Joe Elliott & Johnson County Range Wars
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+591) 7 years ago
I stumbled on this interesting blog of stories written by Joe Elliot's grandson Chad. There is some Miles City/ Custer County overlap.

"About this blog-
I started this page to chronicle my occasional research about my great-grandfather, Joe Elliott. He is known to history as a participant of the Johnson County War, in Johnson County Wyoming in the spring of 1892. It is known that he was part of the invading party that was hired by the Wyoming Stock Growers Association in 1892 to arrest or kill certain individuals in Johnson County that the association’s board deemed a threat to their industry in that country...."

http://greatgrandpajoe.wordpress.com/
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14673) 7 years ago
This is some truly fascinating reading. Thank you for sharing.
founder
Posted by Kenny Vail (+121) 7 years ago
FYI - Cindy.
There is a list of all the weaponry confiscated from the "Invaders" - one list for pistols and one for rifles. In case you are interested, two weapons were thus identified with Joe Elliot:

Colt SAA #141080 .44 WCF 1891 - Detective
Sharps 1874 "62453 .40 cal. ? 1 belt, holster, ctgs. - Detective

Kenny
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+591) 7 years ago
Kenny- Thanks. That's interesting in itself. I was researching a man named in one of his stories, so reading about Joe Elliott was just a bonus.
supporter
Posted by ike eichler (+1230) 7 years ago
Thanks for sharing that interesting account. The best account of the "Stoneville fight" is Doug Engelbretson's book EMPTY SADDLES FORGOTTEN NAMES. Most folks know that Stoneville is now Alzada.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14673) 7 years ago
Most folks over the age of 75. It Is news to me that Alzada use to be Stoneville, Ike. Glad I now know. Why the name change?

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr. (11/19/2013)]