founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9335) 5 years ago
“A great burger should . . . taste completely of itself.”

It’s amazing how/why so many purveyors of burgers don’t understand that simple fact.

Deconstructing the Perfect Burger
By Sam Sifton
THE NEW YORK TIMES
June 23, 2014
http://www.nytimes.com/20....html?_r=0
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9335) 5 years ago
Burger Poll

Diner or Pub/tavern style?

Tavern-style for me
supporter
Posted by Amorette F. Allison (+1907) 5 years ago
My mother was a huge burger purist. Lettuce, tomato, onions and BURGER. Other vegetables if available but none of this stuffing it with weird stuff or adding veal or any of that.

ETA: She also considered 'steak sauce' of any kind a sin against steak.

[This message has been edited by Amorette F. Allison (6/24/2014)]
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+13655) 5 years ago
Definitely tavern style.

Don't grill a burger? What kind of kooky talk is that???

Oh....its from someone who tops his burger with American cheese.

I like to get charcoal going as hot as I can. Make a burger patty with a couple of dollop depressions in the center of each side. Kosher or sea salt, a LOT of fresh black pepper, then brush on a little olive oil and let it sit at room temperature for 20 minutes before grilling.

Place the patty on the roaring hot grill, sear it for 4-5 minutes, flip, another 4-5 minutes, and its done. Optional: Add some extra sharp cheddar or swiss on top after the first flip, and cover for the last minute or two to melt the cheese.

Let sit for a couple of minutes while you quickly sear the bun (buttered of course), and you are ready to eat. Onions, yellow mustard, Wickle's relish and Heinz ketchup for me, lettuce and tomato only if it summer and the tomato is from the garden. Bacon once in a blue moon. And a glass of pilsner.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8278) 5 years ago
Where's the roasted poblanos?
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Dave Roberts (+1248) 5 years ago
This is a great burger