Cream colored Squirrels?
Posted by rjg (+318) 8 years ago
Has anyone ever seen a cream colored Squirrel. The body is cream colored, the legs and tail are light red. This particular Squirrel had little ones and we have noticed one out of the three babies is also a cream colored Squirrel. Let us know, is this unusual? I do have pictures.

[This message has been edited by rjg (6/1/2014)]

[This message has been edited by rjg (6/1/2014)]
Posted by snickers (+828) 8 years ago
I am guessing it is a mutation. I would like to see the pics
https://www.google.com/se...2#imgdii=_

[This message has been edited by snickers (6/1/2014)]
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+12085) 8 years ago
We also get some odd squirrels when the imported greys mate with the local reds.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9362) 8 years ago
I read this as 'Cream covered Squirrels'.

Which sounds delicious.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17809) 8 years ago
Sounds like someone has lived in Idaho too long.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9362) 8 years ago
Squirrels are a little light on the bone. Rockchucks though... well, them's good eating.
supporter
Posted by cj sampsel (+475) 8 years ago
There are several cities back east who's claim to fame are their
white squirrels.
Posted by Martin Draper (+75) 8 years ago
My sister out in the valley has these whitish/cream colored squirrels on Her property.
Before that, and still, is them red colored squirrels.
The squirrels before that is the grey squirrels.
Are`nt all squirrels in this area an "Invasive Species" ????
I heard that even the grey squirrels were imported from back east, or, south or wherever they came from.
Them red squirrels is carnivorous and will actually eat the grey squirrels babies, and now, the cream colored ones babies too. Those red squirrels also eat the eggs of birds, including pheasant eggs, so, if You like Your pheasants and have any red squirrels running about, You might want to try and figure out a way of eliminating them reds.
NOW, every thing I have wrote is just hear-say, so, that means You might want to do some searching and see if these items I have wrote about is the actual truth.
Thas all.
supporter
Posted by Amorette F. Allison (+1913) 8 years ago
The red squirrels are a native species. The grey squirrels were brought to Miles City in the early 1930s by the Rod and Gun Club for hunting. The greys refused to live in the pine trees around town and stayed in the city and the rest is history.
I think the reds we see here are also may be a mutation. The ones I see are actually cross of fox squirrel. https://www.google.com/#q...quirrel%22 I have never seen what is actually a red squirrel around here
https://www.google.com/#q...quirrel%22
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+15197) 8 years ago
Look in the mirror, snickers. Bam red squirel. I'm joking. You can kick my ass.
naaaa I love ya
Posted by Jen Rivenes Jensen (+15) 8 years ago
Hi,
We see white (or cream colored) squirrels in the St. Louis area occasionally too. The story is that they were brought over the Mississippi River from Illinois. We've had them in our yard in University City.
Posted by Elizabeth Emilsson (+793) 8 years ago
I read several years ago that the red squirrels are also invasive and that the travel along rivers. You don't want them in your attic because they chew up insulation and electrical wires. Lucy, my squirrel stalking cat, keeps them away from the tomatoes.
Posted by Tim Wagoner (+756) 8 years ago
In Joplin MO., where my mother and father lived for 20+ years after leaving Miles City have an abundance of Reds. They never caused any problem. Never heard anyone complain about squirrels in the attic. I would prefer reds to grays. We fed them by hand, along with every batch of baby raccoons that one specific momma raccoon had.

Fun times.