50 Years Ago The Band Begin To Play In The USA
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+2002) 7 years ago
50 Years on the Ed Sullivan Show the Beatles appeared in the USA for the first time. Watched them on parents TV. My Dad said they were too loud and needed haircuts. First Beatle song I heard was "I Want To Hold Your Hand". I like so many of them but it still remains my favorite
Where did you see them and what is your favortie Beatle song.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11447) 7 years ago
First appearance on Ed Sullivan. My dad kind of liked them. He was a hi-fi nut so he played a pretty wide variety of stuff. Fun fact. The cast of Oliver! including the late Davy Jones, appeared on the same show.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14724) 7 years ago
Playing the Beetles on the "hypha". "hi-fi" Now THERE is a late 60's term.
supporter
Posted by Don Birkholz (+1248) 7 years ago
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
supporter
Posted by Jeff Denton (+756) 7 years ago
raise your hand if you ever raced a tricycle down the street singing "she loves you yeah,yeah,yeah".
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+2002) 7 years ago
CBS Concert was great. Paul & Ringo can still rock it.
Posted by Steve Sullivan (+1302) 7 years ago
In 1964 I was living in Germany and got "She Loves You" and "I Wanna Hold Your Hand," along with The Statler Brothers "Counting Flowers On The Wall" and Roger Miller's "King OF The Road" all on 45s for my 4th birthday.

Within about 3 runs of each record on my little player I ditched The Statler Brothers and Roger Miller, and never looked back.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+16502) 7 years ago
For you, Steve:

Posted by Oddjob (+187) 7 years ago
Watched the performance on Ed Sullivan with the Fam. Folks were unimpressed. Dad was visibly disturbed by all the screaming. I was ambivalent at best.

As a musician I thought the Beatles early stuff was juvenile and simplistic compared to some of the other British Rock that was emerging. The first Beatles music that really caught my attention enough to pay money for it was the release of "Rubber Soul" in 1965. Songs like "Norwegian Wood", "Think for Yourself", "Nowhere Man" and "In My Life" showed the originality and innovation of the group and gave you the feeling that their work was going to be very important.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6170) 7 years ago
I wasn't yet two and my dad was tone-deaf and my mom grew up on jazz, choral and classical music. Rock and roll was not their thing.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8985) 7 years ago
Huh. Some olds here were old, even when they were youngs. Shocking.
supporter
Posted by 007 (+166) 7 years ago
I saw the Beatles that night in classic black & white TV. It was better than listening to the radio! Boy, I did get old on myself.
Posted by Forsyth Mike (+479) 7 years ago
I still remember it. We had spent that Sunday afternoon with some friends and were at their house for dinner. I was 7 at the time.

I didn't really see what was so great about the music and could NOT understand why the girls were so crazed. I know the prevailing mood among the parents was that their hair was shockingly long.

Boy, if only the parents could have seen what was coming in the future!

Today my favorite Beatles tunes are "Hey Jude" and "A Hard Day's Night," with many others holding honorable-mention status.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+16662) 7 years ago
Hmmm.....I would be hard pressed to pick my favorite Beatles tune, for there are so many.

Even the songs pre-February 1964 kick ass, contrary to what some posters here have opined. Listen to "I saw her standing there" and "Twist and shout" for examples.

I pretty much crank up every Beatles song when it comes up on the radio, for some strange reason, they aren't played to death on the normal "classic rock" radio stations, both on the internet and in Montana. Maybe the royalty payments to ASCAP/BMI are too high, even at this date?

A few favorites, in no particular order:

"I Feel Fine" - the first use of feedback, which would later define Ted Nugent's career
"Happiness is a warm gun" - all time hunting camp favorite
"Within You Without You" - all time smoking a fattie favorite.
"She's Leaving Home" - Paul's best ballad
"A day in the life" - Ringo's best drumming

Dang.....I could go on and on.
supporter
However, olds are still annoying when they yammer on and on about how awesome the music they used to listen to when they were still young and full of sap.

I'm sure Wendy's going to come along here at any moment and remind us all of just how great Boxcar Willie was.
Bridgier

When you join the "olds" (and it will happen), how annoying will you be when you yammer on and on about the awesome music (nobody else remembers) that you used to listen to when you were young and full of sap?

Since you are eternally hip, perhaps you can tell us "olds" which individual or group from the last 40 years will still be attracting millions to their concert tours if they survive into their 70's and 80's?

Is there anyone doing that now? I don't recall, since I am old and decidedly un-hip..

Will SiriusXM have the Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Justin Bieber and Kanye West channels in 2040?

Perhaps for the hip new "olds" like you, but I'll bet they will still be playing the Beatles, the Rolling Stones and the Grateful Dead.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+16662) 7 years ago
Lay off of Bridgier, Oddjob. He is just waiting for someone to start a thread on the New Kids on the Block, so he can pipe in.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11447) 7 years ago
Bridgier is an old compared to current music. Anyone over the age of 23 is an old.
supporter
To Bridger,

Huh? Box Car Willy? I think you have misunderstood me. If I find any photos of me in my punk days I'll post them.
Yikes, Gunnar.....

That's harsh.....
supporter
Bridgier is an old compared to current music. Anyone over the age of 23 is an old.

THIS IS A LIE! Why, I was just listening to Lorde the other day in between Macklamore tracks, and who am I kidding. I was listening to Lorde the other day, and all I could think about was how pissed Bjork must be.

I imagine that they play the Stones et. al. on classic radio, because classic radio is mostly listened to by boomers, and boomers want to remember what was playing on the radio when they lost their virginity. All that stuff will go the way of Glenn Miller or the Andrews sisters when the millennials become the 'classic' demographic.

In the meantime, let's all STFU, and listen to some Slayer:

supporter
Or, for Wendy, to apologize for that whole 'Boxcar Willie' thing...
supporter
Bridgier +1
Slayer

Same sound as 50 other bands, most of which are better.

NOFX

Country Joe and the Fish would probably still attract a bigger crowd...

If these are the legacy bands of this generation, Social Security will be unnecessary.

Nirvana Rules.
supporter
le sigh. This is why you shouldn't argue with hipsters.

[This message has been edited by Bridgier (2/17/2014)]
HaHa!

Spent too much time the Mosh Pit, have we now?
supporter
Well, I do enjoy a good pit, but perhaps that's just me. As I explained to someone else, if you're not cool with coming into contact other dude's bodily fluids, then the pit is probably not the place for you.

[This message has been edited by Bridgier (2/17/2014)]