New to the area and have some questions
Posted by MistyP3 (+17) 7 years ago
My family is moving to Mile City the end of March. I will have a 11 year old who will be finishing 6th grade and I need to know the best public elementary school to enroll her in. I also have a 12 year old who is finishing 7th grade. She is in all honers classes does anyone know if the Jr. high offers honers classes? I also have a 1 year old and I'm looking for a play group or mommies group that is local. We are moving from Utah (NO we are NOT Mormon). I'm a down to earth easy going momma. Like to be outside in the warm weather. My hubby works for Sanjel so he isn't at home much. Anyway if you have any advice or can give me some answers feel free comment I'm also on facebook Chrisand Misty Perry. Are there any facebook groups for Mile City or the surrounding areas? Maybe a moms group or buy and sell page? What is there to do in Mile City? Swimming pool? Movie theater? Water park? Hiking? Fishing? Parks? Museums?

Misty
Posted by MeganBowles (+58) 7 years ago
I cant help you with any of the mom stuff however I just moved here a year ago and have found that there is always something happening here! Be sure to "like" the Miles City Virtual Marketplace for your buy/sell question. Other than that don't be afraid to get out there! This site is also a great jumping off point!
Thanks I went and joined the market place and looks great!
supporter
Posted by Amorette F. Allison (+1917) 7 years ago
https://sites.google.com/...tyschools/

Where your child goes to elementary school depends on where you live. There is only one public middle school and one public high school. There is also a Catholic parochial school that goes through 8th grade and a Lutheran parochial school that I think goes through sixth.

We have a classic single screen movie theatre on Main Street. Couple of great museums. Our swimming pool is a swimming lake and is only open in the summer. When the weather cooperates, there a ton of things to do. When it is like this, not so much.

Our public library is also an excellent source for kids activities. http://milescitypubliclibrary.org/
Posted by Dr. C (+155) 7 years ago
I would imagine you would be accepted (oops hehehe) EVEN if you WERE Mormon..... Sheesh!

[This message has been edited by Dr. C (2/6/2014)]
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14950) 7 years ago
As lead humorist, I recommend that you check this site occasionally for the latest in cat fights, lost dogs, and feghoots.

There is a swifer group er maybe it's called MOPS (Mothers Of Pre-Schoolers) that meets for their kids to play and for mom's to connect with one another. I think it meets out at Grace Bible Church.

Lot's of groups of various causes and activities to fit just about everyones taste. Just jump in. Lot's of friendly people around. WELCOME to the community!
Dr.C

I'm sure I would have been accepted even if I was a Mormon but I am not and I like to save myself the hassle of being asked a zillion times if I am because I'm from UT. It is just a common question and always comes up when people find out where I'm from so I was just putting that out there. I have nothing against people of the LDS faith and have a bunch of great friends and family who are and love them very much. And that is that! Sorry if it offended you. Not my intention.
Amorette,
Thank you for all the great information and the links. I just want to know what public elementary school is the best. I would rather drive my 6th grader to a great school then have her walk to a sub par school. I do realize that where they are supposed to go to school depends on where we live. But from what I have seen and heard there are some elementary schools that are better than others. Just want the best for my kiddo. I'm sure you understand that. Again thanks you have helped a ton!
Richard
Thank I will see if I can find the MOP group. (love the swifer referance LOL)
I will check here often to see what is up and I am one who just jumps in. Thanks for the welcome!!
Posted by j2r (+140) 7 years ago
Hi Misty!! Just thought I would pass on some links to some pages that might interest you
Miles City MOPS - https://www.facebook.com/MilesCityMOPS

Also the 2 public schools for 6th grade are Lincoln School and Garfield School. https://sites.google.com/...tyschools/

Waterworks Gallery (art center) - http://ccac.milescity.org/
Library - http://milescitypubliclibrary.org/
Dance Studio - https://www.facebook.com/...y?filter=3
Hockey/Ice Skating - http://www.milescitygenerals.com/
Gymnastics - https://www.facebook.com/...Gymnastics

Welcome!
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 7 years ago
I don't think you have options to move your child to an alternate school unless you go parochial. The school borders depend on where you live. This is a small town. I don't think any one school is that much better than another. Some of the elementary schools share a principal, so that makes them very much like each other. And, as I said, one middle and one high school.

I admit. I don't have kids in school but I was over at Highland Park the other day reading to kindergarteners.
Posted by John Bowman (+21) 7 years ago
awesome post for us newcomers.. keep the ideas coming. My family is moving to Miles City in July, once schools let out in Washington State. I am retired military and originally from Hawaii, but have lived in colder climates - Maine/ New Hampshire.

I have a 15 year old that plans on playing sports (football/ basketball) for the high school and a eleven year old that wants to learn how to ride a horse and play the piano- she is self taught and can read music. We also have a little one (4 month old) so my wife would definitely like to hear about activities for the baby.

How are the farmers markets?
founder
supporter
You can get some great veg at the Farmer's Market but not until summer. Our tomatoes and sweet corn are unequaled.
I know there are piano teachers and I know there are folks who teach riding so welcome! Definitely sports at our high school. Our winters are COLD, our summers are HOT and our folks are friendly.

[This message has been edited by Amorette Allison (2/6/2014)]
Thank you for all the great links My kids are getting excited. Amorette
I guess I will just call the school district office and see which one she will be going to then. It's only for a couple month then off to Jr. high. She will be fine no matter where they put her.

I'm so glad I found this site and asked these questions. Keep the ideas coming!!
Posted by RA (+648) 7 years ago
You MAY want to look at the Kinsey Elementary School - Kinsey offers a "Town Bus" that picks up a number of Miles City students at the bus stop on North 7th Street and buses them to the school.

The size of each class is small - the teacher/student ratio is often more desirable. There are no specific honors classes offered; however, each teacher uses differentiated classroom techniques.

Many of the Kinsey families enjoy and appreciate the feeling of community and 'family' at the school.

Contact Doug Ellingson, County School Superintendent, for more information and to schedule a tour of the school.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9194) 7 years ago
And of course, all (and I mean ALL) of your healthcare needs can be met by Miles City's favorite Nurse Practitioner, David Smith.

You'll be in good (albeit, exceptionally large) hands.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17321) 7 years ago
I second Bridgier's recommendation. You'll not find a sharper medical mind this side of the Mayo clinic.
supporter
Posted by Amorette F. Allison (+1917) 7 years ago
Rule #1 on Milescity.com

IGNORE Bridgier and Gunnar unless you are a) in on the joke or b) really desperate for conversation.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9194) 7 years ago
Well, I actually AM serious in this recommendation -
Posted by boxdmc (+89) 7 years ago
I don't think you are going to find a bad public school in Miles City. Amorette is right on not being able to choose what in town elementary your child goes to. It depends on space and your residence location. My kids both went to Garfield Elementary and it is know to be the "worst" school in the district and my kids had some great teachers and got a great education. The middle school and high school have great education opportunities as well. There are so many activities opportunities in high school for your children to take advantage of you may get sick of going to events! Miles City schools produce some great students that have gone far and wide with their start here.

Kinsey School is a good "out of district" option if you think it necessary. Their class size is growing I believe.

#1 advice- If you don't like something that is going on with your child, go talk to the teacher! Seeing someone face to face is way better than an email, phone call or calling the principal. Most times they can and will help.

Good luck. I think you'll be very satisfied here.

[This message has been edited by boxdmc (2/8/2014)]
supporter
Posted by Ken Minow (+375) 7 years ago
Agree with the good recommendations concerning Dave Smith - He's the Man !!
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17321) 7 years ago
Thank you, Amorette, the undisputed Queen of shoving her foot in her mouth, for that sage advice.
Thanks for the advice but I think we will be going to Lincoln Elementary that is the school that we have closest to us. It will only be for the last term of the year then both my big girls will be in middle school.

I'm not so sure about nurse practitioners haven't had good experiences with them. I will have to go and meet him and see how I feel.

Are there any good dentists and does anyone know if there is an orthodontist that does Damon braces any closer than Billings? I have been trying to get a hold of the ortho in Billings that does them but they haven't contacted me back so I'm getting kind of frustrated with them. Don't really want to drive to Wyoming or one of the Dakotas for an Ortho appointment.

We are getting excited to come up there.

Where would I find info on things like Easter egg hunts and 4th of July activities in Miles City?
supporter
Posted by Don Birkholz (+1293) 7 years ago
I go to McFarland Dentistry and I am well satisfied with their work and prices. I think the other dentists are also top notch. (may have to get an appointment far ahead of time for any dentist)
founder
supporter
I know a Billings dentist comes down to Miles City regularly who does braces, although I don't know what kind, but you still have to make two to three trips minimum to his office in Billings along the way.
I go to McFarland, too, but I have tough teeth, so can't really recommend anyone. I get them cleaned every few years and that's that.
Posted by Suella Hughes (+9) 7 years ago
I grew up in miles city and lived in SLC went to Brighton high school .. Would love to visit more I moved back .. Feel free to contact me Suella hughes on Facebook hope to hear from you !
Posted by Winslow (+388) 7 years ago
I want to point out that Miles City has a very nice semi-private 9 hole golf course with activities for the entire family. Annual membership is very reasonable and so are green fees if you don't want to join. It's a great way to meet people from every sector.
Suella sent you a friend request on FaceBook.
Posted by mom (+71) 7 years ago
Ive been a mother in this area for a LONGGGG time, and have taught and subbed in the area for a long time as well. I am currently subbing again, and have been all over the district this year. Washington Middle school is making a lot of progress, and I like it a lot. The High school is excellent, and I have not heard or seen negatives about any of the satellite schools. I just spent the day at Lincoln. The last two in my nest currently go to Sacred Heart, which in my opinion, (same opinion for the past thirty years) is top notch. It provides an excellent academic education all the way through, as well as making our children into top notch human beings and citizens of the world.
After spending the past 12 years raising the poster children for ADHD, I have nothing but praise for our pediatric medical community. Currently two orthodontists visit Miles City. Dr. Novaks out of Billings, and Dr. Nichols out of Bozeman.
In addition to the sports and outdoor life and training for children...fishing, shooting, swimming, hockey,horse back lessons...., there are strong scouting and 4-H programs. The art center provides art workshops all winter and schedules them almost every weekend in the summer. There are several excellent music teachers in the area, I am most closely acquainted with one, but would not like to throw her name out there without her permission. She includes voice and piano lessons that are awesome, along with having the patience of Job. Barn Players theater group is starting auditions for the musical Wizard of Oz, and usually puts on at lest one production per year that includes children. Yes, I have included a lot of information, but I have many years of experience in this community and involvement with children. If I can help, e-mail me.