The Sound of "music"?
supporter
Posted by Don Birkholz (+1274) 7 years ago
I thought Carrie Underwood did a very fine job on The Sound of Music although I have a few comments. I thought she tripped at the start of the show and the news reports say she indeed did trip and almost fell. But I was surprised when she started singing with what looked like a brand new American guitar. I am curious to see if a 1940 German guitar (from 70 years ago)looks the same as a brand new American guitar.

I remember watching an episode of Bonanza where "Hoss" Cartwright was loading a wagon wheel cart with small square bales of hay. I didn't think they had square balers in the 1880's.

But I think Carrie did a fine job under the circumstances, tho I would prefer the Julie Andrews version.

[This message has been edited by Don Birkholz (12/6/2013)]
supporter
Posted by Jeff Denton (+762) 7 years ago
It's probably impossible to outdo the original classic but I don't know why so many people are dissing this great new version. However I must say the most impressive part of it all is the Willis Family sideshow.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+2036) 7 years ago
I thought the show was very good. I think Carrie Underwood is one of the best singers there is. She is expanding out of her country roots to a more broad audience.
As to acting ability in a musical, I would rather have a great singer who is not such a good actor, then having a great actor who can't sing.
This was her first try at acting in a live musical on TV. No replays or do-overs. I wonder how many do-overs Julie Andrews did in her classic version.
Posted by Sheri C. (+57) 7 years ago
I watched it to and thought the whole cast was great. Yes even Carrie Underwood. I loved the movie with Julie Andrews, its one of my favorite movies.
At first when I heard they were doing this show I thought to myself no one can replace Julie Andrews. Then I was told it was like a play not a redo of the movie then I was like I have to see this.
I did notice Carrie Underwood almost fall but I thought she handled it gracefully.
A must see..
Posted by Kacey (+3158) 7 years ago
I thought it was amazing. There were times I closed my eyes and just listened to Carrie sing. She sounded so much like Julie Andrews. I loved the original, having gone to it at the Montana several times when it came out so long ago. I thought it was very kind of Julie Andrews to speak to Carrie and give her blessings on doing this.
Posted by Forsyth Mike (+473) 7 years ago
I haven't seen the TV show yet -- we have it on the Tivo to watch at some point.

The movie is one of those that is best appreciated in a real movie theater. It's very sad that there about 3 generations of people now who have never had that chance (and likely never will). I don't care how big of a TV you have, it's better on a theater screen.
supporter
Posted by Amorette F. Allison (+1915) 7 years ago
I know some classic films get re-released to the 'big screen' in big cities for special anniversary showings. Some movies are SO MUCH BETTER on a BIG screen. Not one of those dinky little multi-plex screens but the real deal.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14948) 7 years ago
I am curious why the original poster put the word music in quotations.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17230) 7 years ago
Because its Carrie Underwood???

I would have done the exact same thing.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+16946) 7 years ago
I have found that whenever someone attempts to watch the original "The Sound of Music" movie at my house it inevitably results in "The Sound of Snoring".
supporter
Posted by Don Birkholz (+1274) 7 years ago
I could have asked "The Sound of Music"?, or What did you think of "The Sound of Music"? These subject descriptions are designed to be very brief and I was being brief. And to me, "music" and the "sound of music" are the same (and maybe redundant), so I only put quotes on "music" so no one could accuse me of being redundant.

If I said the "Sound of snoring" someone would say that is redundant since you cannot snore without making a sound.

[This message has been edited by Don Birkholz (12/10/2013)]
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14948) 7 years ago
Thank you for your "explanation"
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3674) 7 years ago
Tis the season for smarmy, cavity creating, moral story, claptrap movies that have lingered too long. "The hills are alive with the sound of my apathy." BAH, HUMBUG!
I have found that whenever someone attempts to watch the original "The Sound of Music" movie at my house it inevitably results in "The Sound of Snoring".

That's because your TV is about 1% of the size of screen that's needed to truly appreciate that movie.

[This message has been edited by Forsyth Mike (12/18/2013)]
Posted by Elizabeth Emilsson (+796) 7 years ago
I had to stop watching after the second song. I felt it was raising my blood sugar level.
I finally got around to watching parts of this show via the Tivo.

I'm no connoisseur of live stage performances, but I thought the ACTING in this thing was some of the worst I've ever seen.

And the casting was ridiculous. The guy playing the Captain looked to be about 25 years old....not old enough to have been a naval captain and definitely not old enough to have fathered seven children (one of whom is "sixteen going on seventeen").

The woman playing the Mother Abbess, while she had an excellent singing voice, was also completely wrong for the part agewise. No nun ever reaches the post of Mother Abbess in an abbey in her 30s (or 20s?). Only the older, wiser, far more experienced nuns make it to that position. (The lady in the 1965 movie was perfectly cast... I had a great-aunt who was a Mother Superior in a convent in Nebraska and she was like a carbon copy of her.)

Carrie Underwood's singing? Well, she sounded like an amateur to me. I realize she was live onstage, where Julie Andrews' performance in the movie was recorded in a studio; but comparing the two performances, you'd never think you were listening to two 'professional' singers. Julie's rendition sounds fluid and smooth; Carrie is ragged and rough and she takes breaths in the wrong spots. She sounds like she needs a few more rehearsals.

On the plus side, I thought the staging was beautiful and the technical achievement was excellent. It probably would have been much more "awe-inspiring" to see it in a live theater rather than on TV.

Still and all though, I think the 1965 movie is the best version of this particular story.
Posted by Elizabeth Emilsson (+796) 7 years ago
The fact the movie was filmed in Salzburg and the surrounding country side gave it an edge that cannot be duplicated.