Do you think this would work?
supporter
Posted by cubby (+2488) 6 years ago
If the media quit showing so much of the school violence on TV like after the shootings and all, do you think that some of the kids would rethink it before they commit such a crime? I mean when I was growing up we never heard of such things happening around the states. But now it just seems like the more the media shows it the more it seems to happen. Not looking to start a war here but in my eyes if some of these kids never knew of school shootings they may just commit suicide instead of taking others down with them.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8297) 6 years ago
Procreate guns. Let's start there.
Posted by Winslow (+380) 6 years ago
Revamp the mental health system in this country.....its pitiful!
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9345) 6 years ago
That’s a good question.

I remember in the 1980s when I still watched the television the extensive level of coverage given to “gang” violence / drive-by shootings & etc. After a number of years, incidents of that kind ceased to be hot topics, at least in terms of national news. But, that kind of violence is still ongoing – I just read in the LA Times about a neighborhood in which there were over 40 “gang related” homicides last year.

So I don’t know if scaling back coverage makes a difference. I do think the news media’s coverage of topics such as this flawed – I think it probably tends to “glamorize” mass-type shootings in the minds of some ill individuals. But since the news media is in it for the dollars, I don’t see the flaws being addressed anytime soon.

And, I agree with Wendy.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14145) 6 years ago
Not looking to start a war here but in my eyes if some of these kids never knew of school shootings they may just commit suicide instead of taking others down with them.

Why on earth should we settle for the lesser of two evils, which is still evil? How about we be honest with our kids about mental health and human sexuality. Let's quit shaming them in all the ways that this culture shames people. Let's deal with the real human issues that lead people to consider suicide or worse. Let's use our economic resources to deal with our own problems, rather than building expensive no-see-um airplanes and "smart-bombs" to kill brown people in foreign deserts.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr. (1/27/2014)]
banned
Posted by NDJ (+136) 6 years ago
You have a good point that I believe many have thought about Cubby.I saw a video or maybe many similar in context,where a funeral director talked about the gang violence and probably other events that brought notoriety to young people and then he buried them.The funeral director said that these kids go see someone have a huge funeral and then they want one also.I think the same train of thought goes with getting front page news.In North Korea if a school shooting happened the person who committed the crime would probably have his entire family buried alive.That is quite an antithesis to being glorified in the news and having a huge funeral.In China in orphanages,children do not cry when injured or bullied because they know that there is not going to be anyone to come to their aid.There are undercover videos of this and it makes a person think.Richard mentions the lesser of two evils.To discuss a taboo subject which should not be taboo to discuss especially in this community,would it not be better if someone commits suicide and dies alone than taking others unwillingly along with them?There is a reasoning that if someone wants to take their life,who has the right to tell them no?If they are sane,that may be their right.What is not their right is to murder people before killing themself or themselves.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14145) 6 years ago
Richard mentions the lesser of two evils.To discuss a taboo subject which should not be taboo to discuss especially in this community,would it not be better if someone commits suicide and dies alone than taking others unwillingly along with them?There is a reasoning that if someone wants to take their life,who has the right to tell them no?If they are sane,that may be their right.What is not their right is to murder people before killing themself or themselves.

No young person, (the original context here) should be in such a state of mental health that they want to take their life or their life plus other innocent bystanders. We ought to care enough about others that those who would potential consider such an option don't fall prey to faulty reasoning. So NO, it's not better and is preventable with proper mental health.
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1908) 6 years ago
supporter
Posted by cubby (+2488) 6 years ago
How can we tell when a young person is condemned to mental health? Some of the recent ones have been no links to that behavior.
banned
Posted by NDJ (+136) 6 years ago
Define "faulty reasoning" and by whose definition.Shouldn`t be in a state of mind?Well it happens and it is not going to stop anytime soon from what I see.I see your point Richard.But I do not think this is preventable to the absolute.Talk to anyone in mental health and they will tell you there is a revolving door to people with mental health problems.I do not want to add to the war that Cubby does not want to start but do you remember when the mentally ill were locked up and not let out?It was not that long ago.They don`t talk about that in schoolbooks.Yes in the US.It is feaseable that some person could build a program and that person could use that program to kill many people.We worship moviestars and professional atheletes ect.They are all over the news media.So if someone wants to be famous,be a mass murderer and the news media will make sure you are remembered in history just like your Idol Joe 72 touchdowns in one game,Grammy winner Fox-barks,and movie star Harrieta Thames for her performance in Gone to the Mars Colony.There isn`t going to be an easy solution if there is one at all.
Posted by Cathy Byron (+11) 6 years ago
A 90+ year-old retired social worker, Army Captain nurse, and author who lives in Folsom, CA writes some powerful thoughts about today's youth and the killings. She received a letter from one of her "rescued children" years after the painful separation from their dysfunctional family and dangerous environment. The child, writing as an adult, said, "Thank you, Kiyo, for loving me." In a recently published anthology titled GOLDEN PROSE AND POETRY, Kiyo minces no words. Paraphrased, she said: No child should to have thank anyone for loving them. That is what this country must learn to do - love our children - if we are to stop the senseless killings. I believe she says it well. It takes a village ...

Instead of becoming a healer of mankind and a lover of people, Kiyo had every reason to become a bitter, angry woman. She was separated from her peers when forced to an internment camp in Arizona because her family was Japanese. Her memoir, "Kiyo's Story" is compelling.

[This message has been edited by Cathy Byron (1/28/2014)]
Posted by Elizabeth Emilsson (+789) 6 years ago
Thank you, Cathy.
As parents, teachers and peers, we need to pull our heads out of our navels and start listening and watching for flags. So many young persons feel alienated and relate only to their cell phones . The young man at Arapaho high school sent death threats which were ignored. Socio -path and psycho paths have always walked unnoticed throughout the ages. But with greater populations it is likely that the percentages of them will increase. We need to be more vigilant and get to know the people around us better and be a help and not part of the problem.