supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14145) 6 years ago
This is an interesting video that will likely irritate some of you. It is 50 minutes long. There is a snarkyness in the presenters demeanor and some manipulation tactics he uses that are bothersome. IMO, he'd be better off if just stuck discussing his data.

One of the more interesting facts he presents is that the notion of global warming was started by Margret Thatcher, who wanted shift England away from coal because she didn't want to deal with mining unions.

I try to be open-minded about climate change. I don't necessarily believe that because the climate may be cooling that we should abandon our efforts to move away from fossil fuels or strive for a clean environment. As one who tries very hard to look at what science and data, not politics, tells us about climate I think giving everyone a fair hearing is valuable. If he is right, we may all want to move to New Mexico. Enjoy!

supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8297) 6 years ago
Look, I WISH we were in a global cooling trend, but that's NOT what the data actually shows:

The globally-averaged temperature for 2013 tied as the fourth warmest year since record keeping began in 1880. It also marked the 37th consecutive year with a global temperature above the 20th century average. The last below-average annual temperature was 1976. Including 2013, all 13 years of the 21st century (2001-2013) rank among the 15 warmest in the 134-year period of record. The three warmest years on record are 2010, 2005, and 1998.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+9686) 6 years ago
^ that
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+13753) 6 years ago
Ummmm....I don't think Margaret Thatcher invented global warming. Data did.
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1908) 6 years ago
It's GLOBAL warming. We've had a sucky winter in the U.S., especially the lower 48. I wonder how it up in Hal's territory.
Russia has been having a warm winter(a littletoo warm in Sochi right now).

I also imagine a couple decades ago, this would not have been considered too extreme a winter.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9345) 6 years ago
Bob, it’s been a warm winter here. But last winter wasn’t so warm.

So folks make what they want of it. Some folks say a warm winter means it proves global climate change is real – others say a cold winter means that it isn’t true.

Weather patterns are weather patterns, they change frequently. I think the only conclusion a person can draw from recent weather patterns is that they change more often than they did a few years back and that the changes are more extreme that they once were.

Weather is what happens in your backyard. Climate happens globally. Doesn’t seem to me that you can judge global conditions based on what you see out your back door.

That being said, I think we are in a period of climate change. Maybe it something like the Medieval Climate Optimum (AD 950 to 1250), maybe it’s something like the Little Age (AD 1350 to 1850), or maybe we are heading into a true epochal change. But the times they are a changing ; -)
banned
Posted by NDJ (+136) 6 years ago
We may still be coming (warming) out of an ice age.
admin
founder
Bob Netherton II wrote:
We've had a sucky winter in the U.S., especially the lower 48.

I dunno about the rest of the country, but "the lower 47" might be a bit more accurate in regards to temp and precip. 80+ here today... been warm and dry all winter. (Too warm and too dry.)
admin
founder
Mother Jones wrote:
California's Drought Could Be the Worst in 500 Years

Scientists can't predict how wet or dry a specific season is going to be, but they can forecast drought trends over time, and they've been warning us for decades that the droughts will become more common. In 2005, Jacob Sewall, then a scientist at the University of California-Santa Cruz, used computer modeling to predict that over the next 30 to 50 years in North America, changing current patterns caused by melting sea ice would increase average annual precipitation by 40 percent in the Northwest while decreasing it by 30 percent in the Southwest. Sewall told Mother Jones last week that sea ice has been melting faster than predicted, which could speed up the precipitation changes.

http://www.motherjones.co...california
supporter
Posted by ike eichler (+1229) 6 years ago
Check Cyclical Climate Change as well as mid Holocene Altithermal period for some of the answers. Hopefully the Altithermal will not last as long as last.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8297) 6 years ago
holy poop.