Cool county map from 1884
Posted by Jim Birkholz (+193) 8 years ago
If you haven't seen this one yet, check it out. Blow it up in your browser (CTRL+) if you need to see all the detail. This covers most of the area that would be referenced in 1880s materials.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11978) 8 years ago
The Gaw map. One of my favorites. Note the proposed Miles City Deadwood rail line. ETA: When Jim posts the link, that is. I commented before I realized the link wasn't here. I used to have that map in my office and practically memorized it.

[This message has been edited by Amorette Allison (1/3/2014)]
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17519) 8 years ago
Must be this one from Jim's wiki:

You read my mind, Amorette, and thanks, David! That's the one that I forgot to post. For true die hards, here's the source that I obtained it from:
http://cdm15018.contentdm...ll5/id/639
Yeah, that proposed RR line really dominates the graphical info. Amorette, I know you probably have the best available reference materials on the businesses that existed on Main and (what was then) Park, but can you (or anyone else) point me to anything that I can access?
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+15082) 8 years ago
What a COOL COOL map. Raises LOADS of questions.

What is the history of the 10 and 40 mile indemnity limits?

Does any part of the Custer trail between Ft. Custer (Hardin) and Ft Keogh still exist. It would be fun to do a trail ride along that route.

Thanks for posting!
I had the same questions as Richard...
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11978) 8 years ago
The 10 and 40 mile indemnity limits are related to the Norther Pacific. Notice that they parallel the track line. Don't know about the old Fort Custer Trail. I know that Mingusville isn't Mingusville anymore.
Ah!

Mingusville became Wibaux pretty quickly.

Quick question, too lazy to start yet-another-thread. Anyone have info on the first trial in MC, of the three Cheyennes who attacked the soldiers working on the telegraph line? I can't seem to find much about it other than my one source (The Plainsmen of the Yellowstone: A History of the Yellowstone Basin). This is when McElrath showed up in town and soon after started the Yellowstone Journal.