Plagiarist or a pinhead?
supporter
Posted by Amorette F. Allison (+1910) 6 years ago
In a state that once produced Mansfield, Melcher and Metcalf, we now have a choice between a plagiarist and a pinhead.

I weep for Congress and the country. I truly do.
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4949) 6 years ago
me too and the the democrat is really a DINO...no choices left
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+16627) 6 years ago
C'mon, now. So what if Walsh is a plagiarist and is really a moderate Republican at heart?

HE IS NOT A TEA PARTY MORAN LIKE DAINES!

It is up to us to rally around all we have left and keep the Tea Party out of the government.

And don't blame me....I voted for John Bohlinger in the primary.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8972) 6 years ago
You take what you can get - and Daines is terribad.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+16627) 6 years ago
I'm just glad I'm old and they didn't have an internet around when I was in college. I probably would have cut and pasted tons of stuff into my thesis. Instead, I had to type it all with my fat little fingers.

This blog puts it in good context,

http://intelligentdiscont...r-montana/

[This message has been edited by Gunnar Emilsson (7/24/2014)]
Posted by RA (+653) 6 years ago
Plagiarism is serious business. It is little more than stealing. Many universities will penalize a student for plagiarizing - not only failure of the course, but unceremonious dismissal from the university AND a good probability of NOT gaining admittance to another university!

Montana State University:
Plagiarism

Paraphrasing or quoting another’s work without citing the source is a form of academic misconduct. Even inadvertent or unintentional misuse or appropriation of another's work (such as relying heavily on source material that is not expressly acknowledged) is considered plagiarism. If you have any questions about using and citing sources, you are expected to ask for clarification.

Academic Misconduct

Section 420 of the Student Conduct Code describes academic misconduct as including but not limited to plagiarism, cheating, multiple submissions, or facilitating others’ misconduct. Possible sanctions for academic misconduct range from an oral reprimand to expulsion from the university.

Texas A & M University:
Consequences of Plagiarism and Academic Dishonesty

Plagiarism and academic dishonesty can have some severe penalties and repercussions. Instructors may recommend:

Redoing the assignment
Failing the assignment
Receiving a reduced grade in the course
Failing the course with a grade of XF (indicates that course was failed due to academic dishonesty and student cannot graduate until they have it removed by going through remediation)
Counseling or recommending remediation for the student
Dismissing the student from the University
Having a record that indicates you committed an act of academic dishonesty
Posted by Dr Mac (+82) 6 years ago
Actually, I think he is both. Most universities now have sophisticated software (like Turnitin) that assesses the papers and theses for this very issue. Even just 10-15 years ago and today, you could Google a phrase or sentence and up pops the source. Even gives the page number of the source, etc. Sorry he got caught up in this but it doesn't surprise me. It is not difficult to properly attribute other's writings/thoughts, but it is difficult to write your own thoughts/analysis for both masters and doctoral theses. All graduate students need to be very cautious about how they approach their writings.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6170) 6 years ago
Wow.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8972) 6 years ago
Still better than Daines.
Posted by redmondroughneck (+80) 6 years ago
Do you really want a man who lies and cheats representing you? Wait a minute, he will fit right in with the rest of them.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11432) 6 years ago
I have interviewed Steve Daines. I will hold sigh heavily and vote for Walsh.
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+3139) 6 years ago
A good reason to remember quotation marks despite footnoting the origin of the words. A positive, however, is not lying about it. Also, Senator Walsh may want to keep his climb in the polls to himself...just sayin'.