Should business's inform public of felon workers?
Posted by Jj123 (+11) 6 years ago
Question, I try not to be a judgemental person today I walked into a local business and was astonished to see a person convicted with a heinous crime regarding children behind the desk. Shouldn't the business notify the public with children. ? I will not be going in there again, definately not with my daughter. I find it disturbing, does any one else have any thoughts?
Posted by Steve Sullivan (+1302) 6 years ago
First: you haven't supplied enough information for me to make any solid judgement.

Second: If it was a sexual predator crime then those people are already in a database and everyone has access to information about that.

Third: If someone is convicted of a crime do you think they should wear their history on their shirts or something? As far as I know, hiring convicted felons is not against the law and they have an assumed right to privacy just like you and I do (depending on the crime of course).

Just because you recognize them, and know of their crime status, doesn't mean they don't have a right to hold a job and should have to announce to everyone what they did in the past.

Again, you haven't really supplied enough information.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11447) 6 years ago
So, should they not be given a chance to reform? If all convicted felons are denied jobs, they end up homeless and that is hardly a solution. Or do you want him locked up forever? Our prisons are already over-stuffed in this country.

If he is not in a position where he is alone with small children, I see no problem. He is hardly going to assault a child from a cash register.
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4949) 6 years ago
you should perhaps read "The Scarlet Letter"....
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8985) 6 years ago
It's a double win then Amorette - you can bitch about how terrible they are for whatever crime the committed, and then you can complain about how they're sucking off of the public teat because they don't have a job.
+1
Posted by Donald Mullikin (+145) 6 years ago
Amorette Allison wrote:

So, should they not be given a chance to reform? If all convicted felons are denied jobs, they end up homeless and that is hardly a solution. Or do you want him locked up forever? Our prisons are already over-stuffed in this country.

If he is not in a position where he is alone with small children, I see no problem. He is hardly going to assault a child from a cash register.

Please refer to the highlighted text above -- in bold, to understand that I disagree. Criminals are not as commonly found being homeless like most might think.

Studies have shown that the recidivism rate for criminals is highest for those who cannot adjust to life outside of the prison due to not being able to find adequate work, inability to find clean housing, or a myriad of other reasons -- some real, some not.

So, if they can't work, they will generally devolve back to their prior behavior's just to go back where they can survive without all the stress.

I personally find it disturbing that people do not understand that after a person has been convicted and served his/her time, they have a right to return to society without society attempting to try them again for a crime they have already paid their debt for.

Am I suggesting that you forgive and forget? No! That is not what I am suggesting at all.
That person -- according to the legal and penal system, has paid their debt for the crime they committed, but they will have to earn trust all over again. How can they do that if no one will allow them to do so?
Do not forget what they did, but do not treat them like they just did that crime.
Do:
Be civil,
Overcome your own phobia's,
Treat that person how society as a whole expects you to treat them.
and above all else,
Be observant.
Posted by Oddjob (+187) 6 years ago
Donald Mullikin wrote:
Treat that person how society as a whole expects you to treat them. and above all else,
Be observant.

So...Treat them like you would treat anyone else....

Just don't turn your back on them......

I fail to see how this helps anyone regain trust.