Miles City Grocery Stores circa 1961or2
Posted by Carl Wenberg (+45) 8 years ago
Safeway and the Radar Base had a working agreement per US Govt. the base bought many of it's supplies from Safeway. the Mess Sgt. and the store had a deal going concerning S&H Green stamps, the mess Sgt was to turn the stamps over to Air Force for their use, not keep for himself which he did & not turn them over, after leaving the Radar Base for overseas assignment he was met by AF OSI (office of spec. invest) at which time he kissed away many yrs. of AF retiredment
supporter
Posted by Amorette F. Allison (+1910) 8 years ago
Now that is a tale I hadn't heard before. Ah, I remember licking stamps and putting them in books as a kid.
Posted by Bob Wildrick (+58) 8 years ago
He is correct. This was going on when I was there 57-58 but I didn't know that it had to do with S&H Green stamps. I found out about it after I went to Germany. The mess Sgt was a M/Sgt Richardson and what I heard he was buying produce from a wholesaler that was returned from retailers. OSI did inspect and supposedly he had a large quantity of money in a bank in MC and the bank account was called something like Radar Station Mess Account with both his and Major Meyers (the commander) names on the account. What I was told he was given $1,000. plus his normal monthly mess allowance and told to use it up in one month. The guys that played sports against the other radar sites in the 29th AD would come back and rave about their meals and we could never figure out why we got such lousy food, we found out. I guess that one month they had steak and lobster every night.
Posted by Carl Wenberg (+45) 8 years ago
Bob Were you there when some troops stole a few full dressed Turkeys set up for Thanksgiving, they were left out the night before the holiday Richardson went nuts, had to wake up safeway mgr. to scout out a few more birds