Bakelite saloon token
supporter
Posted by Amorette F. Allison (+1916) 7 years ago
I am assuming Bakelite but I could be wrong.

Anyway, I have been loaned some form of square plastic tokens, each for the usual 12 1/2 cents, a red one labeled "Kelly's Miles City, Mont.";a white one labeled "Bullard Block Bar,"; and a blue one that says "M. W. Milligan Miles City, Mont."

I have seen oval metal tokens and doughnut-shaped metal tokens and squared-off metal tokens but these are my first old plastic saloon tokens.

Anyone out there know anything about them? Should I toss them in the vault or toss them out?
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6165) 7 years ago
If they're bakelite they will smell of camphor when warmed, as in hot water.
Vintage bakelite jewelry is very collectible. I don't know about the tokens though.
supporter
Posted by Mrs. M (+710) 7 years ago
Ike Eichler is who you need to visit with, he has co-authored a book on tokens.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 7 years ago
The minute I read his name, I smacked myself in the forehead. Right. Ike. I knew that. Thanks for stepping in for my brain cells.
supporter
Posted by ike eichler (+1226) 7 years ago
Thanks to Mrs. M. but no such thing as a co-author, a consultant would be more descriptive.

The tokens are Celluloid. Kellys and the Bullard block bar are both listed but the Milligan one is not. M W had a bottling works at one time and embossed soda bottles are often encountered.

Are they for sale?
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 7 years ago
They were dug out of the Range Riders Museum collection. They are going through stuff out there and lots of wonderful finds are turning up. I have a beautiful blue M. W. Milligan soda siphon and they may be displayed together at some point. If you would like to see them, they are on my desk. I will be at work on Monday morning but off the rest of the week. I will probably take them back to the Museum and you can look at them out there, too.
supporter
Posted by ike eichler (+1226) 7 years ago
The Bullard Block Bar one is known in token circles as a "maverick" because of the lack of a town name. It of course has been attributed to Miles City for obvious reasons.

There are somewhere in the 90 known range of business and individuals that have issues tokens in Miles City. That figure may be almost tripled or more if one takes in account the different denominations.

Of further interest, there are 5 different names of Madams or the girls that had tokens. All are the 5 cent variety, and had nothing to do with the trade. It is assumed that they were good for a player piano or a cigar. Frankie Blair is the most well known of the 5.