NASA Says Humanity Is Pretty Much Screwed
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10001) 7 years ago
Gizmodo wrote:
Hope you've enjoyed civilized life, folks. Because a new study sponsored by NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center says the world's industrial societies are poised to collapse under the weight of their own unsustainable appetites for resources. There goes the weekend . . . and everything after it for the rest of our lives.

The research article appears in the peer-reviewed scientific journal Ecological Economics, but Dr. Nafeez Ahmed, executive director of the Institute for Policy Research & Development, has a more understandable (but no less harrowing) summary over at The Guardian. Either way, the news isn't good—as the researchers point out, history doesn't seem to hold out any favor for advanced societies.

http://gizmodo.com/nasa-b...1544660726
Posted by Oddjob (+194) 7 years ago
I think it's much worse than they suspect.

What these guys are not taking into account in their model, is that the "Elites" can afford large quantities of cocaine, and therefore, can afford to NOT EAT. It's only logical to assume, taking into account consumption rates, that what the "Elites" are not eating, must be being consumed in excess by the disadvantaged masses, who can only afford to smoke pot and are afflicted by the "munchies". Considering there are far more of the disadvantaged who are smoking and consuming at a much higher rate, the assumptions and numbers presented in the study must be deeply flawed. Instead of the crisis point being achieved in 15 years, it could be as soon as April 1st when the Nevada medical marijuana dispensaries open!

See.

Anybody can model....

Can I get a peer review on this...?
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14950) 7 years ago
Can I get a peer review on this...?

Only if you have peers.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9193) 7 years ago
I hope you're first up against the wall when the time comes oddjob.
Wow.

Feel the love.

[This message has been edited by Oddjob (3/18/2014)]
Posted by Wil Nelson (+81) 7 years ago
As for most minerals all we have to do is go to the astroid belt and bring a few back and we could do that now if needed. Most likely population growth will moderate and even decline slightly according to a UN report. I can not speak to the availability of hydrocarbons but for some reason they keep finding more of the stuff and more renewals will moderate the need for oil, gas etc. There is a lot of thorium in the Rocky Mountains to power thorium reactors so I think we are ok for a good period of time.
supporter
Figures that Bridgier's best shot at problem solving is providing a link to a philosophical discussion.

There are a lot of problems in this world, the most pressing of which will not be solved by humanity regressing into living under a rock. The generations of the last century took mankind from the wheel to space travel. From the outhouse to the dream house and from the telegraph to the Internet. And they did that while literally saving the World from Fascism, Imperialism and nuclear war.

But those generations are gone now or are essentially gone.

The ball is in your court and what you do with it will pretty much decide whether or not your grandchildren get to eat. We are 14 years into the new Millennium, and so far the only "quantum leaps" we have seen is Rap Music, "Social Networking" and Lady Gaga.

If you want to keep a warm place to poop, not die from malaria and avoid having to learn Russian or Chinese, you better get busy trying to figure out how to do that. Sitting around wailing about how screwed you are; hand-wringing and waiting for the last of us to die isn't going to cut it.

Good luck.
supporter
Oh my dear sweet oddjob, you misunderstand me completely.

I think we're procreateed, that we've overbuilt and designed a system that can't/won't be able to survive disruption brought about by cost shocks associated with energy prices.

All those amazing things our forbearers did was possible mostly because energy was almost literally cheaper than dirt but I'm pretty sure those peaks are behind us and the BEST we can hope for is a long and gentle decline, instead of the short and violent scrabble for the go juice and clean water that's more likely to happen.

Amelioration and buffering, that's the hopeful vision of the future that I have oddjob, the hope that it won't be as bad as I think it will be.
That's as good of an excuse as any, for doing nothing.

Enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Here's a couple of useful links for you. With your chosen path, I wouldn't count on the "long and gentle decline." It will be worse than you think it might be.

http://www.rosettastone.c...rn-russian

http://www.rosettastone.c...rn-chinese

http://www.rosettastone.com/learn-arabic

[This message has been edited by Oddjob (3/20/2014)]
supporter
Posted by M T Zook (+515) 7 years ago
Soo.... What are you guys doing in your personal lives to prepare for the global meltdown?

(besides learning foreign languages?)
Let's just say that I won't be on that wall.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14950) 7 years ago
I am convinced that as soon as the FUIGM baby-boom generation is dead or at least out of power, society will improve dramatically. I hope I live long enough to see my dream come true.
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2706) 7 years ago
Agreed Richard!
Posted by Promise Plummer (+11) 7 years ago
I agree with the article.
Posted by Forsyth Mike (+475) 7 years ago
One thing I've learned in my 57 years on this planet is: It's never as bad as they say it's going to be, and it's never as good as they say it's going to be either.

This is true in almost everything but especially politics.

I still remember the "gas lines" of the 1970s, when a lot of smart people thought we would all be forced to drive electric cars before the turn of the century.