Nate Silver Takes a Look at Names
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+9999) 7 years ago
Nate Silver wrote:
Picture Mildred, Agnes, Ethel and Blanche. Perhaps you imagine the Golden Girls or your grandmother’s poker game. These are names for women of age, wisdom and distinction. The median living Mildred in the United States is now 78 years old.

Now imagine Madison, Sydney, Alexa and Hailey. They sound like the starting midfield on a fourth-grade girls’ soccer team. And they might as well be: the median American females with these names are between 9 and 12 years old.

There are quite a lot of websites devoted to tracking the popularity of American baby names over time. (The data ultimately comes from the Social Security Administration, which records birth names dating back to 1880.) But we haven’t seen anyone ask the age of living Americans with a given name.

The method for determining the answer is quite simple: All you really need is the SSA’s baby name database and its actuarial tables, which estimate how many people born in a given year are still alive.

http://fivethirtyeight.co...-her-name/
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17230) 7 years ago
First time I ever heard that Madison was a girl's name, was in this 1980s bra contest:

Given that the winner moved onto bigger celebrity, I am not surprised that it became a popular name. But I don't believe most prospective parents realize that it originally had to do with having a nice rack.
Posted by Oddjob (+192) 7 years ago
Curious. The popularity of boys names seems to have switched from New Testament names of Saints and Apostles to Old Testament names of Prophets.

That, and it appears there may be 150,000 - 200,000 women, age 20-25, who despise their parents for naming them "Brittany"
supporter
Posted by Amorette F. Allison (+1915) 7 years ago
Josh once had a girls sports team he was covering that had five Brittanys--all spelled differently. It's like Michaela. Everyone has a different phonetic spelling, including, in some cases, apostrophes.

From experience I can tell you, give your kid an oddball name, their name will NEVER be spelled correctly. I answer to anything vaguely resembling my name.
Posted by wilmajean (+37) 7 years ago
Lol I was a dumb twenty year old in the early 80s, my daughters middle name is Brittany----spelled Brytannie. I am still telling her sorry.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+2036) 7 years ago
Well it could have been Paris LOL
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6175) 7 years ago
Wilmajean,

Tell your daughter she could easily change the spelling of her name.

[This message has been edited by Wendy Wilson (8/2/2014)]
Posted by Oddjob (+192) 7 years ago
It's probably not much consolation for the parents of Brittanys, but all the "Mileys" will be enrolling in Elementary School soon.....
Posted by Gwen Gunther (+111) 7 years ago
My mother claims that part of the reason she named me Gwen was that she wanted my first name to be something easily spelled as she figured I would spend a large portion of my life spelling my last name, Gamrath. Nice theory, but it didn't work that way. Apparently it's not easy to spell because every twenty-something that asks my name either has to ask the spelling OR spells it "Quen". I think it would be easier to be one of the Brittany(s! I named my daughter Kaleigh, I won't suffer alone
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6175) 7 years ago
The short form of my given name is frequenty misheard as a more common man's name. I let it go.