Evergreen bushes
Posted by TDF (+153) 5 years ago
Just wondering if anyone else has noticed that a lot of evergreen bushes in town are dying. Perhaps there is a bug infestation or something? The bushes at the courthouse are also afflicted. In driving around Miles City, there are several areas with brown, dead evergreens. Does anyone know what this is?
Posted by Renegade (+71) 5 years ago
Spider mites probably
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14051) 5 years ago
Probably a combintion of factors too wet, higher humdity, spider mites, old age, etc.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+9729) 5 years ago
The extension column in the Star addressed this back in July. It was combination of weather and mites.
supporter
Posted by Don Birkholz (+1091) 5 years ago
Seems to also be a lot of dead branch tips on the apples. Probably fire blight, although late in the season for blight, generally.

And the Elms around Broadus have lost 90% of their leaves.

[This message has been edited by Don Birkholz (9/1/2014)]
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+1811) 5 years ago
I had evergreen bushes in my yard here in Minot die. I noticed there was a lot off dead ones around town. I went to the local nursery and talked to "the guy". He told me it was because of the weather late last fall and early winter. He said it was because we got really cold weather before it snowed. He said the snow cover protects them. I also discovered that I probably planted them to close together. But they did last 15 years.
Posted by celeste williams (+158) 5 years ago
My apple,pear,and cherry trees have the same problem. Our plum tree is the only one not afflicted. We live on Riverside Street. Any ideas on how to treat it would be greatly appreciated.
Posted by Stan Wheeler (+1176) 5 years ago
We have been battling fire blight in our apple trees since spring. You must prune out all affected branches, being sure to dip your pruners in a bleach/water solution between each cut. Haul off or burn all branches right away. We have even been told to change clothes immediately after pruning.

Good luck getting rid of it!

Liz Wheeler
Posted by jeff boggs (+114) 5 years ago
Winter kill we lost 9 trees.
Posted by celeste williams (+158) 5 years ago
Thank you Liz!
Posted by RA (+648) 5 years ago
A landscaper advised us that it was a virus among the cedars - junipers.
Posted by jeff boggs (+114) 5 years ago
We lost pear,peach,elm,cherry,3 plums,apricot and a juniper WE did not plant back any of those trees. Miles city and Ft Smith