Wanted: Your best Prime Rib Recipe
Posted by Matt Hom (+113) 6 years ago
After years of either being deployed, away at a friends place, or of preparing turkey, I'm going to try my hand at a Prime Rib at my home away from home in NC. I'll take any and all advice on making this main staple memorable (in a good way). Richard Bonine---I could swear I saw you post about this awhile back.

Standing by.....
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+594) 6 years ago
Buy a meat thermometer. Get best quality roast you can, the more marbling the better. Make a note of the weight. Black pepper in grinder and sea salt. A head of garlic.

Set your oven rack at lowest point in oven & take out extra racks. Crank up oven to highest it will go...550. If you have convection roasting that's even better, if not no worries.
Cut small slits in roast and insert peeled garlic cloves. Cut slit in thickest point and insert meat thermometer. Put roast in open roasting pan fat side up. Grind some sea salt over entire roast and then cover heavily with ground black pepper. When oven is hot as will go put roast in lowest position and shut the door.
Do not open oven door again until end.
...after 15 minutes turn temp down to 325. Set timer for 13 minutes per pound. This will give you wiggle room for oven differences. Check meat thermometer and see if it reads 115. If it does not, more time in oven. If it does, pull it out and let rest at least 15 minutes before carving.
If longer than that before serving put lid on roasting pan or wrap with foil and keep in warm 180 oven until dinner...this should give a rare to med rare roast...meat thermometer closer to 120 will yield a more done roast. Do not overcook.
You can use roasting pan of drippings to make gravy for your mashed potatoes on stovetop

If you have convection roast feature on your oven, the cooking time is about 25%-35% less...
Posted by Winslow (+385) 6 years ago
Let roast sit at room temperature for about 2 hours prior to cooking.
Preheat oven to 550 degrees F. Place roast in a shallow roasting pan bone side down (fat side up). Do not cover or add liquid. Place roast in oven and immediately reduce heat to 350 degrees F. Roast 18 to 20 minutes per pound for medium-rare.

I've heard never to add salt to roast prior to cooking because it will take the moisture out of the roast. However, the last time I cooked a prime rib, I slathered it with Alpine Touch seasoning (could use a season salt) then refrigerated it over night and used the above method for roasting. My son said it is the best prime rib he ever ate!
Posted by Lorin Dixson (+592) 6 years ago
The other day here in Oregon I went to three stores to get my Christmas prime rib, the best grade any store had was Select. People out here seem to think prime rib is a cut of meat. I asked one of the employees at one of the meat counters about that, and he pointed to a select grade rib roast and said that is prime rib. I always have to settle for choice, but I'm not going to settle for select.
Posted by Steve Sullivan (+1004) 6 years ago
Posted by JMinow (+33) 6 years ago
This is my tested and proven method. I have NEVER had a bad prime rib after I started using this method!

Oven: 500 degrees
Time: 5 minutes per pound, plus 10 minutes at the end.

At the end of the time, shut the oven off. DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR!!!! Let the prime rib sit in the oven for at least 3 hours. It might smoke a little, but trust me, it is totally worth it!

I always inject a liquid seasoning into the prime rib before I put it in the oven. DO NOT put a rub or seasoning on the outside of the prime rib. It tends to make the meat dry. INJECTED LIQUID SEASONING is the way to go! USE A LOT!!!!

Also, put the rack as low as possible in the oven. Fat side up. Do not cover.

When the cooking is done,
1. EAT
2. Get fat
3. Rest
4. Repeat

[This message has been edited by JMinow (12/22/2013)]
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+14645) 6 years ago
Dry age it. You should have bought it a week ago.

Eat like an Englishman.

supporter
Posted by Shu (+1764) 6 years ago
Hi Matt...you're right - this has been discussed here before. Here you go:

http://milescity.com/foru...=all#69022

Hope it helps.

[This message has been edited by Shu (12/23/2013)]
Posted by Matt Hom (+113) 6 years ago
Shu, yup, Thanks. I shall give it the 'ol college try.
Posted by Chris Sirchia (+622) 6 years ago
If you want a rare roast take it however long you cook it, or what ever temp you cook it, at 120F and let it sit for a full 1/2 hour under loosely cover foil. I also use a compound butter shmeared on top of my slab of beast. YUMMMMMMMMY!!!
Posted by Elizabeth Emilsson (+793) 6 years ago
Stores advertise prime rib as a rib-eye roast. In the past fifty years I usually followed my old Betty Crocker Cook Book. I've even stuck it in the oven frozen once. That was the only time I preheated the oven to 500 degrees and put it in for 15 minutes and then reset the temperature to 325 for 25 minutes to the pound.. It turned out rare to medium rare. I let it rest for an hour. It was a beautiful rich brown and very juicy.

I'm sure all of the above recipes are wonderful. It's hard to ruin Prime rib. When I lived in Miles city. I always order a roast from Reynalds. The butchers there knew how to prepare them.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6173) 6 years ago
Gunnar is correct. If you can buy dry aged beef at your store pay the price. It is definitely worth it.