Colorado marijuana
supporter
Posted by Don Birkholz (+1139) 6 years ago
Don't know if making it legal is good or bad, I do have these observations: I am sure that all those people coming from out of state to buy marijuana in Colorado are going to use it up before they go back home, where it is illegal.

With the state taxing it and making probably millions of dollars in revenue, that in itself is a great incentive for the law.

With the US justice department indicating they are going to look the other way, they might as well make it legal. Can you imagine what would happen if WalMart put a sign on its door "Shoplifters will not be prosecuted?"
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+1833) 6 years ago
I'd rather see "Marijuana Sold Here" instead at Walmart.
banned
Posted by NDJ (+136) 6 years ago
It is an all cash business in Colorado.Just think about that for a second.Isn`t Vegas based on cash?Who do you think will be involved.The DOJ just looks the other way.
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hannah Nash (+2499) 6 years ago
Probably making millions-- they have already generated over $5 million.

Additionally, this brings up the ineffectiveness and waste of the supposed "war on drugs" in this country. Take a look at the following video: http://www.upworthy.com/e...ce-captain.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6169) 6 years ago
I don't know about NDJ's comment but the cash business aspect of this industry is going to be a definite problem. The banks are not eager to handle money that comes from a federally banned activity. So how does the business owner pay his employees or his quarterly tax payments? Cash in a suitcase is a risky method.
supporter
Posted by Ingird Emilsson (+201) 6 years ago
Seems you can use credit cards after all
http://www.denverpost.com...elax-rules
banned
It has been done that way for a looooong time Wendy.Think about it.You sell a kid`s bike that they have outgrown to your neighbor for $20.The cash changes hands just on a smaller scale.
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+2941) 6 years ago
Maybe the monetary aspect will turn into an incentive for the Government to turn it into an industry in every state and produce it like Cigs and Chew..etc. A nice tax affixed to it...and, who knows how it could all turn out? I do think that this is an "eventuality"!!! Colorado will get the kinks out. I really like what the Medical "stuff" does for kids, etal with epilepsy. Just sayin'!!!
banned
Then why is it such a crime to sell drugs illegal or otherwise to children,especially in or near a schoolyard.Maybe kids should be able to vote to decide if they can buy illegal drugs in their schoolyard?
Posted by Elizabeth Emilsson (+789) 6 years ago
Selling tobacco and alcohol to children is illegal. The law doesn't allow drug or substances (legal or illegal) in drug free zones. The law requires that purchasing can be made only by persons who have reached their majorities. It is no more immoral than drinking a coke or a cup of coffee. Many of the people who lined up to buy marijuana were seniors who had never tried it while it was illegal. A.S.A.P. Astute Seniors Advocate Pot. Many of the new retail stores are owned by Mom and Pop businesses. The Denver Post had recipes in their food section. Denver has a very violent element here. I'm hoping the legalization will slow down the turf wars
banned
"It is no more immoral than drinking a coke or-" Define "It".you have a light tone arm.Take note of another post of mine where someone missed the first word "If".
Maybe you have never seen someone smoke medical marijuana and almost immediately be so phucked up they don`t know where their car is and you have to point out that they are leaning against it.How are you on heroin and kids?No worse than drinking a coke on that one too?Send kids to school with a mary jane brownie and a coke for lunch?Bang some H during noon hour?I mean Dude,my mom PACKED my lunch.Tell me when it starts getting to your definition of immoral.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6169) 6 years ago
Please don't feed the troll.
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+2941) 6 years ago
My understanding, as per the documentary concerning Medical MJ, is that it is refined and does not contain whatever it is that causes one to get high. A little girl who had around 100 seizures a day..ended up with one per week...she actually had a life following the discovery. She was small and able to get her dosage in food. I believe it was a "60 Minutes" segment so maybe others saw it as well. CO has a group of brothers who have a very progressive operation.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14145) 6 years ago
Sorry Wendy.

"It is no more immoral than drinking a coke or-" Define "It".you have a light tone arm.Take note of another post of mine where someone missed the first word "If".

I didn't miss your precious "IF". It's more a case of you're carry'n on about the "B" side of the record while the "A" side is playing. Nobody cares about the "B" side. The needle in your "tone arm" is dull and it makes you sound like Charlie Brown's teacher.

~~~~

Your abolitionist and abstinence worldview is a huge underlying problem in this country. Marijuana should be legalized, controlled, and taxed just like alcohol.

Marijuana is NOT a "gateway drug". Correlation doesn't equal causation. Hell’s Angels motorcycle gang members are probably 104 times more likely to have ridden a bicycle as a kid than those who don’t become Hell’s Angels, but that doesn’t mean that riding a two-wheeler is a “gateway” to joining a motorcycle gang.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr. (1/13/2014)]
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+13753) 6 years ago
Did anyone else notice that while the Seattle fans were loud and rambunctious, Mile High was strangely quiet yesterday? Every time the camera panned to the seats, the fans looked like they were devouring nachos and sucking down Mountain Dew.
Posted by tom regan (+986) 6 years ago
THC is not the only cannabinoid contained in marijuana. I'm surprised the pharmaceutical industrial complex isn't screaming to have this plant decriminalized. The medical potential is huge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w...noidslized
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14145) 6 years ago
Gunnar said:

Did anyone else notice that while the Seattle fans were loud and rambunctious, Mile High was strangely quiet yesterday? Every time the camera panned to the seats, the fans looked like they were devouring nachos and sucking down Mountain Dew.

In your dreams, sir, only in your "loser alley" dreams. Nice try.
Posted by tom regan (+986) 6 years ago
The Colorado Dept of Revenue is in charge of the regulation of the marijuana industry. The mantra they have been using is, "from seed to sale". If there is any evidence that that drug cartels are interfering with this industry, I'm sure the feds would swoop in and shut the whole thing down. And each county can vote to prohibit the sale of recreational marijuana. This really isn't a huge free for all where there are pot stands on every street corner selling to minors.
I'm optimistic about the tax revenue. Should really help public school funding.

This is a short video with lots of good information.

http://www.denverpost.com...-seed-sale
Bravo, Tom. You covered the points I should have made. In stead, I " fed the troll".
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1908) 6 years ago
Is it me, or do Tom and Mrs. Emilsson seem a little forgetful?
I'm forgetful. I keep forgetting where that shop is in North Glen. And I haven't even tried it yet.
Posted by Wayne White (+263) 6 years ago
Yeah man, everyone at the Bronco game was stoned, right, ----by the way, you going to eat the rest of that hot dog.