would wait a year to come after me for my previous years filings. I looked up IRS scams and it was on there plus I went on white pages and did a reverse phone number and it showed comments from other people that it was a scam. Please be careful everyone. Don't get caught in a scam.
supporter
Actually it's not that unusual for the IRS to wait a year or two to question a return. What is odd is to receive a phone call as a first contact. FIRST CONTACT IS ALWAYS MADE BY SNAIL MAIL!!!!!
Posted by GVC (+515) 6 years ago
I was scammed coming up on 25 years ago.
+2
supporter
Shut up.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17321) 6 years ago
Heh.
banned
Posted by deanne (+12) 6 years ago
This post was removed 6 years ago.
banned
Posted by deanne (+12) 6 years ago
This post was removed 6 years ago.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9193) 6 years ago
sounds like someone just needs to adjust their withholdings.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14950) 6 years ago
GVC might want to work on his "D-duck-tions"