founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+2052) 7 years ago
Pete Seeger has died at age 94. Protest singer and activist.
supporter
Posted by Amorette F. Allison (+1906) 7 years ago
I was listening to this on NPR this morning and my first thought was, good lord, was he still alive?!!? Obviously, folk singers beat rock singers when it comes to longevity.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17492) 7 years ago
Pete was one of the great ones. And, he played the banjo!
supporter
He considered his instruction manual on how to play the 5 string banjo his greatest accomplishment.
supporter
Take that Tucker!
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17179) 7 years ago
Listen to the audience's enthusiasm at about 2:23 when he says,

"I've got a verse you never heard before..."

Posted by Jim Birkholz (+188) 7 years ago
Just 3 years ago, with 2 canes, 92 year old Seeger marched with Occupy protesters 30 blocks from Symphony Space to Columbus Circle. Arlo Guthrie and others of his circle were in attendance. It must have been like old times for him, bittersweet that we have to fight this fight yet again, but that people still had the grit to do it.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3685) 7 years ago
RIP. His voice was a weapon against oppression. Changing a broken system with a smile and a song, healing a terminal river with persistence and the truth was his style. Long may his song be heard. His gentle voice even took the sting out of my least favorite instrument, the fricking banjo. He is taking his last "ride in the car, car."

May Pete Seeger rest in PEACE. And may we all continue his work for social justice.
supporter
Amen.

And I ain't even a hippie!
Posted by Elizabeth Emilsson (+787) 7 years ago
Amen and Amen again.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3685) 7 years ago
I can't help but be envious of a life so fully lived, with a purpose.
A life filled with music, passion and inspiration with no regard for the Kardashians or Biebers of the world.

It sure makes me feel like a slug.
supporter
When you compare the radical folk singers with modern 'musicians,' it makes me weep for the current generation.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6166) 7 years ago
+1 Tucker.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17179) 7 years ago
-1 Tucker for denigrating slugs. The Slug Anti-Defamation League will be in contact with you soon.

supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14970) 7 years ago
Yup... Tucker will be SADL sore when they get done riding and slug-ing it out with him.