Preemption vs homestead claims
Posted by Jim Birkholz (+186) 7 years ago
Anyone have a source for "Preemption vs homestead claims For Dummies"?

I know that preemption meant you got a good price and favored treatment, while homesteading was almost free. What other differences?

I suspect there were small differences in which public owned lands were eligible and preemption claims had 10% go to the state, 90% to the feds.
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+585) 7 years ago
http://nebraskahistory.or...ndlaw7.htm

This Nebraska site outlines the different types of land claims fairly well, including the pre emptive claims & the different homestead act claims.
It does not go into the specifics of bounty claims like war bounty claims but does explain soldiers claims as they related to homestead claims. Soldiers were able to subtract their service time from the residency time requirements of a homestead claim.
Posted by Jim Birkholz (+186) 7 years ago
Thanks Cindy, that was one of the better ones.
founder
supporter
Posted by Jack McRae (+360) 7 years ago
Thanks for the site, Cindy. I have thought about developing a talk on homesteading in Montana with emphasis on the laws and rules involved. If it is not a very long talk I will make it a Power Point presentation, which will automatically make it four times as long.

That is number 347 on the list of talks I'm going to do someday.
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+585) 7 years ago
That would be great, Jack. For you, I'd even make an exception & attend the dreaded Death by PowerPoint presentation...You could always throw in the steps of the naturalization process; since US citizenship or having first papers of intention filed was necessary to file both pre emptive & homestead act land claims.