Wibaux Building fire.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+16946) 6 years ago
I believe the Wibaux Building which was located at 7th and Main burned down in 1964 -- 50 years ago. It was briefly mentioned some time ago in the Stardust section of the Miles City Star.

At the time I read the Stardust story about the fire I came out of reading it with the impression that the building had been purchased by the Miles City Bank (?) (later First Security Bank, later Stockman Bank) and it was going to be torn down to make way for a new, modern bank building.

Is it correct that the bank owned that building before the fire happened and that the building was going to be razed even before the fire happened?

Does anyone know what was the cause of the fire?
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1793) 6 years ago
yeah, Bobby Kenny.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11731) 6 years ago
Cigarette butt flicked down a greasy garbage shaft followed by a fire department that wasn't as knowledgeable about physics. The first was burning slowly in the wall until they cut a hole in the roof to get at it. Whoosh.

Bank would have torn it down anyway. It was 50 years old and we all know, anything over 50 needs to be done away with for the NEW and the MODERN.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14948) 6 years ago
Which means the current building needs to go?
founder
Posted by David Schott (+16946) 6 years ago
It would be awesome to see Stockman Bank consolidate its various locations in downtown Miles City into a new, multi-story building at 7th and Main.