Amorette - Rivenes . . .
supporter
Posted by MRH (+1480) 7 years ago
helped bring sport of luge to Montana. Just wanted to tell you how much we enjoyed this article in the February 13, 2014 Miles City, Star. I had heard some about luge tracks in Montana, but this information was a nice addition. Thanks again for writing about historical events in Miles City.
supporter
Posted by Amorette F. Allison (+1910) 7 years ago
There was an AP story on the luge track at Lolo with one mention of Dave, named spelled wrong. I went to the national luge site and there was NO MENTION of any Montana connections. So I had to do it. Glad you enjoyed it.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14728) 7 years ago
Wondering if thousands of people simultaneously coming down the chute on their fancy little sleds while the sun is shining could be called a "day luge"? What do you think?
supporter
Posted by cj sampsel (+484) 7 years ago
Good one. But I may be forced to start reading the bible to see what possesses you. Don't give up the puns.
Posted by Dr Mac (+82) 7 years ago
Remember when Dave Rivenes built the luge in Miles City. Other
famous Miles Citians include the HS science teacher Mr. Hurlburt, who was an MSU student and had an actual MSU yearbook (I believe 1933) with Mortimer in all the pictures. I believe he was on that staff, as I was as a copy editor in the late 1960s. It was and remains a classic!
Why do you think, Rivenes is overlooked in the history of American luge?
It is a pure shame because of his connection to so many athletic efforts in Miles City.
supporter
Posted by cj sampsel (+484) 7 years ago
Todays Great Falls Tribune has an article about Dave's contribution
to getting the luge started in the US.
supporter
I sent the link to the Trib article to the Luge association. Thanks!
supporter
We are making progress. They posted a whole bunch of stuff on the 1964 luge team and tacked my article on the bottom. They also asked if the Lolo track still has some remains left and I am looking into that. Montana will get credit yet!
http://usaluge.org/news?id=1783
founder
supporter
Posted by H Lockie (+192) 7 years ago
Amorette, I don't see any mention of Hazel Lockie-Parker practicing for the Luge competition. She did train with Karen Roberts, and the
luge track that Bill Roberts built on his place still shows up in some places. She and her mother did go to watch the Luge at Innsbruck but she didn't make the team as I recall. You could give her a call for more info.
Posted by Erica Griffith (+31) 7 years ago
Amorette,
I also enjoyed your article. I will send a copy of the article and the link to Kathleen Roberts. She now resides in Pocatello, Idaho, and still owns a wooden sled. My mother, Karen Roberts, (Miles City) also appreciated the article. Coach Dave was an amazing man who left his mark on several generations of athletes in Miles City.
Erica Griffith

http://mcty.co/L

http://mcty.co/K

[This message has been edited by Erica Griffith (2/20/2014)]

[This message has been edited by Erica Griffith (2/20/2014)]
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11447) 7 years ago
Excellent. Since we are now in touch with the national luge folks, maybe we can get the history filled out a little.
Posted by Suella Hughes (+14) 7 years ago
that yearbook was actually done by David Rivenes, he was almost expelled for it, but the dean made notice before they had made too many copes. We have the only original copies and there is one in the library at MSU that is in a case. Legend.
As one of the former yearbook editors at MSU (in the late 1960s) I hope they do have a remaining copy. At one point it was missing.