Dick Bonine family near freezes in 1964
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 6 years ago
The Dick Bonine family, which includes a new baby and three other small children, couldn’t keep warm enough at their home in the Pine Hills and decided to come to town. Even with their 4-wheel drive Scout, they were unable to get through snowdrifts on the road. Using a radio in their vehicle, they called for help and Bruce McLean came to help. He couldn’t get all the way but the family was able to cross the distance between their stranded vehicle and McLean’s.

Unbelievably nasty winter weather 50 years ago. The eastern and southern portions of the state ended up as disaster areas. It was the old days. Our Republican governor, Tim Babcock, could call up the Democratic president, Lyndon Johnson, and get help without any political name calling.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14950) 6 years ago
I am STILL cold from that event. Grandpa came out to get us. The road blew shut behind him. It took a couple of hours to get back through the drifts. Grandpas scout got stuck about a quarter mile from the highway. My dad call Grama on the radio and she call Bruce. He came to the Wolf Creek turnoff. My dad carried each of us kids to Bruce's car. Wind chill was like 80 below. Never been that cold in my life. In a way we owe our lives to Motorola. We stayed at Gramas for a week afterward. Dad rented a D6 cat from LP Anderson to plow the road and feed 300 head of very hungry cows.
+1
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17321) 6 years ago
Cool story. It explains a lot.
Posted by Oddjob (+194) 6 years ago
"It explains a lot."

Yes it does.

That kind of weather (which was not all that rare in the '50's and '60's) created the "Global Cooling" hysteria of the '70's

The "experts" wanted to shut civilization down back then, as well.

Everything changes and nothing changes.

http://wattsupwiththat.co...mpilation/
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14950) 6 years ago
Someone substitute crabgrass in your glaucoma meds again, OJ?

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

"The Dick Bonine family, which includes a new baby"

This sentence will be a recurring theme in Stardust until 2039 at which point I will be dead or 78 and in the punitentory of my children's choosing..
supporter
Posted by Barb Holcomb (+406) 6 years ago
and I was the new baby; not that I remember it but that may explain why anything below 70 is cold to me.

+1
supporter
Posted by K.Duffy (+1807) 6 years ago
punitentory