Posted by Tomm (-1033) 6 years ago
Sen. Fielder has introduced a bill that would prevent the Democrats and or the Gov. from selling any federal land transferred to the state. She is a Republican.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17053) 6 years ago
"Critics say the state doesn’t have the money to manage the lands and inevitably would end up having to sell some of them to cover the cost."

AND

"SB215 says any federal land transferred or granted to the state in the future cannot be sold.

Fielder said it will place a moratorium on any land sales while the management and transfer issue is studied, as well as require the Legislature to reverse the law before any sales would occur."

Seems weak to me. If the state feels it needs money to manage these lands you can bet the Legislature could reverse this law as quickly as it enacts it.

Read more: Billings Gazette:
Contentious hearing on GOP senator’s first of several fed-land-transfer bills
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 6 years ago
What part of FEDERAL lands doesn't register. These lands do NOT belong to the state of Montana. They belong to everyone in the United States. Our close-minded parochial thinking is not doing anyone any favors.

It would be hilarious is Montana stole all the federal land, then had to fight fires and asked for federal help, as they do every bad fire year and the feds said "Hah, Hah."
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9194) 6 years ago
I'd like to say that is is one of the dumber ideas being bandied about in western legislatures this season, but that is, sadly, just not true.
+2
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17321) 6 years ago
I agree with Bridgier. I think the proposed ban on yoga pants is dumber.

http://billingsgazette.co...e9398.html
+2
Posted by Donald Mullikin (+140) 6 years ago
I'm sure there are a lot of dirty old men who don't like the concept of banning or making tight fitting garments like yoga pants or spandex illegal. After all, if those garments are tight enough they outline and basically put the female genitalia on full display.

I can fully understand why the fascist republican party is attempting to take the Moral High Ground. Its their way of limiting the evil male members -- strike that, that would be excluding the females who would also enjoy the sight of another women’s genitalia-- of the democratic or other parties from getting their jollies. 

supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9194) 6 years ago
sweet mother of pearl.
+1
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17321) 6 years ago
I think Donald is certifiably crazy. Is he a representative from the Bitterroot?
+1