Bobcat Operator removing snow at night!! Stop
Posted by Tnuhotevil (+107) 7 years ago
Why would someone (for the last several years) feel it necessary to remove snow between the hours of 11pm to 0200am when people are sleeping down Main Street and the side streets waking EVERYONE up and keeping them up for hours with a loud piece of equipment? Can we not do this during the day? Some of us have jobs that don't allow much sleep and take what we can get, or sick babies at home who's parents would do ANYTHING for the baby to be able to sleep through just one night! ....,,but no. Someone EVERY winter in this Bobcat has to remove snow in the housing areas on and around Main Street. Please, we realize your doing a job, but please respect others while doing it. Choose a better time to remove the snow, oh I don't know, say when he entire town isn't sleeping. I can understand doing business driveways and parking lots, but housing driveways and sidewalks?? Every year it's the same thing. Please stop removing snow when everyone is sleeping.
+3
supporter
Posted by cubby (+2655) 7 years ago
Why post on here? Why not run down and ask who ever is doing it why he has to do it then? Maybe he has a very good reason for doing it then.
+1
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10016) 7 years ago
And why post "Why post on here?" ???

That seems rather rude and somewhat insulting.
+3
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17675) 7 years ago
I don't think "cubby" meant to disparage posting on here so much as to point out that the best way to solve the problem might be to talk directly to the person doing the late night work.

Some people don't like that kind of face-to-face interaction, though, as it can get a little confrontational.

When I lived in Bozeman the street I lived on had "No Parking 2am - 7am Tu & Th" signs posted because the city plowed the street in the middle of the night.
+2
I guess I could confront the individual removing the snow, and it would be a favor among several neighbors if I did. Several of us have conversed about the snow removal and keeping the neighbors up at night. I really don't feel I should have to walk out in the snow and cold at night and go across the street to have a conversation. I will make an attempt the next time it snows. I also understand that city employees do snow removal here too, but thats not until early morning and only when we get a great amount of snow. The steel bucket scrapping down the pavement from this machine is just an intense noise and vibrates the house. We can close thread. Not trying to start anything, just hoping the individual reads it and maybe waits till daylight to make so much noise, because I do want to avoid confrontation. Thanks

Bruce
+1
supporter
Posted by cubby (+2655) 7 years ago
Web-master, I meant no harm while asking that. Just saying that to fix a problem you must find the easiest solution, to me that would be asking the problem if there was a different time that he could be plowing snow. Not sure why everyone thinks there would be a confrontation while asking a very simple question? It all has to do with the tone the question is asked with.
+1
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6173) 7 years ago
So is this not a city or highway employee doing this? I think that a private citizen might be in trouble. Surely the use of the machine on the streets must do some wear and tear. I would think that he might need a permit or something.
+1
supporter
Posted by Sandy Kiltie-Losing (+255) 7 years ago
Maybe visiting with the business who is paying for the snow removal could be productive.
+2
Oh look. It's almost 11pm and the Bobcat operator that's removing snow decided he would start up work again. People have to get up for work in the morning. Why is he going to keep everyone up? I don't really know how to confront this individual. Am i to ask him to do his work at a more appropriate time? I highly doubt he would pack up and wait till the morning or daylight simply by the requet of a neighbor. Do I ask Miles City PD?

Bruce.
+1
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6173) 7 years ago
Call the City and ask about street and snow maintenance and whether this guy needs apermit to do what he's doing. Also ask if there's a noise ordinance.
My city doesn't allow disturbing noise after 11 pm on weekdays. Maybe he's violating it and you and your neighbors could file a complaint.
+1
Posted by Scott Bledsoe (+13) 7 years ago
For those of you that dont understand snow removal in the down town MC area, many businesses are required to have their snow removed on their property if their is more than 1 inch of snow and every inch there after per legaliites of the "sue happy" world we live in. As a snow removal person for 20 plus years the best time to do snow removal is at odd hours because of the reduced traffic, which keeps vehicle and pedistrians safe. For example try and plow M & H or any downtown businesses after 800 am or during lunch hour which could be very unsafe for everyone. Not sure who you are referring to but if it is me , Im sure you can find me to discuss your complaint.
+3
Posted by serenity (+112) 7 years ago
Someone EVERY winter in this Bobcat has to remove snow in the housing areas on and around Main Street. Please, we realize your doing a job, but please respect others while doing it. Choose a better time to remove the snow, oh I don't know, say when he entire town isn't sleeping. I can understand doing business driveways and parking lots, but housing driveways and sidewalks??

From the looks of the original post it's not the business area he is referring to. Sounds like it's a residential area.
+1
Posted by Forsyth Mike (+476) 7 years ago
Have you tried calling the police? If not, do that and ask them if there is a noise ordinance. If there is one, (or even if there isn't), tell them the situation. They will either go tell the guy to stop plowing, or else they'll tell you he has permission from the city (or whoever) to do it and that nothing can be done.

DO NOT go confront the plower -- you never know what might happen then. Let the police handle it - that's part of what you pay taxes for. You're entitled to the peaceful enjoyment of your property, especially late at night.

On the other hand, if for some reason you can't stop the plowing, go to Steadman's and buy a noise-cancelling sound machine. One of those can do wonders for your sleeping.
+2
supporter
Posted by ike eichler (+1223) 7 years ago
WELCOME TO SNOW COUNTRY!!

Perhaps the entrepreneur snow removal person is "Moonlighting" from their full time job.
The only time they have to do it is when the traffic is "Sleeping" or to fit into their schedule. Be thankful that it only snows in the winter when the house is closed up from the cold. You could have a house next to the RR tracks or at the end of a run way at a major airport.

Someone has to do it. Right
+5
Posted by heimer (+104) 7 years ago
Its difficult and fraught with safety problems to plow during the day. Less traffic--fewer problems at night.
+1