Land Use Planning
Posted by Joe Whalen (+618) 7 years ago
The story above the fold in Friday's edition of the Star illustrates the value of land use planning to developers and anyone else with an interest in how the community deals with growth and manages risk.
http://milescitystar.com/...sue-tabled

It seems especially important during a boom (and in anticipation of bust) when extraordinary pressures to expand can color the better judgment of the local business owners and policymakers. It may be a new experience for Miles City, but it's not for our neighbors.
http://future-west.org/pr...evelopment
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3637) 7 years ago
It seems especially important during a boom (and in anticipation of bust) when extraordinary pressures to expand can color the better judgment of the local business owners and policymakers.

Better Judgement, policy makers, in the same sentence and you managed that with a straight face?

As a former professional city planner and property developer, I can't help but remember my first encounter with the City staff and policy makers in MC. A friend asked if I could help him subdivide his property. I agreed.

I asked if I could buy a copy of the municipal code. A simple matter in the known world. "Why do you want to buy one? I'm not sure where it is" was the response from the City Clerk. She rummaged around and found the existing copy, dusted it off and offered to copy it for me at twenty cents per page. I set in the office and selected the pages I wanted copied, returned it and asked where the planning office was. There is no need to bore you with the rest of this story.

In the fifteen years that I was a resident of MC, I attended probably fifteen City Council meetings on behalf of friends and civic activities that I was involved with. I tried to address the council in a respectful and professional manner but found it very difficult as I watched in amazement at one member dozing off and even snoring. There was another member that voted "no" on everything, just because. All decisions were based on the majority opinion of the council, without the recommendations from professional staff and with total disregard for the law. The law being, their own, outdated, unrevised and unapproved Municipal code. No wonder they had to look around to find the one copy in existence.

Joe, you offer good information. You always have. Even when I didn't agree with you, it was impressive to hear you defended your decisions with eloquence and intelligence.

I must ask, are you closing the gate after the horse is out? Have things changed radically? What makes you believe these pearls cast into the trough will not be ignored?
Thanks for watching the clip, Tucker. The intent is to meet local hostility toward land use planning with the testimony of hard lessons learned by policymakers in Rifle, Pinedale and Williston. It's presented mainly for the benefit of Custer County voters, especially those living within the jurisdiction of the former city/county planning board, who allowed themselves to be hoodwinked into dissolving that board less than five years ago. At the time, we had a strong planning board under the competent leadership of John Kuntz and the stewardship of a staff planner with an masters in public administration from MSU.

The outcome, of course, was the establishment of two planning boards, two "planners", two growth plans, two sets of subdivision regulations, etc. The local economic development council even jumped in with its own handpicked planning task force under the assumption that "more is better", I guess.

So, under the weight of all this apparatus and even as planning and zoning are different land use planning activities, the zoning commission must now confront a developer of one of the largest commercial buildings in the city who dubiously claims ignorance of the fact that his parcel is zoned for Agricultural use, well after the site has been graded and the foundation poured. That should tell us all something about regard for the site plan review process in Custer County.

Have things changed radically? Chairs have moved, new suits have been seated and land use planning is an afterthought still largely held in contempt, both in Miles City and throughout the state of Montana. Draw your own conclusions.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8990) 7 years ago
This is all a bunch of socilism, and I'm agin it.
Posted by Donald Mullikin (+145) 7 years ago
Maybe Joe or Tucker could point interested persons to where or whatever the present land use policies/maps for the MC area are.

I am in the process of purchasing a 40 acre parcel within T08N-R49E, which is NE of MC currently shown on County Assessments as being Agricultural, but I have no idea if MC will be claiming that area as being within their jurisdiction for Land-Use policies or how they will define it on their Zoning Maps.

If neither of you knows of the web address of the zoning maps and Land-Use Ordinances/Municipal codes, could you at least let me know if they presently claim jurisdiction over that township? If not, do you know where I should be able to find the County Codes that might apply for land-use/zoning out there?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide.
Don
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11447) 7 years ago
The zoning 'doughnut' extends 2 miles beyond the city limits. The folks upstairs in City Hall in the engineering department can tell you what the city has jurisdiction over. The fact that it is zoned makes me suspect it will fall under the city jurisdiction. The county has never had zoning, to the extent that it was unable to do the zoning around the airport when it was required. The city had to do that.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14728) 7 years ago
Donald: What section in that township are you purchasing your forty? That township is part of the Sundial Ranchettes fiasco. Buyer beware.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr. (5/4/2014)]
Posted by K. D. (+366) 7 years ago
This might be of some help to you. You have 2 miles outside of the "donut" area, which is the red line in the corners.
http://milescity-mt.org/w...-x-171.pdf
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Don, your questions convince me that you're gifted with both.
supporter
Posted by Amorette F. Allison (+1910) 7 years ago
Unlike the flood plain, if any land is out of the doughnut, the entire parcel is out. I was also not reading closely. Agricultural assessment is different than agricultural zoning. One is for taxes and the other is for land use.

Sundial has a lack of potable water. You can drill a well and get what is essentially Alka-Seltzer.
posted by K-D,
This might be of some help to you. You have 2 miles outside of the "donut" area, which is the red line in the corners.
http://milescity-mt.org/wp-content/...one-Map-11-x-171.pdf

Thank you K-D, that is a help.
posted by Amorette F. Allison,

Sundial has a lack of potable water. You can drill a well and get what is essentially Alka-Seltzer.

Thank you, that is good to know. Just convinces me that I will have to include a greater degree of water reclamation in my building plans.

Don
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14728) 7 years ago

Umm.. it depends on how deep you drill the well.

Water in the first 30-50 feet will eat the galvinizing off a steel bucket. If you drill down 600-800 feet, you'll find the kind of water Jesus turned into wine. Very refreshing.