Raw milk delivery to Miles City
Posted by RB (+440) 5 years ago
Hi everyone, I am looking for interest in a biweekly raw milk delivery to Miles City. I have been in contact with the owners of Four Dot Farm in Joliet, MT and we are working out some details and are hoping to get a milk delivery route to Miles City every 2 weeks. Their price is $35/month per share, each share gives you 4 gallons a month (2 gallons per delivery). You may buy multiple shares if you need more milk than that. Due to the distance there may be a small additional fee for covering gas, but that is still being discussed in their family and is not set in stone. The milk has it's cream on top, it is unskimmed. If something like this can be worked out, they are hoping to deliver 75 gallons of milk per biweekly delivery. This is all very preliminary, I am just looking for interest at this point, and would love to hear everyone's thoughts or questions on the matter. I had a long talk with the owner and they are in accordance with Montana state law, the state knows they are there and what they are doing. They are as natural as possible, there are no chemicals used on their property, and the supplemental feed that the cows get is non-GMO. They are on open pasture and are treated very humanely. Here is their website if you'd like to look through it http://www.fourdotfarm.com/ If you'd like more information on anything let me know! Please ask around for interest and lets see if we can bring this wonderful opportunity to Miles City! The only way they will consider delivering here is if I find interest, so please send me an email if you are interested so I have something to report back with. Thanks!
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+9842) 5 years ago
If they are in accordance with state law, then the milk cannot be sold for human consumption.
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2585) 5 years ago
If one goes to mt.gov and searches for raw milk, you will find all the laws and administrative rules governing this. Amorette is correct.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+13753) 5 years ago
Amorette and Kelly are incorrect.

If you are the owner of the cow, through purchase of shares, you can get raw milk. I would say go for it, Miles Citians, and tell the food and drug nazis to kiss your rear ends.
Lol thanks Gunnar. It is herd share's and they are selling it legally. If you are that concerned about it you may call them and ask for their papers. And it is never illegal to purchase or drink raw milk. I'd really prefer comments from those interested in this opportunity rather than the usual milescity.com negativity and hostility. Thanks everyone!
Posted by ChrisR (+7) 5 years ago
Please immediately remove the name and location of the farm you mentioned to protect them from legal action!!!! Actually raw milk herd shares are ILlegal in MT and I have "cease and desist" letters from the Department of Livestock to prove it with their threats of fines and prosecution for herd shares farmers. I put together the raw milk bill last session that, ironically, is being submitted again today for this session. The problem is that we disagree with the DOL as to the legality of HS. We believe they should be legal since a contract between people is none of their business. They say it's a loophole and they're trying to "protect" people from illness and imminent death (sarc). It's a matter of watching them try to prosecute and seeing whose side the judge takes. And with the judges in MT, I'm not so sure I'd take that risk. So who will be the guinea pig? Please realize that you are "outing" someone else to take the fall without their knowledge.

And if you want to be aware of the goings on with the raw milk bill, please visit the Raw Milk Montana Facebook page and leave a private message with your email address to be on the email address list for updates and more details about how you can help. There will be a number of hearings and votes over the next few months as well as getting the bill passed the governor's veto pen and we'll need all the help we can get.

[This message has been edited by ChrisR (11/14/2014)]
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8297) 5 years ago
http://milk.procon.org/vi...eID=005192

Montana is listed as a no-sale state.

Milk's bad for you anyways.
I am on the email list already, thanks! I have permission from the farm to display their name. They pay a quarterly fee to the Farm to Consumer Legal Defense fund for the legal stuff. They said they have gotten 2 letters from the state telling them to stop what they're doing but their attorney has gotten them out of it and the state knows what they're doing. For a more detailed explaination of the legality you'd have to ask them. Anyway, is anyone interested in getting milk from these people??? Lol. I didnt mean to start a debate here on the legality of raw milk, I just wanted to look for interest in getting it delivered here.
supporter
Posted by Don Birkholz (+1139) 5 years ago
We sold raw milk for 30 years, hundreds of other dairies in Montana sold raw milk from 1900-1960, most states allow the sale of raw milk, I don't see what the anti raw milk fuss is all about.

There will be 20,000 killed in Montana in traffic accidents over the next 100 years. Why don't they ban cars????

How many were killed by drinking raw milk in Montana so far in the 1900's?
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8297) 5 years ago
I'm sure it's a conspiracy by Monsanto, to force us to drink their thick white death juice.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6169) 5 years ago
I think people should be allowed to eat anything they want as long as it's labelled properly. Would I feed raw milk to my kid? No.
Did you get permission from the owner or one of their boys?

Historically in my dealings with them, the owner has been concerned about legal blowback and I've been very careful to leave their name out of anything. Scrutiny by the state would be devastating to them because of their personal circumstances.

They do work with the attorney (I've worked with him as well the last two years), not because that paperwork makes it legal, but in case it ever does go to court, they have as many ducks in a row as possible.
Thanks for the thoughts Don, I agree. Could this thread be deleted now? I didnt post this in the discussion forums for this precise reason, however an admin moved it here from the classified section. I have posted a few classified and would like for this to be deleted as it is a pretty silly and pointless debate and was not at all my intention when posting my original classified ad.
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2585) 5 years ago
Wait Gunnar, you are telling me that I am wrong about searching for raw milk on mt.gov!? That is asinine.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+13753) 5 years ago
No, I am telling you that your conclusion of said research, e.g., "Amorette is correct." is incorrect. I thought I was clear on that.
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1908) 5 years ago
Raw milk is just fine... As long as you boil it before consumption.
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1414) 5 years ago
Is doesn't look like Four Dot Farms is hiding from anyone according to their website:

http://www.fourdotfarm.com/about/

We operate our dairy under a cowshare program with Ayrshire, Holstein, and Jersey cattle. Our children are fifth generation dairymen!

A few miles from nowhere (actually, we’re located just south of Joliet, MT) we milk 6 cows at dawn and again at dusk. We would love for you to join our family farm by purchasing a herdshare so you can start enjoying the benefits of REAL, RAW, UNADULTERATED, DELICIOUS whole milk! We also offer skim milk and cream and very soon, we will sell butter, cheese, yogurt, and kefir.

FH
An unadvertised website is not the same as a public forum. But you'll have to contact them about that.

The owner contacted me, as well as the original poster, and wants their name removed.

[This message has been edited by ChrisR (11/15/2014)]
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+9686) 5 years ago
I don't really think "unadvertised" is exactly correct.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=four+dot+farm
Posted by MontanaFam (+17) 5 years ago
Regardless of what people are saying.... I'm incredibly interested!!! I've been searching for raw milk since moving here from western montana. It was so much easier to get there! I make delicious cheeses and need raw milk for the process!!!
supporter
Posted by dlsmith (+230) 5 years ago
I apologize for the facts of this website. I knew the self-appointed
critics and legalists and tattletales would attack it. They prey on anyone and anything. It is simply offering a choice. If you are afraid of fresh milk, don't buy any, but stop attacking anyone that has a different view than you do. Please stop appointing yourselves as judge AND jury , even getting so petty as to correct spelling and diction on some posts. It makes you look small and petty and draconian. And it makes Miles City look biased and mean about everything !!!
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14145) 5 years ago
Facst are important, like you can only get whole milk from a Holstein. Half and half comes from a milk cow that is halfstein and half ayeshire. Trust me on this, my last name rhymes with bovine.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr. (11/16/2014)]
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+9842) 5 years ago
I was merely pointing out the law. And the law it is. If you wish to break it, that is certainly up to you. While I know a number of people who love the taste of raw milk, it is not a miracle drug and it can be source of assorted nasty bugs. If an adult choses to drink it, I think that should be their choice but it should be an informed choice.