How to-internet phone question
banned
Posted by NDJ (+141) 6 years ago
It may have been posted here before,and I am asking for a friend who got sick,after he caught on fire.He is Ok but his lungs are shot and he cannot really get around and has no money but he has internet.I have a camera and a microphone to send him.How does he get a free phone number where he can call people and people can call him.I think google bought skype or something but that is all I know.Also,there used to be a skype phone that was like a cell phone.Anywhere there was wireless you could use it.Pay a couple bucks a month and you could have internet phone.I would appreciate any info that anyone has.Thanks.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14301) 6 years ago
Skype was bought by Microsoft. You can sign up and get a Skype phone number (get it from skype website) so people without skype can call your number, and it will ring on your computer. It work pretty well, except for calls placed to/from phones that are on older analog systems like Range Telephone. I also had some trouble using it on Mid-Rivers. You can purchase time to call other landline and cell phones from your computer. Go to Skype.com and you can read all about it.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr. (2/1/2014)]
Posted by Tim Wagoner (+756) 6 years ago
Download Google Chrome, Google Voice plugin, and you can get a free google local number. Works with most phones. Midrivers is bad about it not working with some of the local numbers, but cell phones seem to work great. I have been using it for years.
Posted by Lorin Dixson (+593) 6 years ago
It is not free, but I have had a magic Jack phone for about four or five years, no difference from a landline just hook any phone to the computer. I think I pay $59.00 every five years for unlimited local and long distance.
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+9855) 6 years ago
magicJack sucks and is run by a shady company.

NetTALK Duo II is the best low cost Internet landline phone service. $34.95 includes first 3 months of service. Flat $29.95 a year after. Doesn't require a computer. You can also get it at Walmart, Amazon, etc.

http://www.nettalk.com/pr...lk-duo-ii/

If you want to spend more, then Ooma:

http://www.ooma.com/

If you want to use a computer or also want texting, video phone, etc. - then Skype is the way to go. It works with practically everything. You have to pay a fee to use it. $2.99 a month or something. There are also Skype landline-style phones you can buy that don't require a computer.

http://www.skype.com/
banned
Posted by NDJ (+141) 6 years ago
Thanks Guys.I used to have skype which was a flat $3 for US and Canada per month.Canada did not allow it from the Canadian end but this guy is not in Canada.I think I have a skype box still if I can find it,and I can subscribe the guy for a year at once hopefully.I also wanted to know about the alternatives and maybe both are in order.This guy used to work 10 hours a day before things fell to sh!t so I was hoping he could sell stuff over the phone or something.He is not on SSI presently and I do not know if he would even ever apply while he is breathing on his own.He is good with tools and a phone can be a powerful tool.I will do whatever I decide to do here with this info and get him set up with a phone or a double phone and tell him to get his lazy @ss to work.I mean really,50 years old and living with your mommy???What`s next,she going to have to put you in your wheelchair every morning??Geeez.