Tea Baggers on the Move!!
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1909) 6 years ago
Jason Priest, one of Montana's chief haters of the ACA, has been arrested. It is interesting to note that Jason made a lot of his money brokering debt to health care providers for his own profit. No wonder he hates Obamacare.

http://billingsgazette.co...a08d6.html
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+9850) 6 years ago
This fellow is truly some major scum. Because of 'nature of his offense,' he couldn't even make bail but had to sit overnight until he saw a judge.
supporter
Posted by cj sampsel (+483) 6 years ago
Bail was only $335.00
supporter
Posted by Amorette F. Allison (+1909) 6 years ago
He is accused of knocking the wife around, then punching the cop who responded. He's chairman of the Public Heath, Welfare and Safety Committee. Oh, the irony.
Posted by Tongue River Millworks & Meado (+242) 6 years ago
How does this apply to Tea party?
Posted by Oddjob (+181) 6 years ago
For the same reason the Gazette needed to identify him as a Republican Senator in the headline. Apparently people are criminal or violent only because of their associations. That's why Democrat politicians don't beat their wives, take "dark money" or do drunk boating.
supporter
How do you know the headline wouldn't have noted his political party if he had been a Democrat? We would have to wait for a Democratic state senator from Billings to beat his wife to be sure. Since there are no Democratic state senators from Billings, it might be a long wait.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8297) 6 years ago
Nor do I remember any Democrats involved in any 'drunk boating' recently.

Generally, when someone makes a counter-claim, the onus of providing countervailing examples falls to the person making the claim. Poutrage and butthurt doesn't count.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6169) 6 years ago
The Gazette identified him as a Republican senator because he's a public figure. As one he is subject to closer scrutiny in the public arena than Joe Schmoe down the street.
"How do you know the headline wouldn't have noted his political party if he had been a Democrat?"

"Montana State Senator......" would have adequately served the purpose of identifying a public figure. They chose to smear his associations in the headline and the article. I don't think the the rags on either side should do that. It's p*** - poor journalism because it serves no purpose, other than to highlight an implication. It's bias and if you don't see that, Amorette, you shouldn't be working where you do. If you are reporting politics, designate the Party. If you are reporting an alleged crime, why is the Party association relevant?

It's probably relevant to you, because it fits your unwarranted expectations.
supporter
IS he a republican? WAS he arrested for domestic assault?

IS he a cryptofascist scumbag who made his money profiting off of the misery and misfortune of others? But I repeat myself...

[This message has been edited by Bridgier (2/10/2014)]
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14183) 6 years ago
Oddjob said:
If you are reporting an alleged crime, why is the Party association relevant?

IMO, journalism is about telling the whole story. If you identify him as just a state senator, his "accomplishments" printed later don't make much contextual sense:

Priest was one of the leaders of a conservative faction in the Senate last year that split with more moderate Republican legislators. The split led to infighting that came to a head on the Senate floor in the session’s final day as Priest and Senate Majority Leader Art Wittich of Bozeman threatened to kill a budget deal unless they received concessions from Democratic Gov. Steve Bullock.

Read more: http://billingsgazette.co...z2swlSLdTT

It doesn't make any sense to discuss his split with other republicans if you haven't identified his party in the first place.

Is his party affiliation germane to his arrest? Fair question. Seeing as he belongs to the party that likes to shove their concept of "family values" in our face at every opportunity, and his arrest is related to not practicing what he preaches, I would say "Yes", his party affiliation IS important. Hypocrisy in our political system should be exposed.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr. (2/10/2014)]
supporter
He is also on the Public Health, Safety and Welfare Committee, which I find delightfully ironic!
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1909) 6 years ago
Here is the article that supplied my information.

http://mtcowgirl.com/2014...-arrested/

I admit the Montana Cowgirl Blog is decidedly leftist, but they tend to supply links for their claims. And besides that, the articles are often hilarious and some of Montana's nuttier 'baggers seem to pay attention to it.

That this right wing nut job shoved his wife enough to result in a call to the police is one thing, but the fact that he's on the Public Health, Safety and Welfare Committee while making money from medical debt(are you smart enough to catch the obvious conflict of interest, oddjob?)is another. How the hell did he get himself on this procreateing committee?
supporter
Posted by cj sampsel (+483) 6 years ago
You're right Oddjob. Why should a persons political affiliation
matter? Maybe more media should be like Fox News and not use the news for political purposes. Oh, wait. They are being like Fox News.
supporter
The headline just said 'state senator' when it described the fellow who threw his four-year-old to the ground. Lovely fellow.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+13760) 6 years ago
That mtcowgirl blog is a good read. I like the comments there. There is one Republican commenter there, Craig Moore, who I swear was separated at birth from Rick Kuchynka. He makes the exact sort of "what about your side" and strawman arguments that Rick used to make here.
supporter
Thank goodness Oddjob's here to carry on that proud tradition.
Ah, well...Somebody had to pick up the baton.

If for no other reason, than to be a focal point, which allows for a continuing demonstration of what "Progressives" do best. That is, to engage in hateful rhetoric and attack the messenger. (See thread subject line)

If you don't have a Rick or an Oddjob, to hammer on, then out of boredom, you start to attack each other. This is understandable, but unbecoming, although there is a somewhat humorous and entertaining component in that.

I have every confidence that any necessary proof for my observation not already in evidence, will be seen immediately following this post.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14183) 6 years ago
Happy Valentines (or singles awareness) Day, Oddjob from me and my friends.

P.S. You're wrong.
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+2941) 6 years ago
I think there is a very positive thing going on with the people of Montana. So many are recognizing the AFP (Americans for the Prosperity of the KOCH Brothers..not you and I) are the owners of the anti Senator Walsh Ads. Last election it was their newspapers with "filth" about Governor Bullock and Senator Tester and, now of course...they are desperately attacking Senator Walsh. Montanans are also wiser about who is affiliated with ALEC and the ATR, thus beholden to them with no interest in Montana at all. The objective, of course, is to serve the KOCH masters. Knowing who your candidate is beholden to is important IMO.

Why not take time and read Governor Hugo Aronson's "State of the State" message in his book, "The Galloping Swede"..or, read what Governor Babcock advocated as written in his book. Two Republican Governors that I thought really cared about our state and the people who live here. Miles City, at that time, also had very excellent representation from a local Senator who was able to vote his beliefs...and, not those of the likes of Grover Norquist. If all goes well...maybe Montana can elect people who represent Montana and are not "beholden"!!!!