Looking for Griffin Ranch
Posted by Heidi Wallenborn (+17) 7 years ago
I'm a descendent of Julia Ann (Ebbertt) Daly who homesteaded along Little Pumpkin Creek with her sons Stephen and Peter Daly in 1884--they arrived from Butler County in Nebraska. Her older stepson, Charles Daly Jr., had already arrived in that area the spring of 1882. Her youngest son from her first marriage, J.T. Hamilton (John Terrance) and his family arrived from South Dakota in 1893 and settled in Stacey. (Her daughter from that same first marriage, Mary Hamilton, married Charles Decker. She was also a school mistress of North Stacey School). Julia's daughter from her marriage to Charles Daly Sr., Roseanna (Annie), married Lewis M. Griffin. After Stephen and Peter moved away, Julia moved in with her daughter and family who had settled on her place. Julia died in 1904 and is buried on the old Griffin Ranch. I know it's a few miles from the old post office site. I'd like to make a trip out to the Stacey area and explore. I live in Washington State. I've recently unearthered all this family history and I need to see the place so much of my Irish ancestors helped settle. Does anyone know where I can find the old Griffin place, if the family cemetery is still there, and if so, is it accessible? Any other information anyone may have about the Dalys, Griffins, and Hamiltons is much appreciated. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Heidi Wallenborn (3/1/2014)]
Posted by William Cain (+65) 7 years ago
The cemetery is still there--It is about 80 miles south of Miles City,all the building are gone --if you go to miles city.com and click on history & Genealogy --you find out about the history of Stacey--
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+587) 7 years ago
Montana, Its Story and Biography: pages 1372 & 1372 has Charles Daly's (stepson of Julia) entry which includes information about other family members. You can read it on Google books. His ranch was 10 sections of Little & Big Pumpkin-- he ran sheep & Herefords. The entry says his father Charles and two brothers joined him on his ranch near Stacey coming from their Nebraska farm in 1883.
Julia's 1907 homestead claim of 160 acres can be referenced on http://glorecords.blm.gov under Powder River County along with other Daly family homestead claims.
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10002) 7 years ago
Julia Ann (Ebbertt) Daly was my ggg-grandmother. If you use Facebook, add "Larry Antram" as a friend and I'll help hook you up with more info. I think Bridgier's aunt Sandra may still live out at the ranch.

http://milescity.com/hist...asp?id=182
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9198) 7 years ago
Yeah, Sandra's still out at the stacey site - the cemetery is another 5 or 10 miles or so up the road from the old town itself.

I guess that makes Julia Daley MY ggg-grandmother as well - I think Larry's been the most active in the genealogy stuff lately, so you'd probably want to take him up on his offer
Posted by montanaman (+298) 7 years ago
http://www.glorecords.blm.gov/search/

here is a link that gives records of old homesteaded settled in the united states its pretty simple to operate it will show you the original records play around with it real neat stuff
admin
founder
Sandra also has the Daly piano, originally brought from Nebraska by wagon. My grandmother inherited it a long time ago, basically "on loan" (as far as The Universe was concerned) since those types of things (such as pianos) tend to out live people - so she eventually passed it on to Sandra to make sure it ended up back at Stacey - where it belonged. Charles Daly Sr. never made it to Montana from Nebraska, but you'll have to contact me for the various details - since not really relevant for a public discussion forum.
Thanks so much for your help! Too bad the buildings are gone.
Thanks Cindy for your help. I'm having trouble navigating that site...I can't find her. Any tips?
I do use Facebook, I'll do what you suggest...thanks! I'm desperate for more information on her and the daly side. I'm going to Ireland later this year and would love to know where she came from.
Thank you so much! Will do. I look forward to getting out there.
Sounds facinating, and I will definitely contact you. I didn't think Charles Sr. made it out of Nebraska, I think it was Julia that came with her boys, as Charles died in 1884 according to my records. A piano, wow. Pretty neat.
I fiddled around with it some more and found her! Pretty exciting!
admin
founder
Charles Sr. died in an institution back in Nebraska. Julia left him before his death to come to Montana.

That was later. Earlier, Julia came from Ireland to New Orleans (the cheapest route across the Atlantic for poor Irish immigrants at the time - as the trip was subsidized by levy construction and the need for workers). Irish laborers weren't worth anything and could be replaced, while people like slaves (at that time) were much more valuable.

Sometime after her trip across, she married Mr. Hamilton, who was a riverboat captain on the Mississippi - who eventually somehow met his demise by drowning. After that, she made her way on up to the Iowa area, and somewhere in that process, met Mr. Daly.

After a bunch of stuff in between, she eventually ended up in Montana with her 3 Hamilton and 3 Daly kids - although the "Daly" kids got involved in some long forgotten family spat - and decided to change their last names from "Daly" to "Daley" by adding an "e".

Anyway, the whole thing is a long complicated story from one branch of the family tree from way over a 100 years ago. Like I said, contact me on Facebook and I'll hook you up with the details.
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+587) 7 years ago
She was enumerated on an Iowa state census as single woman prior to Mr Hamilton marriage. I saw it when I did quick search for her. Her last name was mangled. If you do not have it, I'll transcribe it for you.
admin
founder
Thanks, I probably have it somewhere already though. You're right about that. I was going from memory. Don't have my genealogy software installed on this computer.