Don't drink the lye water.
moderator
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17509) 7 years ago
From the Thursday, May 22, 2014, Miles City Star:

[f] Stardust

People and Perspectives from Miles City's past

100 YEARS AGO (1914)

The little child of Mr. and
Mrs. Albert Hanger of
North Cottage Grove Ave-
nue got a hold of a cup of
lye water yesterday and
drank some of the cont-
ents. Little hope was enter-
tained of its recovery.[/f]
Top
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11965) 7 years ago
He died a few hours later.

When people complain about childproof bottles or bike helmets, I can point to Stardust articles with children dying from unintentional poisoning or head injuries from falling off their bike. Regulations are not created in a vacuum but in response to something.
Top
banned
Posted by Jett (+83) 7 years ago
That would be a terrible way of death.I used to think those commercials that said not to put anything in a bottle that was used for food or beverage was stupid.Who would do something so stupid and they should be kid proofed anyway. Recently I went exercising.Got home,out of breath,thirstythirsty.Grabbed gallon jug of drinking water upended it and poured it down my throat chugging as exercise takes a lot of water and I drink a lot of water.Downed half a quart or more in a few seconds.Luckily I had diluted the ammonia that I use for pretreating clothes to about half.Had oxy in it also.Ok.Isolated incidence.I drink bottled water and refill my gallon jugs and that jug with ammonia should have been labled or put away.Months later.I went exercising and got home. thirstythirsty you get the picture. Well maybe I did it twice and I am an adult. Feel free to make fun of me for that reason. It only takes once for a child as noted above.
Top
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6171) 7 years ago
Perhaps you should bring your water with you when you exercise.
Top
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1659) 7 years ago
Oompa loompa doopity do, I’ve got another lesson for you.

Oompa loompa doopity dee, if you are smart you’ll listen to me.

When you work out and you drink from a jug

You need to think twice after pulling the plug.

Drinking poison once should make it okay.

To throw the ammonia and water away.

Oompa loompa doopity dunce, shouldn’t you learn after doing it once?

Oompa loompa doopity dork, picture poison when you’re pulling a cork.

What good will exercising really do for you?

If you drink poison when the workout is through?

This might explain why you never can see

How annoying reading your writing can be.

Does ammonia ingestion create a page free

Of paragraph indents using the enter key?

Oompa loompa doopity dan,

Got thirsty, just drank the poison again.

I drink ammonia when I workout 1, 2.

Like the Oompa Doompa don’t ever do!


FH
Top
banned
Posted by Jett (+83) 7 years ago
So don`t read my posts frank.Unless you cannot help yourself as it seems.The message here is that not only poisonous liquids are dangerous when not properly put away even if you live alone,but think about prescription drugs.By making fun of my post of my experience that was intended to make a point about safety,you are also making fun of the child that died in the beginning post frank hardy.
Top
moderator
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17509) 7 years ago
Looks like "NDJ" is back.
Top
Posted by Elizabeth Emilsson (+792) 7 years ago
aS A FORMER special education teacher I've noticed that humor impairment is one of the hardest disabilities to deal with.
It maybe in the same brain field as impulsively drinking from unmarked b0ttles or jugs.
Frank, that was very clever.
Top
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1659) 7 years ago
Jett said:

Feel free to make fun of me for that reason.


If I hurt your feelings, sorry. Sometimes these jingle things just start appearing in my mind and I post them if it seems like the person is a safe target or can take it. If I misread you, sorry.

FH
Top
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6171) 7 years ago
Frank,

Please feel free to compose any ditty about me you want to. I would be honored.
Top
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17731) 7 years ago
The ditty that ran through my head was a little Howlin Wolf:

You mixed my drink
with a can of Red Devil lye
Then you sat down, watching me,
hoping that I would die
Top
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9307) 7 years ago
I sniffed ammonia once on a dare, when I was a young and unsupervised lad of 15. I'm not saying it's the worst impulsive decision I've ever made, but it's the only one where I've followed it up by snorting water up my nose from a drinking fountain to put out the fire in my brain.

BigDryBug MAY have been involved.

See how easy this post is to follow? I reach the end of a thought, or wish to emphasize something, and so I introduce a line break to facilitate the comprehension of my thoughts by my fellow posters.
Top