Bringing back the good ol’ days
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9922) 7 years ago
The Mammoth Cometh: Bringing extinct animals back to life is really happening — and it’s going to be very, very cool. Unless it ends up being very, very bad.
By Nathaniel Rich
NEW YORK TIMES MAGAZINE
February 27, 2014
http://www.nytimes.com/20....html?_r=1
supporter
Posted by Crapduck Lives! (+156) 7 years ago
Sort of like singularity - it's wonderful, unless it's terrible.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3677) 7 years ago
"The Bird is the Word."

These men are the very definition of patience and optimism. I only wish that more effort were put into resolving the issue of restoration as opposed to mankind's fascination with destruction.

Thanks Hal, for another thought provoking article from the peninsula.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9922) 7 years ago
This is what I commented when I posted the article to FB.

It is, indeed, a fascinating article.

However, I find these plans to recreate extinct species troubling. On the face of it, it sounds cool. But, how ethical is to bring the Mammoth back to life when we cannot commit to insuring the survival modern elephants in the wild? And who is going to teach a Mammoth to be a Mammoth? They aren’t really equipped to live in the same environments as today’s elephants, to who is going to teach baby Mammoth to forage and look out for itself?

As far as the pigeon goes, reading the article it sounds like the cut and paste process with the genes will yield something that will kind of, sort of, be a Passenger pigeon, maybe. And what will be the impact on extant bird species if we reintroduce an extinct species into the wild?

I’m just not certain that it’s a good idea to go around thinking we should do something just because we can. Aside from millennia of historical examples of humanity screwing the pooch, just because we could take action . . . I think back to my childhood & youthful days when I pulled some stunts, just because I could. That did not always turn out well ; -)