"OMAHA" "OMAHA"
supporter
Posted by Don Birkholz (+1139) 6 years ago
Anyone listening to a Denver Broncos' football game can't help but notice Peyton Manning's yelling the word "Omaha" prior to snapping the football in the game against San Diego last Sunday. There are two reasons suggested for Peyton's use of "Omaha". The first is that it is a secret code for an offensive play. The other suggestion (which was given by a sportscaster on KOA radio last night), is that Peyton is saying "I am done with my antics (play calling), now let's snap the ball."

One wonders why Peyton's voice seems so loud and clear. CBS was making use of a parabolic microphone to catch his voice (those devices that look like a clear satellite dish that you see along the sidelines, pointed towards the line of scrimmage.)

Playing in Denver, Peyton's voice is easily heard by the offensive lineman since the crowd knows to be silent. Playing in the Super Bowl, half the crowd may not want to be silent and the Denver linemen may have more of a problem hearing his signals.

I believe it is illegal for the defense to yell out "OMAHA" to try and confuse the offense, but I wonder if an opposing crowd section might want to pick up on this and yell "Omaha" while Peyton is calling out signals to try and confuse his signal calling.

I was amused at my first MSU football game, and upon a Bobcat fumble the crowd would all yell out a big loud "AW SHUCKS" (I cleaned it up)

Another note: I think there is a Dean Fletcher playing linebacker for the New England Patriots who played for MSU.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+13753) 6 years ago
Although Denver beat my Iggles this year, surely one of the highlights of the past season was when Peyton would start barking "Omaha! Omaha!", the Philadelphia linebackers responded with "Papa John's! Papa John's!"
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14145) 6 years ago

http://espn.go.com/nfl/pl...nap-shouts

GO BRONCOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3105) 6 years ago
Parabolic microphone, man, that is high tech. I fire the cannon (actually mountain howitzer) at the "Colorado Rapids" games. I wondered about that clear satellite looking thing on the sideline.

I guess there is more money in American football. That explains the parabolic microphone. The rapids only have the single bolic microphone. Sometimes the other team will bring one. Though, that seems to me, to be two single bolics as opposed to a parabolic.

I taught with a guy once that was rumored to have three bolics. It never occurred to me to say he was triboliced.
supporter
https://en.wikipedia.org/...microphone

( Parabolic Microphone )
supporter
Posted by MRH (+1424) 6 years ago
Do you really think that Tucker is being serious?
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+13753) 6 years ago
supporter
Peyton Manning, greatest QB ever (or at least since Randall Cuttingham and Ron Jaworski) said:

just as Manning's "Hurry, hurry" call has become popular over the past two seasons in Denver, now "Omaha" seems to be sweeping the nation.

So it's no surprise that Manning was asked about what the call means on Wednesday.
"Was that like a fan-written-in question?" he joked.
"I’ve had a lot people ask what Omaha means," he continued with a smile. "Omaha is a run play, but it could be a pass play or a play-action pass depending on a couple things — the wind, which way we’re going, the quarter and the jerseys that we’re wearing. It varies really play to play. There’s your answer to that one.”
That settles that.

http://mcty.co/E

[color=FF8000][b] GO BRONCOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
supporter
Let's see, If Denver starts out the game with the wind, going east, with their home-town jerseys and Peyton says "Omaha" and it is a running play, and he yells "Omaha" on the next play, that means it will again be a running play?????????????? (you've got the same conditions). Then he says it changes from play to play (he's got the same conditions). Does he go to the huddle and say, on this next play. based on the wind, which way we are going, and our home-town jerseys, when I yell "Omaha", it is a pass play?

I heard his explanation on TV and it was interrupted with laughter, which may mean he was joking. Let's have some examples, Peyton.

I suppose, many years ago, when football began, the whole world was curious as to what the quarterback meant when he said "hut". And George Blanda said "It could be a run or pass, depending on the wind, quarter, and which jerseys we are wearing."
supporter
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1908) 6 years ago
Has anyone else ever noticed Tom Brady sounds a little like Chris Griffin during interviews?

Is anyone worried the Bronco's crowd may be just a little too mellow for Sunday's game?