help! Dodge Steering Knuckle broke off 75mph
Posted by muyxbclk1 (+57) 6 years ago
i was driving from Williston to miles city for 4th of july 2 days off and my 2004 dodge ram 1500 made a "crack" noise so I did a brake test and then my tire flew into the air onto traffic and my steering knuckle broke. I just got fired from being diesel mechanic because I cant drive back up there today! I have less than $2,000 and bought some parts from Dodge dealership. I have all my tools and tool box but cant seem to take it off. any help. or any local automotive am shops. I called " Kellys shop, Les-S, Rays etc. its 7 am and would like any help
my cell 4068538670
god bless!
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+3146) 6 years ago
Did you talk to Dennis at Rolling Rubber...234-4938?
supporter
Posted by Bill Zook (+490) 6 years ago
Chrysler just mailed out info on that particular problem. It instructed you to go to the nearest dealer where it would be repaired. If you are not the owner, or the one who had it a year ago, the info on ownership hasn't caught up to you. Never the less take it to a dealer and I doubt it will cost you for the repair. Can't say about the tow fee and other related expenses. Good luck.
No I have not I tried fixing myself but finally saying it's time for the auto shop to take over
Thanks I moved here from California may 2014
Just bought a 93 car just so I can still work the oil field and make money while I wait to fix my truck.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+16502) 6 years ago
autoblog.com: Chrysler recalls 1.2 million Ram pickup trucks

Statement: Tie-Rod Assembly

November 8, 2013 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - Chrysler Group LLC will conduct three recalls affecting approximately 1.2 million trucks, though as many as 726,000 may not need repair.

The campaigns target an estimated 453,000 vehicles with steering-system tie rods that may have been misaligned during assembly or steering-system service.

Chrysler Group is casting the net wider than necessary to identify those vehicles that require repair. Any found to have suspect tie-rod assemblies will have those components replaced at no cost to customers.

One recall will inspect an estimated 842,400 model-year 2003-2008 Ram 2500 and 3500 trucks to find approximately 116,000 repaired with tie-rod assemblies that could become misaligned. This condition could lead to component fracture and steering loss.

Two additional campaigns are being conducted to capture those vehicles known to have tie-rod assemblies linked to previous recalls. They comprise 294,000 model-year 2008-2012 Ram 2500 and 3500 pickups, chassis cabs and 2008 Ram 1500 4x4 Mega Cabs; plus 43,500 model-year 2008-2012 Ram 4500 and 5500 4x4 chassis cabs.

Chrysler Group is aware of six accidents and two injuries involving model-year 2008-2012 2500 and 3500 trucks and one additional accident with no injuries involving the remaining models.

Affected customers will be notified by mail next month with instructions for making service appointments.

Work could begin as early as January. Customers who own affected 4500 and 5500 models may bring their vehicles to Chrysler Group dealers for interim service because replacement parts may not be available until late 2014.

Interim service would involve component inspections and, if necessary, realignment.

Approximately 968,000 vehicles of the total number affected are in the U.S.; 157,000 are in Canada; 37,100 in Mexico and 18,000 are outside the NAFTA region.

Customers who are concerned may call 1-800-853-1403.

---------------------------

Report Receipt Date: JUL 06, 2011
NHTSA Campaign Number: 11V350000
Component(s): STEERING

Manufacturer: CHRYSLER GROUP LLC

SUMMARY:

CHRYSLER IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2008-2011 DODGE RAM 2500/3500 4X4, MANUFACTURED FROM FEBRUARY 14, 2008, THROUGH MARCH 28, 2011; MODEL YEAR 2008-2011 DODGE RAM 3500 CAB CHASSIS 4X2, MANUFACTURED FROM FEBRUARY 14, 2008, THROUGH MARCH 28, 2011; AND MODEL YEAR 2008 DODGE RAM 1500 MEGA CAB 4X4, MANUFACTURED FROM FEBRUARY 14, 2008, THROUGH AUGUST 15, 2008, BECAUSE THE LEFT TIE ROD BALL STUD MAY FRACTURE. THIS CONDITION TENDS TO OCCUR DURING LOW SPEED PARKING LOT TYPE MANEUVERS WHEN THE CUSTOMER IS MAKING A TIGHT TURN. ADDITIONALLY, MODEL YEAR 2003-2008 DODGE RAM 2500/3500 VEHICLES MAY HAVE RECEIVED THE AFFECTED TIE ROD ASSEMBLY AS A REPLACEMENT PART DURING NORMAL SERVICE.

CONSEQUENCE:

THIS CONDITION COULD RESULT IN THE POTENTIAL LOSS OF DIRECTIONAL STABILITY IN THE LEFT HAND FRONT WHEEL, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

REMEDY:

DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE TIE ROD ENDS FOR RELATIVE ORIENTATION AND REPLACE THE LEFT OUTER TIE ROD AS REQUIRED AND PERFORM A FRONT END TOE ALIGNMENT AS NEEDED. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON OCTOBER 3, 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.

NOTES:

CHRYSLER SAFETY RECALL NO. L16. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV
Oh my god. I didn't know this is exactly like what happen to my dodge ram truck lost control. Thanks so much
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+3146) 6 years ago
AN OBSERVATION: David Schott and Bill Zook are Super Classy Guys. Such great help for this person. I think this is a reminder of how great milescity.com can be!!!
founder
Posted by Ineedsun (+184) 6 years ago
We got the recall notice back at the end of 2013. We took our 2010 Ram 2500 in as soon as we could but as of this writing, they STILL don't have the parts to replace. We are on the road with our fifth wheel. Pretty unnerving wondering if something like this could happen at any moment. :-(
Posted by Dr Mac (+82) 6 years ago
Our 2010 Dodge fell apart (differential I think) on a dangerous stretch of highway in downtown Houston with no service lanes last Friday as we were on our way for vacation in Lousiana. Will keep it short -- took forever to get anyone to tow us because two said the location was too dangerous. Got it to the dealer right before closing and the Service Manager said, oh that is a recall and all repairs and a rental will be paid for. So we are now 10 days out. My poor husband has several jobs he is having trouble completing. He may have to rent a truck this week. He bulletproofs cashier areas for convenience stores. In Houston has already done about 250, but even though he has tried to retire three times, they have started calling again. Stay away from Houston, folks. Just kidding. It is lovely but there are some scum also moving here.
founder
Sorry...

founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+2002) 6 years ago
Great Video ol'Deano
Notice the cig and he throws it on the floor.

[This message has been edited by Tom Masa (7/5/2014)]
founder
I noticed that too. He had to free both hands to play that harmonica!
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+2002) 6 years ago
He was singing the song as he put his hand to his mouth and it muffled his voice. But later he had put his harmonica backin his pocket and harmonica music played again. And he says you caught me.
Great video. He was a great entertainer. Great singer and he was good in the movies