supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+15311) 8 years ago
The key to changing our culture is understanding what is driving people's belief systems at a grassroots level. Understanding mass school shootings, the behavior of the Republican party and much of the craziness around us is explained by male shame. Once again Dr. Ray has identified a real problem in our society. This IMO is worth an hour of your time.

Posted by Sam Colt (-137) 8 years ago
Awe…no one interested in male shame. The real problem in our society?

Why wasn’t male shame a problem in the 1920s, 30s, 40s, 50s? Why weren’t there mass shootings back then? How about when a kid could buy a Tommy Gun (a real one) out of a catalog in the 1920s. No mass shootings then. Was that no male shame then or what?
supporter
Doesn't really matter about why there were apparently none in earlier times. It's a problem now and we should deal with it. Watch the video and learn something.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3843) 8 years ago
Richard, I read a great quote this AM on Atheist Nexus.

"You can't know what it feels like to be dead, you're dead.
Only the others, think they know. It's like being stupid."

I can't help but think the only way to bring about changing the violence in society is coming up with a cure for this epidemic of religion that has spread world wide.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9430) 8 years ago
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." Diderot

There are time when I think this could be true, but I think the authoritarian spirit will simply find another office to animate. City/County Planning boards & the like.
founder
supporter
Bridgier,
Posted by Oddjob (+194) 8 years ago
"I can't help but think the only way to bring about changing the violence in society is coming up with a cure for this epidemic of religion that has spread world wide."

Are you saying the reason Chicago is the murder capitol of the U.S. is because of overcrowding in the churches???

Here, all this time, I thought it was gangs, gun bans and dope!

I gotta start watching more MSNBC.
supporter
I believe that this is what he was talking about, the gangs with the biggest guns of them all.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a...3376_n.jpg

I'm posting this as a link, and not as an image, because it's horrific and every time I see it I get angry and that's probably not good for me - but it's something every taxpaying american should take a good hard look at.

If hobby lobby feels that compensating people for the work that they've done goes against their dearest most precious religious morals, then I've got a bone to pick with the IRS, because I probably helped pay for the materiel that produced this outcome.

Praise Jesus, etc, etc.
supporter
Why not just watch the video, oddjob
founder
supporter
Oddjob, If that's what you took away from this entire conversation, sure, why not. Excellent linear thinking, by the way.
Posted by Oddjob (+194) 8 years ago
"Why not just watch the video, oddjob"

I did, Richard...Or at least as much of the pseudo intellectual tsunami of bulls**t as I could stand. The six people in the audience said it all.

Do you guys ever wonder why you have no friends and your family avoids you like the plague?
supporter
I'm happy to be friends with Richard, and the current difficulties he's having with his family are his difficulties, not yours, and I find your attempt to use them against him somewhat ironic, given the title of the thread.

As far as Tucker goes, he seems to have an active and healthy social life, at least if facebook is to be believed.

I don't know about you though oj, because you're an anonymous coward, just another internet tough guy hiding behind a pseudonym. If you could choke yourself on a bag of salty salted dicks at your earliest convenience, that would be appreciated.
Posted by Elizabeth Emilsson (+797) 8 years ago
In addition to what Bridger is saying, Tucker has an enviable social life and relationship with his family and friends. Richard takes the time to post material that provokes though and interesting discussion other than " I was insulted by a waitress last night."

It's high time someone pays attention to male shame.

By the way I forgive all you males, who actually feel sham
Posted by Sam Colt (-137) 8 years ago
Mr, Former CA authoritarian liberal,

How ironic it is that you bash religion which is exactly what waned just when people stated behaving in all sorts of violent ways in the US. Research mass/rampage shootings.

Cultural revolution in the US 1965. God is dead.
Aug 1, 1966 University of Texas massacre FIRST MASS SHOOTING SPREE IN USA. And on it goes.

I say this from a viewpoint of someone that does not believe that God exists. I can’t say it’s impossible, but I haven’t seen it yet. And, unless I do I’ll go on believing that there is not God. Still, I recognize that the world (and the USA in particular) was a better place when average Joe believed in God.

If however in your comment “I can't help but think the only way to bring about changing the violence in society is coming up with a cure for this epidemic of religion that has spread world wide.” you are referring to the worldwide Islamic religion epidemic. I stand humbly corrected in the face of a true genius and retract all of my prior statements.