divorce records?
founder
Posted by Bret Barber (+7) 20 years ago
Are these records kept at the county? If so, how far back do they go? I'm looking for a divorce in the 20's, or possibly, early 30's. I need to see all of them because I'm not quite sure of the names I'm looking for. HELP

Thanks,
Bret
founder
Posted by H Lockie (+7) 20 years ago
The divorce records are at the Clerk of Court office at the Custer County Courthouse -- Telephone (406) 233-3326.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 20 years ago
Robin Gerber says they are indexed and, as far as she knows, go way back. She has done a lot of research throught the genealogical society. Should be time consuming but far from impossible to track the records down.
--Amorette
founder
That's good news. The problem I have is two-fold: I'm in California and I am looking for an unknown name. I have a time frame for a birth (1920-28)and a divorce range(1921-30). Problem is that I need to cross-referance the two to see if I come up with a common name. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the reply,
Bret
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10001) 20 years ago
Hi Bret,
I'm afraid none of the records are computerized, and because of that, you would have to show up in person and do lots of manual research.

The good thing, however, (and anyone please correct me if I am wrong) is that Miles City has never had a major catastrophy which destroyed public records (such as a courthouse burning down). So they are all probably still there. In one form or another, anyway.

In anycase, it could end up a good reason for visiting MC.

Regards, Larry

[This message has been edited by Larry Antram (edited 9/25/2001).]
founder
I might do that next spring. But in the mean time, I'd like to see what I can get on the web. Would it be possible for the geneaology society to do some of this for me? I'm running out of strands to follow. Any other avenues I can pursue? Let me know and thanks for the invite!

Bret :-)
founder
If you would care to e-mail the Chamber of Commerce with the information you are looking for, we could help you find it. Our e-mail is [email protected] or you could send us a fax at (406) 232-6914. We do help people find information they are seeking.
founder
If you would care to e-mail the Chamber of Commerce with the information you are looking for, we could help you find it. Our e-mail is [email protected] or you could send us a fax at (406) 232-6914. We do help people find information they are seeking.