Microsoft ends Windows 7 retail sales
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14970) 8 years ago
That is sad, seeing as my work computer is running Win95.
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10002) 8 years ago
Ack! Hopefully it's not connected to the Internet.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14970) 8 years ago
Yes, it is...
founder
Posted by James Shaw (+137) 7 years ago
Ya, but it'll have support for awhile since most businesses won't switch to >=Windows 8.
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10002) 7 years ago
Why wouldn't they switch to >= Windows 8, assuming they're purchasing new machines or upgrading old ones?
founder
Posted by James Shaw (+137) 7 years ago
Due to the way most businesses work, along with their networking infrastructure and how their employees handle different operating systems, it's unwise making a massive shift to a new operating system with a radically changed GUI.

Banks are a perfect example. Most of their employees are familiar with a particular interface and they don't like to deviate from their normal routine. The cost of re-training your entire workforce would far exceed the cost of the upgrade, so they're not gaining anything from switching. They're actually loosing.

I'm still running Windows 7 on most of my systems. It runs perfectly fine, and better since I have a multiple monitor setup. Not to mention it plays nicely with the family Linux/Samba server in the closet that is running as a PDC.

Microsoft did an unwise thing, forcing everyone to shift to a new GUI because they felt it was time to move on. We seen how well that turned out with PC sales dropping dramatically over the years. Apple, while I dislike them, did a wise thing by keeping the core GUI the same over the years and not forcing them into something different.

I am experimenting with Windows 8.1 with StartIsBack, but it's far from perfect. For some reason, it does not like the scan-over-network feature of my Epson MFC's. It runs perfect under Windows 7, though. Also, some of my software doesn't play nice in it. I'll play with it and figure it out, but I'm not switching it to my production systems until I get EVERYTHING working properly.

Having the latest and greatest OS isn't necessarily a good thing. You want a balance between what features you'd like and what your customers want. You also want to keep a "legacy GUI" in case your customers dislike the way the new GUI works, that way they can run the latest OS and keep the way it operates. Unfortunately, Microsoft said "tuff" and threw everyone into the new GUI, which had a severe backlash. I hope they learn from their error and actually listen to their customers next time instead of thinking they know what their customers want.
Posted by Tim Wagoner (+761) 7 years ago
I am slowly switching my systems to Linux Mint 16. I have all of my programs running on it now. I have wine and playon linux for my windows apps. I am in the process of putting my Adobe Design suite on it. Seems it works quite well from the reviews I have read. I am also able to run CorelDraw x4 Suite on it also.

There is a really nice distribution out called Dream Studio that has some awesome software already installed for graphics that artists really like, some for movie and video editing that are top ranked, and from what I see it has really good apps for audio too.

Windows still is easier for the end user, but Linux is getting better all the time.

Will keep one machine on Windows 7, but Microsoft can shove Windows 8, and 8.1 where the sun does not shine. I have helped many of my family and friends with Windows 8. I do not like it. Start8 Menu for $6.00 does help a lot for new users to Windows 8, and even though Microsoft says you cannot put the old Microsoft games on it, I have successfully installed the games on several machines just fine. You can have Start8 disable the popping in and out of Metro, and it will allow metro apps to run on the desktop in a window with the classic minimize, maximize, and close on the top right.

I have always had a passion for Windows and helping people but with this Windows I no longer enjoy working on them. Call it burn out or whatever, but I DO NOT like where Microsoft thinks they need to be forcing users to go. WTF ever happened to taking care of the customer, and listening to them. Two Os's would sell just fine. One for the PC market and one for the phone and tablet market.

Ok My rant is over.
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hannah Nash (+2533) 7 years ago
Nice rant, Tim, and I fully agree. I have yet to visit with a patron at the Library that enjoys the Windows 8 interface. So far, nothing but strife and problems.

At this time, Windows 8 has a real push in the OS for the "personal experience", ie, all of the Apps signed into an individual account, integrated email, Apps, Store, etc. And in a public PC environment, that just doesn't work smoothly at all.

Additionally, the "block" interface of Windows 8 isn't too terrible to navigate with a touch screen device/monitor, but using a mouse or touchpad drives me to drink; it's clunky and time consuming. (And scrolling through multiple pages of Apps on that Main Screen is infuriating...)

I wouldn't mind seeing a divergence in OS: one for touch screens and one for business/basic computing. Or at least options to have one "present" as one or the other depending on the end users' needs.
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10002) 7 years ago
Well, like Tim said, if you install something like Start8, then you can boot straight to the desktop, still have the same Start Menu as Windows 7, and also benefit from the improvements in Windows 8. You don't have to use or look at the Metro/Modern UI if you don't want. To each his own though.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17178) 7 years ago
We have one touchscreen laptop in our house that runs Windows 8 and I have actually come to like the Windows 8 interface. I think that having a touchscreen is an important part of liking Windows 8, though.
Posted by Jesse Smith (+413) 7 years ago
When upgrading to 8.1 I insisted on a touch screen because I've heard how hard Win 8 was to navigate without one. As it turns out, I rarely touch my touch screen. I have no problems navigating with a mouse alone.

I am getting used to the Win 8 system, and am getting to like it quite a bit, however the mail/contacts apps are pure crap. I had to install Windows Live Mail just to carry on my normal email activity which includes using email groups that are not supported in Win 8 Mail. Not to mention that one of me email accounts is a POP account which is also not supported in Win 8 Mail.

I kind of like the deal where your Microsoft account signs you in for almost everything, but I tend to embrace technology that I know I will be forced to use weather I want it or not. I've known that is the waive of the future for years. I predict that as internet and wireless tech. continues, hard drives may actually start shrinking in size because EVERYTHING will be in the cloud weather you want it there or not.

I've had some moments where I thought a 12 ga. would be the proper tool needed to tune up this new computer, but in the end, I think I will grow to love Win 8 (or whatever the next release in the new Win platform will be after they figure out what they screwed up in the first attempt(s)).
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+2052) 7 years ago
I agree with you on 8. I felt the same way when I got mine in late Feb.I thought about chucking it in the nearest snowbank. Just now getting used to it. I have used XP so long that 8.1 was totally foreign to me. I bought it at Best Buy figuring the Geeks would make it easier as I had a lot of stuff to transfer. That was probably my biggest mistake. They made a mess of my transfers. Just now getting that straightened out. Right now I have them both running side by side. So it is a new adventure.