Microsoft Phone Numbers??
Posted by Tim Wagoner (+760) 7 years ago
Does anyone who reads milescity.com know of anyway other than Microsofts automated online support to actually call them about an email account/problem.

My sister lost her hard disk and she has forgotten her password to her Hotmail account. It is her main business email account. She can't remember her security question and she never set up any alternative email or phone number.

All the online recovery forms ask for one of the above or more. She has her mail in a saved folder back to 4/14. She has filled in the forms asking for content from last sent and received email but never gets anywhere with the clowns at Redmond. I know some people read this that has worked for Microsoft. Is there anyway to get this issue resolved, maybe a phone support number she can call even if it is a pay for support number.
Posted by Kacey (+3159) 7 years ago
Thanks for the link, But she has no alternative email set in her Microsoft account. She cannot check her Hotmail so she has no way to retrieve a security code. We have went through all the options that they have given for weeks.

We even sent a request that asks for other types of verification such as last email addresses you sent mail to, Subjects of last sent email, last received email. other passwords you have used.

Microsoft sends a letter back saying they cannot verify account. So it is so sorry sucker, we won't help you.

Personally I told her to dump Microsofts mail system and go with Gmail or Yahoo Mail. Her problem is she sells jewelry and this account has information she needs.

[This message has been edited by Tim Wagoner (7/8/2014)]
Posted by Kacey (+3159) 7 years ago
IF you were to read the link all the way through you would see that they will send the code to your cell phone if you do not have an alternate email. Done deal.
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10001) 7 years ago
I believe the cell phone would had to have been set up before hand. Otherwise anyone could just provide one after the fact. Also, the implementation of two-factor authentication is more of a recent thing - didn't really exist in the past (when the account may have been created).

I personally don't know how to contact anyone to help solve it... other than searching the Internet for solutions and/or paying for official Microsoft Support (which may not help). The main Microsoft campus number is 425-882-8080, however I seriously doubt calling it would get you anywhere unless you actually knew *who* (as in a person's name) you wanted to contact.

admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10001) 7 years ago
The Internet says:

Hotmail is a free e-mail service that is provided by Microsoft. Support is available by e-mail. For more information, visit the following Web site:

http://support.live.com/d...cale=en-us

Which does no good. So I have no idea.
Larry, you are right. The cell phone number would have had to be added to her profile.

Her account was set up long long ago. She has been married 3 times, and has moved from Billings, to Douglas Wyo, to Billings, (in a different house), to Utah, to New Mexico, to Wichita KS, to Broadus and now back to Billings.

It has been her email so long that she is unsure of what name it was originally in, and what phone number was attached to it, what address was listed and when Hotmail started to gather additional information in the profile for recovery purposes, she never provided it.

I really think she is SOL and that she needs to move on. She keeps asking me to help her get it back. She has 5 other email addresses, why I do not know, but she has business info she needs to get from that account.

I am so disappointed in all the companies who used to have phone support that now only use email, or chat. I like to talk to people and not type, and when I want to fix something, I hate waiting for email. When I need help I want it now not tomorrow. I even hate it worse when it turns into a dragged out game of email tag where you know that if you could talk to someone and explain things better that your problem will get answered faster. I refuse email support. I absolutely hate it. Oh and don't get me started over answering machines.....

BTW she has tried the email support to no avail.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6165) 7 years ago
This should be a lesson to us all to keep track of our passwords in a place other than our brains.
I hope things work out for her.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17052) 7 years ago
And assign a second email address and/or a current telephone number to your free-mail accounts.
founder
Posted by Bart Freese (+926) 7 years ago
Don't give up hope.

An older friend of mine forgot his Hotmail password and we went through the full on-line recovery process. Weeks and weeks and more weeks went by. We finally gave up and then one day I got an email (I was using my account to converse with Microsoft) and they said it had been determined that my friend indeed was the owner of the account and they gave me the link to re-set that password.

All was back to normal, but it did take a long time -- probably 3 months.
Posted by Michael LaFayette (+77) 7 years ago
good luck with that, my mom could not get into her hotmail account, still going circles to try and get it back. we have talked to support on phone/ chat support several times and they all say the same thing, use the automated recovery system. well she made her account like 10 years ago and does not remember all the security questions.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14950) 7 years ago
Didn't all the Hotmail accounuts get switched to Outlook.com?
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6165) 7 years ago
Yeah but the address is still hotmail.